1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Introducing myself, I'm Big T

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Big T, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Big T

Big T Member

Hello everyone, I'm Big T. I've been using TM off and on for 30 years and discovered this site in pursuit of deeper levels of success. Look forward to hearing from you. :D

2. Still Waters

Still Waters Member

Welcome. I am sure you will find this forum friendly and inspirational like so many of us. So many different kinds of people with different perspectives on making the most of your life.

Welcome aboard!

3. LP

LP Member

New to the Community

Hej, Every body I am new in this Community, i have just started Discover Meditation,while listing to CD.2. I found it hard to concertrate due to noisesy environment outside. Need som advice on which noise canceling headphone to bye not too expensive but as good for Meditations.

Will be greatfull for advice. Thanks.

Lil

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Welcome lil and BigT!

cool forum you folks have dropped in on :).

Lil, noise canceling headphones are usually fairly costly. Pollyanna had a noisy environment in her early stages of LifeFlow use, She may have some ideas.

shine on :) :)

jim

5. LP

LP Member

need som advice

Thanks Jim,

Waiting for som reply

Lil

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

LP, it might be...

wait, first things first.

Welcome to the forum :) ( forgot my manners there )

LP, it might be a good idea to ask this question again in the "Meditation Chatterbox" and direct it towards Pollyanna in the title. She reads that section more frequently ;)

7. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

I'll give a recommendation here and Polly can move it to where ever is most appropriate later.

I've tried many noise cancellation headphones over the years. In my experience you're not going to find a good pair of cancellation headphones cheaply. The less expensive ones have been universally disappointing. I've never found an inexpensive pair that didn't have problems with very prominent humming or buzzing sounds due to the cheap noise cancellation mechanisms they use. If you want noise cancellation with quality sound you're looking at paying something close to $200 or more. There are two I've found to be very good.

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 QuietPoints,

and...

Bose (Quiet Comfort) QC-2 or QC-3 headphones.

The Audio-Technicas retail for about $190 - $220, depending on where you purchase them. The advantages of these over the Bose headphones are as follows:

Price - About half the cost of Bose.
    Comfort - These feel more comfortable to wear.
    Durability - Very stoutly made. I have yet to break a pair.
    Sound quality - Excellent, particularly the high and mid range tones.
    Cancellation - I find them to block out more noise than the Bose, especially the QC-3 model.
    Battery - Very long battery life. Takes 3 AAA batteries

Downside:

Bass - Base tones are good, but not a standout feature. Also, if you turn up the bass via an EQ device you may hear some sound distortion/rattle.

Bose QC-2 and QC-3 will run about $300 to $400. The QC-2 are, in my opinion, better than QC-3s, but they're also more expensive. The advantage of the Bose QC-2 is:

Bass - The base tones on the Bose are slightly more crisp and pronounced than the Audio-Technica.

Downside:

Durability - Could be better. I have broken more than one pair of these through normal use.

Another brand you might consider is the Sennheiser PXC-450. These have very good sound; perhaps the best I've heard, but the noise cancellation is not as good as the Audio-Techica or the Bose. My primary issue with Sennheisers is their flimsy construction. They break easily. They are also expensive, running around $300. I don't recommend these, but some people swear by them.

All in all, if I was in the market to purchase a pair I'd go with the Audio-Technica. Better construction, outstanding noise cancellation, very good overall sound, and 30 to 50% less expensive. You can also turn off the noise cancellation and still use them as a standard pair of headphones.

Others I've tried and been very disappointed with:

Various JVC, Maxell, Panasonic and Sony models. I have yet to find a model from any of these manufacturers that doesn't have distinct sound problems and/or durability issues. They range in price from about $30 up to around $200. I won't purchase any of these brands again.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks ~R~ ;)

9. LP

LP Member

Hij Edwin,

Thanks you and everybody for welcoming me,

That was sweet,

Greeting from Sweden.

Lil.:):):):)

10. LP

LP Member

:cool: Ta-tsu-wa Thanks,

That was realy great help and very informative,

and thankyou so much.

Love this COMMUNITY!!

LIL.:):):):)

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hej Lil !

You are welcome !

Sverige is my favourite holiday destination in the whole wide world. I have been there ( again ) for 3 weeks last Juli :D.

Hej då ;)

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Big T and Lil and welcome to the community - been extra busy with visitors the last week or so, with more arriving today and tomorrow.

You've certainly received better advice from Ta-tsu-wa about the headphones than I could have given you - he is extremely knowledgable in audio equipment, meditation, entrainment etc. etc. etc. etc. :)

Because of various renovation work and 3 yapping dogs, I have learned to listen to LF at various sounds in the past. Now I seem to be able to block out or ignore the sometimes distracting noises.

Through LF the yapping of the dogs (3 lovely little papillons) that used to really irritate me, no longer has the same effect, which is wonderful.

I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

All this talk of noise cancellation reminds me one of the Buddhist meditation classes I was at. The classes were held at the local community hall. On this particular occassion, it was being held in a room just upstairs from the hall, and this particular evening there was a band playing (usually the bands are at the weekends, but for some reason this was on our meditation evening). At the start of our 20 minutes of meditation the band hadn't started but, shortly after they got going, and they were loud!!!! Some people obviously found it too distracting and I could hear them fidgeting in their seats. I took my own hearing of the sound to simply recognise that I was not maintaining the focus of the meditation and so just chose to return to the focus. Yes, the noise did keep bringing me back to it, but again and again, I just used that as a trigger of recognition and returned to my focus. Within a short time, I was able to maintain my focus until the end of the meditation, and the noise simply wasn't an issue.

As the Buddhist teacher said afterwards, that was a good practice of our patience and focus.

From silence comes sound. To silence sound goes. Listen beyond the sound into the silence.

;)

Hugs

Giles

14. LP

LP Member

Looking forward.

Hej Giles C,

Well, well, well! That was som though Buddhist Meditation. How well said by the teacher, a realy though learling which brings out the best in you.

I cant say for myself now, like you and Pollyanna. But i do hope to reach that level of Meditations one day. I have a long, long jounrney, but looking so forward to it. Right now i am still at the level Discover Meditation,yapping dogs do inritate me now.:eek::eek::eek:

LIL.:D

15. LP

LP Member

Small World

Hej Edwin,

How interresting! What a small world.:D:D:D:D

LIL.:cool:

16. Shant

Shant Member

Hello everybody

Namaste! (We in East say Namaste as a greeting. namaste means "I honor the divinity you are")

This is Shant from Nepal. I have been practicing meditation for the past 1 and 1/2 years in order to prepare myself for Kriya Yoga. I have hypertension. My BP was obstinate enough to stick to 170/110. Following the docs advice, I've started taking one pill a day. I'm 100% positive that some day it'll get down to normal healthy levels through daily practice of my meditation.

I accidently discovered the website while surfing on the net. Loved the LifeFlow Demo. Used LifeFlow 10 (Thanks to Mr. Mackenzie for his generosity) to speed up my meditation. Last week I used it for the first time and was (am) fully satisfied. I had out-of-body experience! It lasted for about 10 secs.

I have to say something about the Discover Meditation though:

1. The 5-20 mins Timer is a nice concept but it would have been even better if the voice in the beginning would not be there.

2. The other disturbing thing is the ringing of bells to inform the Meditator about the end of time. For the novices it wouldn't be a problem. However for long time meditators who can go deep quickly the sound can be jarring to the nerves. Instead of jingling bells the mild sound (something like the tinkling in LifeFlow 10) would have been pleasurable to the ears.

2. And finally about the pronounciation of the Mantra: Is it Shir-am or Sri-Ram? We should not forget that Mantras are very powerful tools. Whatever Mantra we chose we must be careful enough to pronounce it correctly.

Love and peace to you all :)

17. freedomtrails

freedomtrails Member

Noise cancellation

That's good stuff Giles. . . Thanks. . .