1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

i feel silly for asking but...

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by lamiddlewood, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lamiddlewood

lamiddlewood Member

Hi everyone,

Ive managed to download my free courses and began listening to them but not sure if i missed some vital information :confused: Basically i keep seeing the word and hearing the word 'mantra' but not actually sure what it is and how you use it within meditation. I have seen a list of different mantras but how do you choose one?? sorry if its a really simple question but thought i bet know exactly what it means before i do something wrong. Thanks :rolleyes:

2. Ras

Ras Member

Hey
    A mantra is simply a word you choose to repeart during your meditation to help you concentrate/relax your mind

You are free to choose whatever Mantra you think sounds the best to you - and after you have choosen you can also pick a new one if you dont really like it after having used it for a few meditation sessions.

When useing your mantra you simply repeat it in your mind (or, say it out loud a bit first). Simply repeat it at whatever speed you like...slow, fast, faster, or very slow...all up to you :)

Hope that helps a bit, otherwise feel free to ask for clarification!

3. lamiddlewood

lamiddlewood Member

Oh thanks for that, i thought it would be quite simple but wasnt exactly sure how you use it as an individual but i guess it is a matter of trial and error or change it when necessary. Thanks a lot for your help :):)

4. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

Mantra

Hi
    your mantra doesn't need to be difficult either. some people use things such as i am calm. I found a site by googling mantra and there was mantra for beginners section and it even played how the mantra sounds which was great, its the same mantra that ghandi used for over 60years

"Om sri Rama, jaya Rama, jaya jaya Rama"

its rough translation means Om and victory to Rama (the self within), victory, victory to Rama.
    Basically use anything that feels comfortable and something that you can associate with.
    Wishing you much happiness with your journey to calma nd tranquility :):)

5. 1st Cause

1st Cause New Member

I appreciate all of you and the info you are sharing to further others success!!! It has helped me, thank you.

6. Super-Charger

Super-Charger Member

Hi Twinkletoes

Whats the url of that mantra site it sounds excellent!

Blessings

TC

7. jodeco

jodeco Member

URL of the simple mantras

Hello all,
    My curiosity was piqued (to put it mildly) by the post.....here is the url:
    Some Simple Mantras, If You Are Just Starting Out

Namaste
    Jodeco

8. Steve Gladding

Steve Gladding Member

Thanks

Thanks so much for the URL

I found a great mantra to start me off on my journey. It fits exactly to where I am now and where I strive to be. Like a glove.

Thanks again. :):)