1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is finally "trying not to think" an ok or bad way to meditate

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by ourson1, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ourson1

ourson1 Member

Hi

I've been into meditation for about on or 2 years now.
    One thing that i've never been able to find a clear answer to was this : some people say that they meditate just by "trying not to think", which can seem perfectly ok cause you're going to lower the racing of thoughts, and others will say that this is a bad way to do it cause you risk to block it instead of ackowledging and thus allowing the thought to disapear...

Well i'm often convinced by those who say this is better to not block it, but in the method "trying not to think", isn't possible to just try not to think, then obviously you're not able to not think at all just by deciding it, so thought will come, then the only possibiliy left is being aware of the arising thoughts and trying to detach from it and let it go, and so the result would finally be "not thinking that much" without "blocking..?

What do you think ?

Thanks a lot, sorry if i've posted in a hurry...I'll come back and take more time later :).

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi ourson,

Youre kinda right with the detach thing. But its also not about conciously detach from anything, it rather happens by itself if you stick to your method (breath, mantra, focusing something).

So lets say you use a mantra, then just stick to that mantra, and forget about the rest. Of course there will be thoughts, but its the focus that tells the brain what you´re up to, and your brain will get used to it and send less and less thoughts.

So when a thought, a sensation, noise, itching, nervousness, etc. comes up... just stick to your mantra. You can observe those sensations or thoughts, but not for too long... let them come and go, but stick to your mantra.

If you get lost in something, thats ok. The moment you recognize it, just go back to your mantra. Be nice to yourself and dont try to force anything.

Hope that helps.

3. Novus

Novus Member

A mantra is a very powerful tool to focus, to calm down and to shut down other distracting thoughts. But in my opinion a mantra doesn't help to experience 'true' detachement from your realm of thoughts. Because a mantra is a thought itself. So instead of detaching from your thoughts you're just focusing on one simple thought and get attached to it.

Ok, so if you wan't to become aware of certain feelings you have, for example you feel that you are afraid but you don't really know of what. Then the best method is to relax, try to search that feeling, let it arise, don't lose yourself in it, rather let yourself guide from it and eventually the thought(s) will arise that cause that feeling of fear.

But in my opinion that's not original meditation. For me meditation is to learn to detach from anything, may it be emotion or the realm of thoughts. When meditating don't think of something, just be (that feels very pleasent by the way :) ). In most cases there still will be thoughts, you're mind is just extremely used to chat all the time. But if you feel that these thoughts no longer affect your mental state, they just sort of pass by, then you're going the right way.
    It's all about experiencing that you don't need your thoughts to feel fulfilled or happy or to even exist. It's the other way around, your thoughts need you to exist.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,
    Novus

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Well the mantra is only a means to get you to a certain meditative point, where you let go again of it. Seems to have worked well for several thousand years, but everyone his own cup of tee. ;)

5. Novus

Novus Member

Haha, I didn't mean to question the method. :) I was just pointing out that one isn't completely detached while still performing a mantra. It is very useful especially if you can let go of it. I personally like to hum sometimes when I feel that my thoughts get too distractive and that is a mantra too in a way.

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Well, i guess the point is, that to "let go" is a very subjective feeling. Some people dont even have a clue, despite a feeling to it, when they hear about it. Thats why people have created techniques which lead you there.

If you tell someone to

then for some it might be to vague. I for myself, for example, have sometimes problems to connect to my feelings (especially under pressure), and wouldnt know how to search for a feeling, despite how to let it arise and then how to not get lost within it. These are highly subjective abilitys that may arise in ones own awareness... but its hard to impossible to show someone how that might work through words. If you know what i mean. :)

7. Novus

Novus Member

I know what you mean and yes your right, my words are vague and can be interpreted in many ways. But either one can try to explain or just leave it all together. :)

8. william.sharkey

william.sharkey Member

yea lol it is soooooo frustrating trying to describe these actions to be people who cant understand them!!! You tell them so clearly (in your opinion) and then they say yes I got it, and then the next sentence that comes out of their mouth proves the exact opposite

9. rajeshd

rajeshd New Member

Hi Ourson,

In my opinion, rejecting the thoughts is the best way. See it from a different angle,

From your inner side - your mind is creating situations, the brain is processing and making you understand on what it is. We call these as thoughts as that is the most nearest word to describe this process. :)

From the outside - Thoughts do not just rest in their creator, they trigger certain feelings leading to emotions which take shape in the ether and remain there. And our brain being a receiver of cosmic energy, is also prone to picking up emotions/thoughtforms created by others. So you get bombarded by the outside as well.

So the best way is to keep yourself locked up using determination. When the thoughts arrive in your mind, just ignore them. The positive force does not comes as a thought, it comes as an experience. So dont worry about rejecting the thoughts, it is absolutely fine.

In case you get distracted, come back.. there is no harm. Someone already wrote that you should not put yourself under pressure. Meditation is to ease out and not to create mental pressures.

When you start meditation, do a prep work.

1. Sit in whatever posture is convenient to you.

2. Pray to God from your heart that you are willing to experience the bliss. Pray it so loudly in your heart that you should feel like your words are expanding in the entire universe. God does not needs loud prayers, but surely he is always listening. :) The loudness inside you will create a determination automatically. This will lock your body (ether and real) to not receive anything distracting and be ready to move to microcosm.

Post Prep work-
    3. After you finish your prayer, if you have mantra, then go ahead and start reciting it. Remember, mantras work like a platform for your mind to remain focussed. It is best to do "mansik jap" of mantra, which means when you recite the mantra also think about its meaning. It will help your "always on the run" mind to get involved in the meditation.

4. When you are reciting mantra in your heart, do not stress your eyes while looking at the black screen ahead of you. Be calm and try to find a point in that blackness. In case your focul point starts running up or down, do not bother. Our eyes are not made to remain still, they have to wander, that is how nature has programmed.

4a. In case you do not have mantra to recite, just repeat the name of God. He knows the names that we have given to him. :)

5. In case you still not able to focus, bring your entire concentration to your breath. This will help you remain focussed. :)

6. After a while you will feel that your body may start feeling dizzy but your consciouness will be still active. You may also experience that your focus will start moving away from physical to mental. This is like entering from physical to mental plane which will appear to you as dream state.

7. It is in this dream state you will find that your own thoughts are very powerful. They will take shapes, give you experiences. Just keep ignoring them and try to remember that you are praying to God to attain bliss. This regular exercise will keep you focussed when you shift from physical to mental planes.

8. After some regular exercise, you may experience state of ecstasy, shivers expansions etc. These are all good signs as your ehereal body is now preparing to ascend to higher realms.

So much to say, but I will just stop here. :)

Hope this would be helpful.

God Bless All,
    RajeshD