1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Intro + Question

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Advaitar, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Advaitar

Advaitar Member

Hello,

I found this site after doing some research about Holosync. I was using it for 2 months due to a recommendation from a friend whom I trust a lot. He used to suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and after using the first level for about 1.5 years, he is a completely different person now. Even so, based on my limited research, my personal opinion has become that Holosync is overhyped and overpriced. Plus, their aggressive marketing is annoying. ;)

What made me switch to LF were the testimonials on this forum and how it is being sold as an aid to meditation rather than a substitute for. I've been doing meditation as taught by the free download since last week with the difference of finding I gravitated towards focusing on the breath. Last night, I reached a point where I couldn't 'feel' my body and my breath became very small. Does that mean I'm doing it correctly?

I didn't want to this to be a long post but there is something that I've been wondering for a very long time:

Two years ago, when I was 21, I had a very interesting experience. I was sitting around watching tv and all of a sudden I felt a flash of insight. One moment I was 'me' and the next I was someone different. I started to understand things, there was a giant leap in my awareness. The idea of right and wrong just disappeared from my mind. Even so, I felt like I wouldn't make the choice to hurt people because I felt a deep compassion even though it wasn't 'wrong'. Every possible outcome seemed equally blissful or joyful, a feeling which I constantly had. My mind which was usually very busy, switched off. But without conscious thought, I was constantly getting insight into things. When I spoke, I started to say very profound things. But it didn't feel like it was me speaking, rather I felt like I was somewhere outside and above my body watching myself say things I never even knew I understood. And that was a literal experience on top of the constant feeling of 'not being me', just a constant awareness of myself as one human being part of this world. I started to feel like I understood the system we humans created that we defined as reality. Not just in this moment but in an infinite time line. I found myself feeling this invincibility as though I held the world in the palm of my hand. Using 'myself' as a tool, I could shape the world in anyway I like because in the infinite future and with understanding of the system anything was possible like a ripple causing a tsunami. Those are just a few examples which I feel capture the realization that I had best.

Half a year from the time I had that epiphany, I was on a hiking trip and I was trying out a technique taught to my aforementioned friend called the Sedona method. While I was doing releasing, I suddenly felt sucked back into my body, like I has lost my wings and crashed back down to earth. I lost all those realizations that I had and my 'ego' began to emerge again.

I have often wondered what happened but never gotten upset about 'losing' those things. I guess there were some remnants of the realization like not holding on to things. I never made any effort to really find out but the experience did get me interested in spirituality so this is how I ended up getting interested in meditation which led me here. I was hoping by sharing my story, someone could tell me what it was. My current theory which I got from reading One Taste by Ken Wilber is that it was a common experience of the lowest post conventional/transcendental stages. I'm just a kid who read one book so I don't have much faith in my hypothesis.

If you have read this far, thanks for your time. :)

2. ChilliPeppa

ChilliPeppa Guest

Hi Advaitr,
    Wow congrats on such a profound experience! Thanks for sharing that.

As for you experience in meditation, yes your experience of slower breath and losing awareness of the body is correct. It is part of one of the stages that can be experienced in meditation and simply means your are doing it right. Sometimes the breath can seem to almost stop or suspend. This is OK.

3. Advaitar

Advaitar Member

Good to know. Thanks.

Thanks also just for replying. I was starting to feel a bit ignored. :p I was hoping someone would have some answers or explanations about my experience.

4. Grey

Grey Member

weekends are usually very slow times for posting on the forum. people get out doing other things and are not tied to their computers so much like on weekdays. occasionally there will be no postings at all after Friday evening all the way until Monday morning so do not feel neglected. as long as i have been a member of the forum it has been that way.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Advaitar and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

Excuse me if I take you words in a different order; I tend to do that sometimes as my responses seem to flow in that way...
    I doubt anybody could actually tell you conclusively what it was. The only knowledge of truth comes from within the Self. You will undoubtedly know within what it was, but whether you have the terminology to put that into words that you can bring to your conscious mind is another matter... however, that may come with time and experience.

This is the thing about being on a spiritual path. People often think they are out there to seek the truth or understanding, but the truth is already known and understood; what we truly seek is the means to express it and, to the best of my experience and knowledge, there are no words that can explain it. As with meditation where people try and put into words what it is like when it is truly experienced, nobody can quite explain it in any way that encompasses the complete sense of awareness that just IS.

Yes. No. There is no wrong way, and there is no correct way. Whatever you did is perfect, but don't get hung up on it or seek to experience the same again. No two meditation experiences will ever be the same. ;)

I had a similar experience when I was younger and my parents friends were visiting (who I knew well). We got talking about something (I can't recall what exactly), and I found myself speaking intuitively (not that I knew what that was at the time), and the words just flowed without me thinking. I was using words that, had I thought about what I was saying, wouldn't have entered my mind, but it was almost as if I'd swallowed a dictionary and was able to clearly articulate the points I was saying in a manner that put me on a level par with the intellect of the adults I was speaking to. I remember it happening and surpised myself at the time, but this sort of things only happens infrequently now. I do however tend to answer forum posts by just typing what comes out and not really thinking about it too deeply; I guess I sort of know what needs to be written after I've read the post I'm responding to, so why let the mind and ego get in the way? :rolleyes:

You will get similar experiences throughout your life. Enjoy.

Consider reading a book called One City by Ethan Nichtern, which relates to Interdependence (Interdependence Project | change your mind to change the world) I think it's the sort of book you'll like.

They're not lost, just covered up. They will emerge again when the time is right. :)

Hugs

Giles

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Ummm. Monday to Friday.............only post while working eh! ;)

7. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Points to the theory that we are all employed by Michael to post here... :p

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

LOL! Maybe true. ;)

At home, there's often lots to be getting on with and little time to be online. At work, we have a lunch break, so I can visit during that time (without interruption from t'other half). ;)

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

YOU GUYS GET PAID FOR THAT ????

man do I feel dumb, I have been posting here for free all that time :p
    :rolleyes:

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Me too !!

I do check for spelling errors before posting, and to make sure it wasn't all nonsense that came out ;)

11. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

To the original poster, I don't mean to ignore you, I just don't have any experience like that. I fairly routinely say profound things that I did not know beforehand, but this is a "spiritual gift" as we Christians call it. I just get the insights projected into my mind as needed. I don't have my whole surface consciousness switching place with a more developed soul for months at a time. It is something just not done in the tradition where I belong. That is not to say that it is not possible in another religious or metaphysical framework.

The reduced need to breathe is however a standard effect of meditation. It is sure to happen, although people will often not notice it unless they have a habit of monitoring their breath.

12. Advaitar

Advaitar Member

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if its necessary cause it is my first time posting on forums but I want to express my appreciation. Especially to GilesC for sharing some wisdom.

I don't feel ignored anymore. :D But then again, I wasn't being serious when I said I was anyway. :)