1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is it normal for meditation to lead to mood swings?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Spectrum, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Spectrum

Spectrum Member

I have been meditating for about six months. In this period, I have developed some intense mood swings. I have some days where I am intensely happy and loving life, and then I have other days (or hours, or minutes) where I am intensely unhappy and hating life.

Previously (especially some years ago) I used to hover very consistently at a neutral level of "moderately frustrated but fairly content". Today I am the opposite of that.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. I think on average, I am slightly happier than I was before. I am just far less stable.

Is this normal?

It seems very odd, because meditation is often prescribed as a cure for mood swings.

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

It is - in the long run. But if you read through the forums, you might find out that meditation is not a cure in itself, it rather leads you to your inner blockages. Thats why... burried emotions come up and want to be felt and released. If its too much, take it slow with your meditation... otherwise, just go with the flow. :)

3. william.sharkey

william.sharkey Member

yea Id have to say its not very normal for someone to be a nuetral person before meditation and then a up and down person after meditation. I know I was a very up and down person prior to regularly meditating, now I am more neutral.

4. william.sharkey

william.sharkey Member

id also add maybe you are not meditating correctly. It took me a little while to feel what meditation was. I think the best way to describe it is meditation is the act of becoming aware that the thought in your mind at the present moment is a thought and doing this makes the thought kind of fade away or lose its intensity. If for example this thought is a fear thought or a painful memory the thought would be less intense and it would not feel as important, i.e. the fear or the pain from the memory will go away or at least deintensify.