1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

INTENSE experience

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by bm1988, Sep 27, 2009.

1. bm1988

bm1988 Member

hey all!
    ive been meditating for about 3-4 months now and its been an amazing journey so far. i been meditating laying down in the "corpse" position a lot lately because it's sort of uncomfortable for my back in the half lotus.

so, last night i was laying on my back and relaxing deeply and paying close attention to the present moment. after a while, i got that feeling of "letting go" and feeling my third eye pulsing and seeing white light taking up my entire vision. right after that, i literally felt like my WHOLE body was spinning very fast in circles. my heart was beating very fast and it was one of the most intense/sort of scary feelings ive ever had. it seemed like my body was taking up the whole bedroom and my head was the size of the celing. (even though i was completly still, it felt like my hands were bent a different way than they really were) After i calmed down and the spinning stopped i felt complete ecstacy. i quite literally experienced an full body orgasm...also my body was doing A LOT of little twitches and quick involuntary movements ...can anybody comment on this experience???

Thanks!!

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm not sure....

Giles, Itlandm, are you guys thinking what I'm thinking ?

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi there,

Sounds like symptoms of an out of body experience, though you maybe werent out of body but at least felt your energy body (expanding through the whole room). Maybe someone can tell us more about the orgasm...?

4. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

i am really intrigued......some questions:

how long do you meditate for?
    do you ever fall asleep during your lying down sessions?
    do you use an entrainment tool?

tanks for feedback

and BTW Welcome to PM bm1988!!!!

shine on :) :)

jim

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I think when your body falls asleep and your mind is awake you can become aware of a variety of wonderful sensations. That being said, and as enjoyable as they may be, I think the changes in day to day life are the most extraordinary and beneficial. I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hmm....
    Thinking.... Kundalini Rising or Awareness with True Self....

:cool:

7. bm1988

bm1988 Member

to answer your questions jim...i meditate for 30-45 min per session, ive never fallen asleep while laying down, and i sometimes use music (lifeflow or buddist meditation music) but during this particular experience i didnt use ANYTHING but silence and darkness.

as far as the body feeling like it is taking up the entire room....ive had this feeling a couple times while in the laying down postion. it is a very very wierd feeling, and feels like my hands are as big as boxing gloves and my field of vision with eyes closed is MUCH much bigger than normal.
    that state of consciousness during meditation where the physical body is numb and the mind is awake, are very special moments that are very hard to achieve for me, but when they happen its beyond description. gosh our bodies/mind are soooo amazing and really capable of knowing everything that needs to be known in the universe.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

I was also having doubts between the two indeed ;) Itlandm has had Kundalini risings, he might shed some light on this

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Congrats to the experience anyway, im sure many people would envy you :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Does not sound like a classic Kundalini experience to me. They use the follow a fairly predictable pattern, except the speed and intensity is hard to predict, at least the first times. You can feel it rise through your spine gradually and there is a sense of expectation. Also it seems more likely that it would have happened during a sitting session.

I don't know anything about out-of-body experiences, so I can't comment on that.

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

It didn't sound like a Kundalini experience to me either, but since I never experienced one myself, and when BM1988 said
    that threw me off for a while.

Bm1988, for as far as I can tell, you have had an experience that in Zen is known as "Satori" or "lifting of the veil".

You had quite a powerfull momentary insight in what enlightenment is, full enlightenment that is, also known as "the Buddha state".
    And like Pan said, consider yourself fortunate to have experienced such a moment.

There is nothing to be afraid of, according to the enlightened ones, what you experienced is the only true natural state of man.:cool:

Now to find out how Giles knew exactly what I was thinking ;)

12. GilesC

GilesC Member

There is nothing as obvious as being present. ;)

Hugs

Giles

13. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi BM
    I believe what you experienced is what Buddhism calls 'raptures.' Jack Kornfield in A Path with Heart has a couple of chapters (9 & 10) on this, and says, "rapture is a broad term used to cover the many kinds of chills, movements, lights, floating, vibrations, delight, and more that open with deep concentration, as well as the enormous pleasure they can bring to meditation." He cautions us by saying, "These new states are more like side effects of meditation and the better we understand them, the less likely we are to get stuck in them or confuse them with the goal of spiritual life."

I think it's a good sign, BM, that you were able to attain this experience--you're open and your concentration must be pretty good. :) Transcendent experiences which show us Truth can help in our developing wisdom but there is a danger in wanting more of them - attachment - and we can be mistaken in thinking we've arrived at enlightenment.

Some traditions strive for these experiences, while others say, as some of you have mentioned, that enlightenment is already here and that it's only our mind that keeps us from experiencing this reality. So we look to each moment to experience the divine.... Probably we need to do both - ie, be open to transcendent experiences but practice awareness in every moment.

Google is putting books on line and Kornfield's Living Buddhist Masters is available. If you're interested, check out p. 73 here

Living Buddhist masters - Google Books

Interesting subject, interesting experience! :)

Bhavya

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  14. bm1988

bm1988 Member

thanks all! all of your responces mean so much to me and thank you for taking the time to help me out!!

what i was thinking about the twitches, and little involuntary movements was that there are subconscious emotional blocks in my system and the energy is trying to break through my body but hitting little roadblocks. i am a college student in a very intense major and have a lot of stresses related to that, so maybe my body is telling me to just let go and dont let those stresses bog ya down...

15. lithium56

lithium56 Member

Hi BM (and everyone!)
    I was so happy when I found this thread! I experienced BM's description to a tee when using level 8 this month. Things that I could add here is that while also on level 8, near the beginning of starting it, I did experience that very deep letting go feeling, and I was blessed by seeing this spark of what I can only describe as multicolored light. I think others have experienced similar things as well. It was very motivating on the journey.

Anyways, to continue the story, I would say a "BM's experience" for me occured not too much longer (a week?) afterwards. Since then, when I meditate I feel a rather strong desire when in that very relaxed state etc that there is something just beyond a veil that I can't quite push away. My intuition says that letting go even further will inexorable produce some sort of insight or new experience but I'm not quite there. I feel ready to begin level 7, an and looking forward to it! Has anyone experienced this, or can comment on what this might be?

16. suekerr

suekerr Member

similar experience

bm1988,
    I have had a couple of experiences similar to yours. Both while meditating lying down, and both in the middle of the night when I was likely half asleep.

First time, meditating in the middle of the night when I had woken up. Felt like my body grew to about the size of the car (Subaru Forrester!) and was like silver liquid light. Very peaceful, but a bit scary, and as soon as I started thinking about what was going on, it stopped.

Second time the physical feeling was what I think it might be like to be electrocuted in a good way. Same feeling of growing big, but accompanied with a strong physical pulse that was overwhelming. It was like a blue electric pulse that took over my body and I could hear a loud sound, like thrumming. I let it happen for a while, but then got a bit scared (it was Very intense) and it stopped.

I used to wish for intense experiences like this with meditation. Now I don't wish for it. Sitting quietly doing nothing is very good too.

I recently read something that made me smile and understand the importance of just meditating, no matter what. "If you sit down with the pure intention to meditate, whatever happens next is none of your business."

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this community. It's a very special place.

Sue

17. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Welcome to PM Sue! Thanks for the quote............excellent.

shine on :) :)

jim

18. patwin

patwin Member

Hi All - I'm new to the forum

Great experiences you all are sharing!

I'm a long time meditator (first TM then Dhyana) and I've experienced holosync and others similar.

I am currently working with the Sedona Method. When I get into the ecstatic states with meditation, I now have the presence of mind to let go - or - release them. Hale Dwoskin of the Sedona Method suggests that releasing the ecstasy, or orgasmic feelings expands and keeps them around longer and releasing the negative states gets rid of them forever.

Seems like a good trade off and I'm noticing the deeply peaceful state for longer and longer periods - days into weeks into months.

It's been a very powerful experience.

I'm looking forward to working with Michael's cd's.