I'm new to meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by [email protected], Jan 28, 2015.

1. svdm1x@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Hi, I just started and like others, also wonder if I'm doing this correctly. On the meditations when the man is talking, I picture the things he talks about, sometimes embellishing on them. If it's only the sounds with no talking, I use my imagination and the sounds to create a 3 dimensional place. I'm very visual and can't imagine having nothing there. Is this OK?

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi!

(you may want to change your username to something other than your email, unless you're happy to get spam messages)

In answer to your question, there are many different states of meditation.

On the one hand, if you're imagining some place and creating scenarios in your mind, then your mind is still very active, and whilst this is a level of meditation, it's still not a deep meditation, as you are not allowing your mind to rest and reach a state of oneness with everything (it's a difficult state to describe, but you'll just know it when it's there).
    You don't have to 'imagine' having nothing there, as there's always something there, and that something is you, the observer, observing your state of being. When that happens you'll know it, and you can bring yourself back to the state of attachment to your body and the world whenever you choose. When you are in that state, you'll be completely aware of everything all at the same time, yet not be attached to it. That's the deep state of meditation that people aim for.

Hope that helps.

Hugs