1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Intention

Discussion in 'Thought For Today' started by Michael David, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hold on to intention not distraction.
    Michael:)

2. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Michael,

This came to mind when reading your post "Simply be aware of both intention and distraction". For me "Hold on to..." implies needing to block something else out which doesn't quite feel right, I get the impression that observing is the key, rather than any type of grasping/holding.

But it's only a short statement so knowing me I've probably got the wrong end of the stick anyway :eek: :D

Paul

3. Michael David

Michael David Member

Remembering observing

Hi Paul

I agree you are right on. Being able to observe whatever is happening is a wonderful place to be. I was writing to offer my own route of trying to stay on the path of observing or a way to return to it.

If I were walking along in a state of observing and I notice a bakery and it's wonderful aroma and saw a donut in the window that looked delicious, it might become a distraction. Assuming I lost my "being in observing place" and slipped into wanting or thoughts of food and comfort a way back might be to remember that my intention was to be eating more nutritious foods.

The donut became a distraction and the more I focus on the distraction the further I am away from my original intention. So hold onto intention rather than distraction ( when you become aware of having the choice).

An intention could certainly be to be more observing of whatever is present and then that would be the intention to hold on to when distractions come up. It would really be nice to just continue observing. I hope my path brings me closer.

Paul, how do you return to observing when you notice you are not there and the distraction is powerful are difficult to let go of?

4. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Michael,

Thanks for clarifying; I can see what you saying here more clearly now. Although…:) there is a part of me thinks that if you are aware of the thought/feelings about wanting a cake you’re still observing, but you’re observing your mind/body tempting you! :eek: This mind is attempting to distract you from your goal of eating more nutritious food, but you have observed the thought and can act either let it go or act on it. If you let it go then you’ll no doubt get a pat on your back from your mind for being 'healthy Michael', but if you act on it and stay present when eating the cake (ie not lost in thoughts of guilt/regret!) then you are still observing, either way you never left the observing place.

The way I see it unless you’re unconsciously stuck in thoughts/emotions you’re observing, you’re present. If you’re observing the minds attempts at distracting/tempting you away from your current goals or it helping you towards them (“Move away from the cake shop Michael!” ;)) you can make an appropriate decision in the now, conciously, irrespective of if it supports your goals.

I hope above comes across in the right way as I just typed what came to my mind. I’m far from an authority on these matters so I’d be interested to hear your reflections on my comments.

I can’t say I actually do anything, it’s like I snap out of a daze/dream and instead of the emotions working me like a puppet or the thoughts filling my mind, I can start to watch the thoughts/emotions within me. I wish I could say I could control when and how I snap out of but I can’t. Over time the phases of awareness have become more frequent and also I do try to stay mindful as much as possible, but it’s amazing how easily the mind can take you on a long time consuming journey before you become aware of what’s going on :mad: :D

Paul

5. samsaraspath

samsaraspath Member

Can one of you kind gentlemen point me at a link, video, or book which can help me get through my thick skull what this is all about? The idea that the mind is not "you."

How can your mind watch your mind? How can your eye see your own eye?

If my mind is not me, then who the hell is up there doing my thinking? I can't seem to grasp this. Forgive me, but the idea strikes me as if you are all suffering multiple personality disorder.

I know (suspect) that you don't suffer MPD, but what you describe seems to suggest that you do. The conflict is one of many I can't wrap my brain around.

When I get mad (or distracted, side-tracked, happy, whatever) is it not me being distracted? The duality of all this is confusing. I am me - so far as I know there isn't anyone else residing in my head.

6. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hello samsaraspath,

Your mind is you, in the sense that it holds/maintains the mental construct you reference as an identity. The mental construct which is built through past experience and future hopes/fears. All of this baggage is normally contained in a basket that your carry around, the basket has the identifying label of your name.

But is your mind YOU? You can observe your thoughts (and feelings), so are they you? Or are they simply something you experience? They are impermanent, but the observing of them is constant.

The mind is a tool that generates thoughts, some of which are helpful and others which aren’t – you don’t control your thoughts, don’t think of a pink elephant! But you can observe them and your reactions to them, potentially enabling you to notice things such as unhelpful/unconcious automatic reactions.

Meditation is a tool that helps/encourages the separation out the thoughts/feelings from ‘the observer’ by passively watching/observing. There is a free meditation course you can download on the site, you don’t need Lifeflow to use it so there are no strings attached.

As for links, I’ve dug out a few later for you below based on the title rather than content (I’ve only listened to a few seconds as I need to be cracking on), but Eckhart Tolle and Mooji on you tube are a good place to start. Some of the sound quality isn’t great but you may get a flavour of what I am on about from below.

Mooji Clip 1

Mooji Clip 2

This all sounded a bit odd when I first started to look into it so I understand why the terminology/concept may have you scratching your head a bit. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  7. GilesC

GilesC Member

You're looking for something you cannot see, but you know is there because it's doing the observing. Sometimes this is referred to as the True Self, or The Observer, or the One Awareness.

The Headless Way website has some good simple practical "experiments" you can do...

The Headless Way

... and these help to illustrate the "I" that we refer to when we ask "Who am I?"

LOL! Everyone has multiple personalities, if we take it literally. Persona is latin for "mask" and we all tend to wear different masks in different situations e.g. my "work mask" when at work or the "son mask" when with my mother etc.
    However, that aside, it is the mind that is generating the thoughts, but it is the observer/true self, that you can't see, but that is observing those thoughts arising. A person could undergo brain surgery and have part of their brain removed (and while we're at it why not remove the arms and legs :D) and whilst this may effect how they act physically or disrupt some of their memories, it doesn't remove the observer which will still be there observing.

It's not something that is easily explained, or that can be easily shown. People can only share knowledge or give practical examples that can help to point towards it, but ultimately the realization (Self Realization) comes from within your Self (hence why it's called Self Realization)

Yes, the Awareness is being drawn to the distracting thoughts of the mind, so you observe those thoughts and not the other things going on. The mind is not who you are, though it tricks us into believing it is, however we are attached to our physical bodies and minds quite closely so the confusion is easily made. In short, if you can observe it, you can't BE it, even though you may be attached to it. (perhaps better worded as "... you can't solely BE it ...")

Your questions are not unusual and the realization that gives rise to the knowledge to know the answers is available to you, though it's not simply a case of writing a few simple words for you to understand. The words are just "information", but knowledge comes from putting that information into practice and knowing it for yourself. That takes time (I wish there were a quick fix!) and certainly some of the things you ask are taught in philosophical teachings that span many months or years for some people.

I hope the above is of help to you. :)

Hugs

Giles

8. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Paul

you wrote

"I can’t say I actually do anything, it’s like I snap out of a daze/dream and instead of the emotions working me like a puppet or the thoughts filling my mind, I can start to watch the thoughts/emotions within me. I wish I could say I could control when and how I snap out of but I can’t. Over time the phases of awareness have become more frequent and also I do try to stay mindful as much as possible, but it’s amazing how easily the mind can take you on a long time consuming journey before you become aware of what’s going on."

I agree again. Once you are aware of the consuming journey you have the choice to shift out of it or remain in it. It has become an observation. Sometimes the force of the consuming journey seems too powerful (including body sensations) and the repeating thoughts keep coming back in an endless loop. It is at this time when you have the awareness of observing but not the immediate ability to just let it go that the thought "hold on to intention not distractions" may be used. If the practice of the holding the intention is strong enough it will be able to overcome the consuming journey (distraction) that has come up.

Hi Samsarapath

A book I have found very helpful is The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
    in it he writes "Your sense of self is determined by where you are focusing your consciousness."

Imagine you are watching a movie that is so engrossing that you completely forget that you are watching and become an ongoing part of the story. If this continued you would forget that you are just observing the movie and you might start to think of "yourself" as the character of the movie.

Now switch that to your life and and imagine that the part you are playing "living" in life is like the charcter in the movie but it is real. Or is it? Maybe its just another character part in a bigger movie. What seems to be your self is the mistaken observation of whatever that character is doing. It is tricky and like a puzzle that at some point just seems to make sense. Keep asking questions it is a wonderful journey.

Hi Giles

A superb review and great link. thanks