1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Info on Midnight Express?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Bryan555, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I posted this question at the bottom of the Classical Magic thread. But, to get the maximum response, it probably needs a query of its own.

Have stumbled across some references on the Net to something called Midnight Express. There was some pretty ecstatic praise from users of "another brain entrainment product" for this 30-minute Lifeflow track. They seemed to indicate that it had been given, here, as a free giveaway. I guess they got their hands on it somehow, and were raving about its powerful effects.

Anyway, it certainly sounds interesting. But I have seen no reference to it here. Does anybody know if Midnight Express is still available for download? And is it one of Schumann Resonance tapes...designed for 7.83 Hz?

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

3. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Huge thanks for this, Giles. It's quite a fascinating "track", so to speak. Will have to wait and see about the powerful effects they were so excited about on that blog I was reading.

4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Bryan,

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Peace & Harmony, and Midnight Express.
    Not the movie Midnight Express though ;)

Peace :)

5. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Uh...Midnight Express wasn't that interesting for me. It's very "urgent", emotionally. And mostly I'm not in that kind of mood.

But I love Peace & Harmony. I listen to it on headphones, and sometimes just put it on speaker. Last night, I "looped" it on the player, and it filled the room for about 2 or 3 hours, while I did stuff and watched TV.

I think it blankets the room with a wonderful, gentle energy. Much thanks for the link. It's getting a lot of use, at my place.

I'm going to give Midnight Express a few more tries, though. Sometimes it takes a while for things to "grow" on me.

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Now thats interesting, it's exactly my repsonse... :)

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Very interesting

Both your comments really grabbed my attention. In particular Bryan, when you say "I think it blankets the room with a wonderful, gentle energy." I wonder if that's because you are resonating with the earth's natural frequency? The Schumman tracks get a lot of use at my place too ;) Really pleased you are both enjoying it so much and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

8. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

tracks

I love Peace and Harmony and Classical Magic.

Midnight Express was not so compelling, but the third playing was better than the first, so as Bryan says - it may grow on me.

peace and joy:)

9. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi pollyanna,

Yes peace and harmony is real good, but I have recently been using Classical Magic and that is getting a lot of airtime while I'm at the computer or reading.....can't wait for creative flow to turn up.

peace :)

10. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I'm just a tad confused about the Schumman part of this, Polly. I mostly use it with open speakers, not headphones, so I figured I was NOT getting the Schumman resonance. Don't you need binaural beats to establish that particular wavelength: 7.83 Hz, or whatever?

Does anybody know? I assumed I'd only get the "Schumann effect" if I put on headphones.:confused:

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

12. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Hmmm. I'm still a bit puzzled. Checked that link and I see Michael's quote: "...what’s more, because LifeFlow is uniquely designed to allow listening over open speakers, it can literally affect your entire home or business environment."

By "uniquely designed", I'm sure he is referring to the two other systems -- besides binaural beats -- which are unique to LifeFlow. But it seems to me that only binaural beats can be so precisely set to 7.83 Hz. The other tones are obviously effective add-ons; but I never realized they, too, could be set with such precision.

Perhaps I just missed that explanation. Can isochronic tones, indeed, be set at 7.83 Hz? Very cool combination, if they can.

I'm no scientist, but I read that binaural beats work by putting different frequencies (say 100 Hz and 107.85 Hz) in each ear. The difference is the frequency created. So the ear would not require, for example, super hearing or great headphones, to hear such a low tone.

But a single tone, set at 7.83 Hz, would require very good hearing, and very precise sound production. Most equipment -- either human or electronic -- doesn't have such capability. At least that's what I have read.

Perhaps I'm just confused, and someone here can quickly set me straight?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  13. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Bryan,

copied this piece for you:-

"LifeFlow places you into extremely beneficial brainwave states which greatly enhance your happiness, well-being, learning abilities and much more… Ordinary audio entrainment programs use only one kind of entrainment wave, commonly known as "binaural beats".
    LifeFlow incorporates not only "Binaural" beats but also "Monaural" and "Isochronic" tones in a structure of 12 simultaneous layers.

Isochronic, Monaural and Binaural each have unique benefits. LifeFlow incorporates all three wave forms in its entrainment matrix creating a wider variety of use and benefits.

The strongest attribute of binaural waves is their ability to create whole brain synchronization. All three wave types produce synchronization, but binaural does a better job than the other two tones. Binaural beats must be listened to with stereo headphones for them to achieve this.

Monaural beats are produced when two tones combine digitally or naturally before the sounds reach the ears, as opposed to combining in the brain like binaural beats.

In a 1973 issue of Scientific American, Dr. Gerald Oster noted that Monaural waves create a far greater entrainment effect than binaurals. Isochronic tones incorporate a single tone, which turns off and on in a specific and accurate pattern and is widely regarded as the most effective method of entrainment. Many people who do not respond well to binaural beats often respond very well to isochronic tones.

Monaural and Isochronic tones share the big advantage in that they can both be listened to over open speakers, i.e., without the need of using headphones. This is a real bonus for people who don't want to be tied down by a pair of headphones with a cord.

An additional benefit to using LifeFlow over open speakers is the fact that we "listen" with our entire body, not just our ears.

Those of us with normal hearing may not be as aware of the effect that sound vibrations in the air have on our bodies as a whole, because we focus our attention almost exclusively on those vibrations as they are received through the normal auditory mechanism, but if we tune that out we will often find that we continue to experience the sense of "sound" through our body as a whole.

Taking this a step further, entrainment waves restricted to a set of headphones, such as isolated binaural beats, will impact only our ordinary auditory senses.

Monaural and isochronics, played out in the open air, however, have the capacity to impact and influence the entire body.
    We harmonically layer precision-engineered window frequencies within exquisitely beautiful music and magnificent sounds of nature.
    The result is an entrainment experience unmatched by any commercial product on the market today."

Hope it's of help to you :)

Wishing you much peace and joy :) :) :)

14. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Karmoh,

I play Creative Flow so much when I am on my computer - my disc permenantly lives there. Classical Magic always welcomes my guests - the only thing is, everyone says how relaxed they feel when they visit that I'm spending a lot of time cooking :eek: hehehe

Glad you're enjoying it too and wish you continued peace and joy :) :) :)

15. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Thanks, Polly. I am sorry to be dense, but I don't quite see the answer to my puzzle, in the piece you copied for me. I think the question is quite simple:

We know that binaural beats can be set precisely at 7.83 Hz. We also know that they cannot be heard at that frequency without headphones. So, using speakers, that leaves us with those "monaural and isochronic tones in a structure of 12 simultaneous layers".

The question: Can monaural and isochronic tones be set precisely at 7.83 Hz? If so, can normal electronic equipment and human hearing convey that frequency, and receive it?

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's a good question Bryan,

For reference...
    Isochronic tones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Monaural beats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's not possible that a single tone can be at that frequency such that the human ear can hear it (the minimum average being around 20Hz), but I think it's a bit like the overlaying of tracks on a piece of music, the slight offset of those tracks (or tones in this case) can be made to create an interference pattern that the brain picks up on and tranlsates internally in the brain at the required frequency.

Not quite sure, but I think I understand the concept, though it would be interesting to know in more technical details.

Hugs

Giles

17. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Yes, it's a puzzle. Too bad we don't have Raven to explain it to us. Michael Mackenzie often describes it in general terms, but the specifics are quite baffling...at least to the layman.

Seems to me that the monaural and isochronic tones so clearly audible in, say, Peace and Harmony, must NOT be set at 7.83 Hz. If they were, we wouldn't be able to hear them.

So what's giving the Schumann Resonance? Perhaps there are beats and tones we cannot hear, which create that frequency. That seems possible. But, unless I've missed it, nobody at LifeFlow has made that claim.

Or, as you say, it might be done by overlaying various frequencies...a sort of "binaural beat" without headphones. But, again, that claim hasn't been made either. A true puzzle.

18. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Bryan, I am not technically minded, however, I do know that entrainment waves do not need to be heard to be effective. I play a number of tracks, without headphones, for a variety of uses including meditation and find them to be just as effective personally. All of Michael's tracks are designed to be listened to with and/or without headphones to receive the benefits.
    When you wrote earlier in the thread “But I love Peace & Harmony. I listen to it on headphones, and sometimes just put it on speaker. Last night, I "looped" it on the player, and it filled the room for about 2 or 3 hours, while I did stuff and watched TV.

I think it blankets the room with a wonderful, gentle energy. Much thanks for the link. It's getting a lot of use, at my place.”
    it was easy for me to agree with your comment because I have experienced so many benefits with all the tracks.

Here's another post which may throw some light on your question:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...8-question-two-about-lifeflow-2.html#post1232

Itlandm's statement may also help with your query:-

"Actually you don't need lower frequencies than 20Hz, as this is the lowest the normal human ear can register. LifeFlow creates lower frequencies inside your head by combining tones of higher frequencies. Binaural beats are created in your olivary nucleus (on top of your brainstem on both sides) by giving tones with slightly different frequencies to each ear. Isochronic beats are created by pulses of tones at audible frequencies, which are switched on or off (or from one frequency to another) at an interval that corresponds to the desired frequency. Again, the sound processing of your own brain assembles these into a steady wave at the target frequency."

And here's one last piece I found from Raven suggesting a simple experiment you may wish to do:-

"Binaural beats are a construct of the brain as you already know, not an external soundwave. The intensity bars on a sound program as rudimentary as Audacity cannot show you binaural waves, only true soundwaves. And even though you cannot audibly perceive those isochronic and monaural beats in the LifeFlow track, the intensity bars will in fact pulsate to their frequency and you can literally watch it for yourself. The fact that you cannot audibly hear them does not negate the fact that they are there, nor does it negate the fact that your body (including the normal auditory mechanisms) is able to register them. The volume may be turned down so low that you don't consiously perceive their presence, but the intesity bars assure you they are still there and still exerting their entrainment influence on you.

Rather than debating theory with you, try this little experiment then use the LifeFlow tracks as Michael has layed out the instructions. In this way you'll prove their effectiveness to yourself. And if you still like to hear those waves in the background then by all means, adjust your bass up slightly. It's a user preference thing."

The same technology is used in Classical Magic and I'm certain Michael would not recommend playing over open speakers if it would not give you the shumann benefits.

I hope the above helps and wish you peace and joy :) :) :)

19. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's true Polly, but the issue isn't what can and can't be heard really.
    The human ear is capable of hearing frequencies as low as about 20Hz (20 waves per second) though this will vary slightly in individuals and some people may be able to hear as low as 15Hz.

The human ear isn't physically capable of hearing a soundwave at 7.83Hz, though things like binaural beats can essentially create a beat at a lower frequency, by combining what the two ears hear simultaneously, to give a beat sound (which can be barely audible and masked by music or other sounds, but the brain can discern them), a bit like a regular drumbeat in music, which can clearly be less beats per second. However, without headphones there isn't the accuracy of having the generated sounds reach the ears at the exactly the right timing to cause the interference required for binaural beats, so we rely on the isochronic and monoaural tones. The question is... (and I don't expect you'll know as you say) how can such tones be classed as being 7.83Hz when the ears can't hear that frequency, and therefore how is that frequency being manipulated to be heard by the brain?

Hugs

Giles

20. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Giles, I thought the underlined part of the following statement from Itlandm covered that:-

"Actually you don't need lower frequencies than 20Hz, as this is the lowest the normal human ear can register. LifeFlow creates lower frequencies inside your head by combining tones of higher frequencies. Binaural beats are created in your olivary nucleus (on top of your brainstem on both sides) by giving tones with slightly different frequencies to each ear. Isochronic beats are created by pulses of tones at audible frequencies, which are switched on or off (or from one frequency to another) at an interval that corresponds to the desired frequency. Again, the sound processing of your own brain assembles these into a steady wave at the target frequency."

peace and joy :) :) :)