1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

In need of motivation

Discussion in 'The Law Of Attraction' started by mummytoashlee, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mummytoashlee

mummytoashlee New Member

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, to meditation and fairly new to the LOA.

I have been reading lots of books about the LOA and have found most of them to be great and very motivational/inspirational.

My problem is that my past behaviour has been very unmotivated and i guess lazy. I am struggling to break this pattern and find that if i do not get daily inspiration from an outside source such as a good book, I quickly creep back to my old habits, negative thought patterns and defeated attitude.

I have been trying so hard and I really want to learn ways in which i can motivate myself without needing constant kicks up the butt!

If anyone can give me some advice about ways to motivate myself, inspire myself and actually keep it up for more than a day, i would really appreciate it.

Every time i start to feel and believe i am making progress, i find myself self-sabotaging and making excuses and being resistant.

I want this to work for me!!

2. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Welcome

As was suggested on this forum back in December by Michael, you might want to take a look at "The Sedona Method" Sedona Method (official site) The Secret self-help program; self-improvement technique

I purchased the CDs and the book and it is proving really helpful. If you don't have money for the CDs right now, then you might just purchase the book to read. There are a lot of really beneficial programs to assist and encourage us. Know that you are loved and that that what will ever work best for you at this stage of your life will appear. "Keep your eyes open" so you can recognize it when it appears.

Thank you for taking time to post on this forum. I wish you peace this day. --Keith :)

3. jsadler666

jsadler666 Member

nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live here

this has really helped me on my path. in near death experiences people describe an overwhelming feeling of coming home. this earth is not my home, so i must be on vacation. i couldn't tell you how many times I've declared in the middle of a stressful vacation, "i don't care what happens. I'm going to enjoy myself, I'm on vacation damn it!" I've just adopted the same attitude in my daily life. when i feel overwhelmed i just tell myself "this is a nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live here." hope this helps.

P.S. if you're wondering about the 666, it's my lucky number. nothing more.

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Welcome

Keith has already given you probably the best pointer you could receive.
    I think the Sedona Method is a very good companion for the LifeFlow system. I bought the Sedona Method book a few days ago and already notice the difference in my daily life just practicing what I've learned so far. I guess if you can justify the CD's they would be nice; but I've learned things much more difficult from a book than the Sedona Method. It seems to be very thorough as well.

Welcome to the Meditation forum.

gus

5. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

I haven' tried the sedona method but i subscribed to their mailing list and some useful things were emailed.
    its worth doing and i agree that it'd be a good companion to lifeflow.
    Books can provide basic starting points for whatever you do in life. You may think books may not be as powerful as you're just reading but the knowledge that is there is very worthwhile.

Divinitywolf

6. filly33

filly33 Member

Don't want it. Don't make whatever IT is into an object that you can achieve. The only way you will ever experience it is if you surrender to it and allow it to be separate from you, then you will see that it can never be had but only lived. If you "have" something, it means that you can lose it, and this can never be lost.

Sorry for being so profound, it just kinda happened that way :S. Cheers.

Mitch

7. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

Well in direct answer to the original question, I find it hard to stick to routine also. As my life changes, aspects of what I do also change and I find myself missing out on things I originally wanted to stick to.

What I do is not to think about the present. Look towards the future and what impact what you do in the present will have. Think how pleased it will make you feel when you've accomplished something and stuck to it. You can always find time for something you truly want to do. Use knowledge and other peoples stories to really spark a deep passion within you, strong enough to motivate you forward.

Hope that helps.

8. mummytoashlee

mummytoashlee New Member

thank you all for your advice and support.

I will definately look into the Sedona Method!

Have to keep this one short as I have a very unsettled baby on my lap!!

Thank you all again. I really appreciate it!

9. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

hi from another mum and compulsive consumer of self-help material

Hi mummytoashlee,

I'm mummy to 3 beautiful girls 2 of the twins:), and as you are asking for advice I thought perhaps you wouldn't mind me sharing these thoughts with you...

How important are your needs, your name here identifies you as a parent only without anything of who you are. I realised that i had been doing it since my first babies and that i had shut out most of the rest of what it means to be me. Not suggesting that you make your bub wait when she needs you, but that you should not forget who you are seperately and connected. The things that make you you can get lost in the world of a new child.

Next...don't be too hard on yourself:p, sleep depravation is really harsh, as is adjusting to the changes that come with motherhood. Look at what your expectations are and think about whether they are reasonable. Then consider what advice you would give to you if you were your best friend, and try to take it. It may be that you are setting goals that are just to high in the current circumstances. Try to make smaller goals, and break them down. And reward yourself for achieving anything.

I've found lists really helpful, mostly because it keeps me more on track of what i want to achieve that day. But also the gratification of being able to cross things off the list. The pat on the back so to speak. As detailed some days as "shower, lunch, dinner, dishes etc.."

Remember it can take a couple of years for your hormones to settle back to normal after giving birth, and they affect you significantly. :eek:

You will really benefit from meditating and caring for yourself in this important phase of your life, and the wonderful thing is that your child will benefit enormously from having a mother who is aware and can access her internal source of peace, they feel what we feel, so don't get discouraged, each day is a new day, each minute is a new minute, and we are allowed to have days off from our self-help obsessions occasionally too ;)

10. Work in progress

Work in progress Member

Oh...oh... just had to run back to the computer with another thought. Not sure if its for you or me, think its for both of us...

Have the confidence and self belief that you can seek in your heart the next step in your path and take it, well.

I have spent all my life collecting "tools" to put in my bucket to use to help myself and with the help of someone i admire i realised that the time has come to start using them consistently instead of taking them out and showing them to people saying "ohhh look at my shiny great tool".

Man I hope this makes sence, what I'm trying to suggest is that maybe self doubt or lack of confidence is what holds us back and keeps us searching for the advice of the published people. Continually searching for affirmation from outside. Do you know where it needs to come from to be real and be integrated into daily life..?

Thanks for helping me to peal another layer of my onion i so want to put a smilie face here!!!!! :) Thanks!!!!

11. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the community. I think how you feel is quite normal :) Well done on seeking out and reading stuff to help you. I can honestly tell you that I definately needed to read a couple of pages from a good self improvement book or C.D. (tape in those days) to give me a kick in the butt :eek: It's normal.

You are amazing and can be, do or have anything you choose but like all of us, you arrived with an incredible brain and no instruction manual of how to work it :confused: I don't believe anyone is lazy - I think we can be uninspired.

Just take it step by step. Are you using Discover Meditation, the gratitude exercise or LifeFlow? These are really life changing tools :) Be kind and gentle with yourself, read some of the success stories here and begin to make your own through daily meditation. I wish you an abundance of peace and happiness on your amazing journey of self-discovery :) :) :)

12. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Mamma`s not always right

Hi,

I worked for more than a decade 7 days a week, sometimes, 2 jobs, very little sleep, then on a "downtime weekend" I would sleep from Friday straight into Sunday afternoon non stop, honestly, hard work isn't the secret our elders thought it was, the new secret seems to be, what excites you, what makes you happy, what could you do all day,what drives you from the inside?

Chances are thats something you can do 7 days a week and not consider to be work......anything less than that is a "have to".....there are enough of those..until you can find something that keeps you up at night with excitement.........its harder to use LOA because your acting on luke warm passion and second hand goals............what do you want, really, really want?

Do you want it enough to let go of what Mamma taught you (but still value) and go after what you want......personaly I think the secret to the secret is in there somewhere...

As Pollyanna stated ( she has a nasty habit of hitting the nail on the head :) ). Anthony Robbins also stated that nobody is lazy, their just unmotivated, lacking a vision that will instill passion and as a result drive......find it, its there somewhere....nestled between your lungs tapping away for your attention......what does your heart want?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  13. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Aaahhh Coenrad, I'm doing my best in the time I take from my own business (and enjoying life :) walks, cycling, nature etc. mainly :D) but I am missing quite a number of great posts along the way. The community is growing immensely which is great and so are the wonderful contributors like yourself :)

I dearly love my mamma and pappa too and would love to spend sometime with them - unfortunately they are no longer of this world, though they will live in my heart forever.

They taught me many things and I in turn try to be an outstanding (as Tony Robbins says) Mamma. I take the best bits from them, the best bits from everything I have listened, read and studied and then make the best decisions for the higher good.

I love your wonderful advice "find it, its there somewhere....nestled between your lungs tapping away for your attention......what does your heart want?"
    That's surely the key or what have we chosen to be here for?

We each have a purpose and a responsibility to mankind and we can have a blast achieving it. Thankyou and I wish you an abundance of joy and happiness :) :) :)

14. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Thanks e-Mamma, you have more juniors under your wing than you think, your work and wisdom here binds so many together.

Trying to learn the morse code of that which lies nestled between my lungs...its tapping, I hear it, its life knocking, now must learn to understand it, then trust it, finally LIVE it.

Every day in every way, getting better and better.....

P.S. I watched Louise Hay's movie - You can heal your life, I couldn't shake it, if i had to an image/energy to you, she is as close as I can get.....kept going through my mind.

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

That has a nice ring to it, e-Mama :)

If anyone deserves a title like that, it is you :eek:

16. blueskygal

blueskygal Member

Finding motivation

I think Robbins has said it about the best.... the idea of threshhold - when your sick of tired of being sick and tired.

To be motivated you have to find enough powerful reasons to want to make the change.

Our comfort zones are nice easy chairs and leverage gives you the "lift"you need to get out of them. Somethings are more easy to be motivated about than others.

I just recently hit threshhold for eating sugar. I am 55 and have fatigue/fibro issues and after reading an article on candida hit threshhold and have again started a weight loss plan. The difference this time is my brain has made the connection that I can't expect to feel good and eat sugar. The two just don't mix. The article gave the many side effects of candida - of which one cause is too much sugar!

I feel confident that this time i will make and keep my goal due to my motivation. So yes you must fine compelling reasons to make the changes you want to make or you won't do it. You also need to identify the blocks to it. I knew deep down that i did not want to give sugar up. And this blocked my success in the past. I thought I could comprise with the devil. But there is no compromise - this is a black/white issue for me.

17. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Dear Coenrad, just finished a late LF7 and read your message. This e-Mamma's eyes hold tears of joy and my cup runneth over.

Years ago I used to have such low self-esteem and no belief in myself and then I began to do the following 2 daily exercises which Brian Tracy suggested to build 2 important factors that all successful people have:-

The morse code for tapping is looking in the mirror (alone) repeating as many times as you like and with passion "I Like Myself, I like myself, I like myself" Bet you can't do it without smiling. :) :D
    And the knocking is "I am responsible, I am responsible, I am responsible"

I know.... sounds a bit crazy :rolleyes: but I just thought, well if this helps me to be happier and successful, I'll try a bit of crazy. So I've thrown down the gauntlet and at the risk of appearing the craziest mamma in the community, I double dare both you and Edwin to try it?

Thankyou and may your lives be blessed with joy and happiness :) :) :)

P.S. Off to do some shopping for tea with my little grandgirlie - when I get back I hope you 2 have done your chores with the mirror hehe

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  18. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Just do it man!!! There are a million excuses not to . . . it only takes ONE step forward to do it. It's the going forward that gets em every time.
    I really wouldn't want to know how many have quit just because they didn't DO it!

gus

19. rubytwo

rubytwo Member

being kind to yourself

In the beginning many people have the same "problem." We have been so influenced for so long as to how to think of everything that we cannot help but keep on repeating the same thoughts..it's just a habit! Like any other habit. Seems hard to "break" but if you can just get to a place where you understand that it is normal, lots of people go through the same thing, and NEW habits happen over time. There's lots and lots of time, nothing's preordained, everything happens in Good time! Sometimes a little trick is to realize that while your mind is still running the same old thoughts, just adding some new ones that feel just a tiny bit better will undoubtedly over time start shifting your focus even if it doesn't feel like it right now. It really is happening.
    Remember things like: there is nothing wrong with me just because I don't feel inspired right now, I may feel more inspired later on. All great things that have happened in the world happened over time. I am going to get there little by little and I really don't need to set up any more rules as to when that SHOULD happen. Be easy with your self...it's OK...you can move at your own pace. There is no point and no advantage in forcing yourself to do something.

20. sogno

sogno Member

Hi mummytoashlee,

Maybe, the very pattern you have to break is exactly what you are describing above. Do stuff even when you are not motivated, especially when you are not motivated. The more you do this, the less 'lack of motivation' you will experience in your life. Maybe it is your negativity the stops you moving forward. We are so used to be negative that as soon as we do something to change that, our subconscious stops us, manifesting itself in different ways; for you it may be lazyness, I know that is my one, coupled up with rage and arrogance. It's painful to look within, but once that it is done, you are done!

Good luck and please keep posting as I'd like to hear about your progress. Lets inspire eachother

Lots of love
    Sogno