1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is anyone out there deaf?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by neilcamp, Jan 12, 2008.

1. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

Perhaps a strange question. How can you use lifeFlow if you are deaf? Of course I don't mean 'stone' deaf. I have a congenital deafness that has deteriorated over the years so that in layman's terms I have a hearing loss of about 85%. Imagine turning on your TV in a sitting room so loud that people around you want to say 'Please turn that noise down!' Well, if I take my hearing aids off, I still don't hear one sound of that TV noise. Without my hearing aids, I can hear noises like a cup smashing on a floor, a hammer pounding at a nail etc, but other sounds elude me unless I wear my very powerful hearing aids which bring sound back into my world. My hearing aids are my ears and I am indeed grateful to modern science as it would be hard to live in a world of silence.
    When I went into LifeFlow meditation, I tried level 10 using really good quality ear phones and then again just from my PC external speakers. I found that the difference was enormous. I couldn't get focussed when the sounds came from my speakers, but when I used the ear phones I was enveloped by the sound and found it worked well for me.
    I just wondered if anyone else who has a deafness problem has had similar results.

2. luvlilade1

luvlilade1 Member

I am not deaf, but I noticed the same thing. I have my meditations on my MP3 player.

3. Erika

Erika Member

Hello Neil.
    I am deaf. I have sensorial nerve deafness and went deaf at the age of 5 from having measles. I have 2 hearing aids and they are very powerful. I am 90 decibels down in each ear which is severe. Have you got digital hearing aids? If not you should get them they may help you, and you can use a loop function to hear better. Don't give up I struggle but do manage. Hearing the talking on Michaels CD was sometimes hard for me, but I can hear most of it.
    All the best.:)

4. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

Hello Erika
    I also have two hearing aids, and, yes, they are digital. They are so much a part of me that I call them my 'ears' and seldom refer to them as hearing aids. I do use a loop for TV listening. I truly consider that I am fortunate to be alive in this current technological age. Image having a severe hearing loss, like we have, 100 years ago! I will never give up Erica, because it isn't a struggle for me - it's part of my life; my Karma; and I mange extremely well.

5. Larry Gessner

Larry Gessner Member

other senses

Thank you Erica and Neilcamp,

Although I am not deaf, I can empathise with you. Which brings up a very good point. I know that there are other technologies that they have developed that use vibration to transmit sound through other parts of the body( like through the collarbone) I am not familiar with exactly how this has progressed through the years but I think it is worth checking this out. I am imagining feeling the vibrations and allowing the mind to somehow compensate where and how the information is being received and adjust itself to receive the benefit.

I know that for people who loose the use of one of their senses that they gain perception in another. The brain adjusts for the loss. So what I am saying is that there should be some research on this and if we all look for it. we should be able to find something that will help.

What I am thinking about right now is how to help people who are totally deaf. So by bringing this up, you may have opened a whole new area that perhaps has been over looked by other in this field. I see Michael and project-meditation solving this and becoming famous for it.

6. Erika

Erika Member

Hello Neil.
    I also call them 'my ears' strange that. I can hear normal tv and music without the loop system though, so I think im lucky.:D

Hello Larry.
    You are right about gaining on another sense when losing one. I have an amazing sense of smell. It has saved our life twice with me smelling a gas leak.

I am ok when I listen to Michaels tapes, but the talking parts are hard for me.

7. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Whole body listening

LifeFlow meditation tracks contain 2 wave forms that make the tracks still very effective when listened to correctly by those suffering from hearing impairments.

Monaural and isochronic waves share one big advantage in that they can both be listened to over open speakers, i.e., without need of using headphones.

There is an additional benefit to using entrainment waves over open speakers.

I haven't seen much research on this specifically, but personal experience has led me to the conclusion that we "listen" with our entire body, not just our ears. Years ago I went to a concert and met a friend there who has been completely deaf since birth. No auditory capability whatsoever. And yet there he was at a concert, obviously enjoying himself immensely. He was fully engrossed, moving in rhythm to the music. When I questioned him about it at a later time he explained that he feels the pulsation of music in his body. I have since witnessed similar responses in other deaf individuals.

Those of us with normal hearing may not be as aware of the effect that sound vibrations in the air have on our bodies as a whole because we focus our attention almost exclusively on those vibrations as they are received through the normal auditory mechanism, but if we tune that out we will often find that we continue to experience the sense of "sound" through our body as a whole.

Taking this a step further, entrainment waves restricted to a set of headphones, such as isolated binaural waves, will impact only our ordinary auditory senses. Monaural and isochronics, played out in the open air, however, have the capacity to impact and influence the entire body. Again, I can't point you towards any concrete scientific studies that support this idea, but I have seen it demonstrated so often I have no doubt as to its veracity.

Michael :)

8. CH

CH Member

so what kind of earphone do you use?