1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How would you create a meditation garden?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by pollyanna, Jan 19, 2008.

1. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I'm going to create a little meditation garden this spring and am planning it out now. I want to plant some lavender, mint and whatever attracts butterflies. We have hornets in France which are dangerous so I don't want to attract these. We have a lot of bamboo and I am considering making a meditation pyramid for this area. Has anyone got any ideas please?

2. Ras

Ras Member

If you have the chance for it, perhaps you should consider some running water? Of couse this is a personal prefernce but I have always loved the sound of running water! (which makes LF10 quite good ;) )

Afraid I dont know much about plants...

3. Larry Gessner

Larry Gessner Member

Great Idea

Pollyanna, I love this idea. I have looked into the pyramids. There is a website that a man created that explains the importance of building the pyramids to certain specifications. He set up his business so that you could just purchase the plans and then you could build it out of bamboo. He is very serious about what he does.

I hope that soon we will be able to post pictures here so that we all can see your beautiful garden when it is done. I am now reminded of a Japanese park in Spokane Wash that was so beautiful that I did not want to leave it. Now that I am in ND I miss the woods very much. I always felt at home in the woods with all of the vegetation. I am a firm believer in having plants and flowers around. So I am excited for you. I know this will provide many hours of raised consciousness.

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Thankyou Raz and Larry for your great suggestions. I've put them with my plans and will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, I'm very grateful for your ideas. Happiness and joy to you both :) :) :)

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have always enjoyed the so called "Zen gardens" very much, they are however quite a lot of work to maintain...

Basically you take a stretch of flat sand or gravel and blindly throw 3 or 5 or 7 rocks into it, depending on how much space you have. Better less than more.

Supposedly, the way they fall should represent the universe the way you experiance it.
    Also you can use existing or new bushes on the place where the stone landed, of course they have to be perfectly maintained and trimmed.

Next you grab a stick or rake and make circle like patterns around the stones as if they were stones thrown into water, creating circular waves, about 2 times bigger than the stone itself. You can also make 8 like patterns around 2 or more rocks/garden items close to each other.

Next you rake the rest of the garden in a straight way, but neatly around those circles.
    If you use sand, it will take more raking, if you use gravel you can leave it in the rain and it will look great for quite some time
    Of course, the stretch doesn't have to be square, you can also rake around the edges and do the filling in in a different direction.

If you like you can experiment with it here :

Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Fun thing to do.

In Zen, a Zen garden is used for meditation as something to concentrate on until you accept it fully as the representation of the whole universe. To do this of course you have to accept it on a higher plane than just normal human rationalism. One can also meditate on riddles that can't be solved, like " what does the sound of a clapping hand sound like " ( that's right, a hand, not hands ).

If you don't want to do that, it still is a great place to sit in front of and it will create a place of peace and tranquility in your garden.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

Have you considered a butterfly plant ?
    the latin name is Salvia nemorosa, and it is a butterfly magnet ! pretty flowers too btw, in many colours from white to purple.
    Lightly overdue fruit or the watery inside of tomatoes on a dish can really attrackt butterflies as well !

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Thanks Edwin

I've just had a little practise with the Zen garden on screen - I'll test it out later this evening. Interesting. The butterfly plant really interests me and will definately be a part of my garden. I love butterflies - there's something really special and beautiful about them. Thanks for taking the time - I really appreciate it. Happiness and joy to you. :) :) :)

8. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

Nice ideas!

Thats an impresive picture Edwin - Is one of these your garden??? It looks like its on a beach??

Cool thread, I'll be subscribing to this one. PW ;)

9. Larry Gessner

Larry Gessner Member

Nishinomiya Japanese garden

If you get the chance Google Nishinomiya Japanese Garden (images) and you will see why I didn't want to leave. I wish I was there right now... and it was summer:)

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Absolutely stunning!!!

Hi Larry and thank you, I can see why you wish you were there. It's absolutely stunning!!! Are you going again? I hope you are able to, happiness and joy :) :) :)

11. Larry Gessner

Larry Gessner Member

research

I spent the other day looking for images and layouts for a garden so we could give you some more ideas. there is a ton of information out there. There was even a firm in England that I thought would be close by but, You are the only one who knows what you will like and it's all about the research. I will research youtube today and see what's there. This is a good thing for me to do today because it is -15 out and I am not going out unless I have to today.
    So Have some fun with your research too.

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Heh I wish, no these are Zen gardens of Japanese Monistairies.
    Of course Monks have more time to make these gardens, but I am convinced it's possible to make your own relatively easy !

13. Karly

Karly Member

Hi Pollyanna,

Have you thought of building a small, uncomplicated labyrinth? Buddhists (and other cultures and religions) have used these historically for walking meditation.

Karly

14. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Decision made!!

Thanks everyone for all your time and effort. I now have a pretty clear picture of how I want to create my meditation garden. There will be some considerable costs involved so I am adding it to my list and looking forward to working on this project in the future. Once again, thanks so much and I will definately post photos after I have created it. Happiness and joy :) :) :)

15. Nelson11

Nelson11 Member

I made a very nice meditation garden outside behind my regular meditation room. It was exposed to the street initially but I closed it off with a block wall. There is a gate (locked most of the time) leading from the street, and a door from my garage for easy access. In it I have a fountain, a meditation bench and a small patio for practicing the EE's. Ths time of year the garden is blazing red with boginvillas (except this year owing to frost damage). I will try to take a few pictures and scan the site plan that I used.

16. olmate

olmate Member

Part of my daily routine at present (nearly summer here) is to sit by the water on some rocks... place one hand on the rocks as if to ask the earth to be a witness....

The gentle sensations of lapping water, bird life, gentle breezes, life giving energy from the Sun are like an orchestra to herald the emergence of the silence and stillness...

Some days I am treated to a little ballet by dolphins passing by...

Yesterday a sea turtle bobbed up briefly near me then went busily on his way...

Some days fish jump...

Everyday, absolutely everyday, I am thankful. A little jetty is nearyby. After my sitting time I walk to the end of the jetty and face each of the four points of the compass and give thanks.

Then I create my day...

A mediation garden, what a wonderful project.

Enjoy...

Olmate

17. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov Member

Hey Olmate!

Ever see any Russian fishing trawlers? LOL :)