1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

I meditated for the first time today

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by spanishflea, Apr 13, 2009.

1. spanishflea

spanishflea Member

I think so, at least. I'm sure many of you have had the same feeling, wondering if you had done it correctly. Im not sure how I was supposed to feel afterwords. I do know however, that it was calming just to sit in silence and breathe deeply. I repeated my mantra in a mechanical fashion, every time that I would exhale. There were times when my mantra would be interrupted by a passing thought, and I felt twinges all over my body. A majority of these twinges were in my eyelids and arms. I didnt try to fight off any of my thoughts, but when they came I would reinstate my mantra on the next exhalation. While my eyes were closed I saw passing waves of color, mostly yellow. Does this happen during everyone's meditation sessions? It was enjoyable regardless.

There was a point in the first 10 minute meditation, after the bell had rung and my eyes remained closed, where I felt like I could see through my eyelids and saw a white outline of my window and lamp. I found that I could hold the image for a while, but once it became very clear to me it would dissolve. Has anyone else ever had this experience?

I know that I felt calm afterwords, which would be expected with any practice of deep breathing. I know that occasionally afterwords whenever I would take a deep breath a shiver would run through my body. Sometimes it happened spontaneously without the deep breath. It's a great feeling.

Sometime later when I went to school, I got there early and decided to recline my seat in a comfortable position and meditate before going into class, where I am now. It was the same experience, without me being able to see through my eyelids this time...

I feel my second meditation was successful in the sense that before my session, I felt uneasy and kind of depressed. I'm not entirely sure why. It may have been because of a little tiff I had with my girlfriend earlier in the day, in which she criticized my practice of meditation in a negative fashion. She was just lashing out though, it just kind of got me down because I would have liked some support since I was already skeptical I could learn meditation without a teacher physically in the room with me. But, after this second meditation I felt much better. The aching feeling in my stomach was gone, a feeling resembling guilt or nervousness. There was a smile on my face and I was happy to come into class. The shiver ran through my body repeatedly in my walk toward the campus with each breath of fresh air.

So, I'd have to say my first day of meditation was a success. Please share your opinion on my experience.

2. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

In Touch.......

Hey Anthony,
    Welcome to the forum. I meant to say hi when you arrived a few days ago.

I'd say that you are really "in touch" with being able to "flow with it". Your lucid descriptions where you "feel" your meditation without forcing and just observing is "bang on".
    As a newbie to LifeFlow guided meditation all I can say is "just trim your sails" and "sail ahead" with the meditation course provided. Give the LF demo a try once you have absorbed the course....I think you may be impressed.

take care

jim

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. sliccy

sliccy Member

This is rather unusual, in a good way I suppose.

What you have described here comes closest to the experience I have, than any other I have read so far.

I had this happen to me a couple times I think. Although I wasn't sure if I had actually opened my eyes, or if something else was going on. I am glad you brought this up.

The only difference would be that I have a feeling of spinning, and sort of floating above my body.

Thanks for sharing.

4. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Alpha.....first edge of sleep

Hi Anthony (Spanishflea) and Sliccy,
    There is a pretty good chance that you folks have indeed reached the Alpha levels in your meditation. Since the brainwave frequency range of Alpha then Theta then finally the lowest frequency Delta are the "sleep cycle" range we can certainly observe body sensations that normally we would not since we are awake. This is one aspect that at least for me is so cool about my LF guided meditation journey as per the body sensations that are observed.

When I first tried the LifeFlow demo I had not yet downloaded Project Mediation's meditation course (last time I had meditated was in the 70s with TM). What I noticed was a real cool body relaxation wave @ the 7-8 minutes mark where my body sort of "sank into my bed". This is due to the Alpha brain frequency that the brain tracks around that time point with the LF tracks.
    Last week I tried out the LF7 (way before you are supposed to) and holy ?&*$/ it was even more of the feeling of my first LF10 (demo = close to short version of LF10) experience (Although with LF7 I was sitting as I do with my standard meditation practice).
    I am back to LF9 and "grooving along" with anticipation for lower levels to come on my journey horizons.

BYW..I "confessed" about (posted) it (jumping out of sequence to LF7) last week on a new thread on the forum:

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/meditation-chatter-box/1611-confession-tried-lf7.html

Any hey it is pretty cool how you folks are getting to Alpha with Michael's free meditation course........:D

take care all

jim

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. sliccy

sliccy Member

Hello Jim,

While I have waited awhile, and took my time to research LF (using the demo) I have however been using LF10 for the past week. I have been able to "reach" this level before without LF, not nearly as consistent and often though.

It has been very interesting so far.

6. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Cool a LF newbie too....

:)Hey Slice,
    That is slick man :). I really batted the whole LF around for awhile (3 weeks) till I took the plunge. It is just so common sense to meditate guided by entrainment in a gradual approach. All the others just seemed to bash the ol' brain around abit too fast in my opinion. Plus the demos of others were pretty harsh as far as thier soundscape use goes.
    Anyhow patience and willpower to be regular (though man the urge to do the LF makes meditation a drawing force as opposed to a "darn gotta get to that" type of thing :):)

Anyhow good luck on your LF journey.

take care

jim

7. uma_1989

uma_1989 Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences... :)

Today was MY first time meditating...
    I've never tried to do it before... I got my Yoga & Meditation teacher (since 3 days) to teach it... We went by the Kundalini style - trying to activate each of the 7 Chakras one at a time from bottom to top and back... The session lasted over 35 minutes (couldn't feel the time go by)... While we edged to the end of the session - I could feel my face and hands vibrate... My head felt extremely heavy with pulsations flowing through my entire face and my hands were trembling... After activation of all the chakras, my teacher then asked me to keep breathing (inhale-exhale deeply) and he touched my 'third eye' Chakra to transfer his energy... I continued to pulsate with the energy... Then, I was asked to open my eyes - I opened them and there was a huge flash of blinding white light, causing me to close my eyes back, and tears were streaming down my face (I wasn't actually crying though)... I then opened my eyes again, my head feeling very heavy with the pulsations still flowing through my face and hands... In 5 minutes, I was slowly returning back to normal - but I could not deny the feel the force of the divine energy... It was truly an amazing experience... :)
    My teacher told me to continue to meditate (preferably alone), daily for ATLEAST 21 days in a row without missing a single day if I'd really want to see a change...

May God be with you and bless you abundantly...