1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How to use LifeFlow

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by vmadhuvarshi, Dec 23, 2007.

1. vmadhuvarshi

vmadhuvarshi Member

Hello,

While Discover-Meditation came with detailed instructions on how and when to listen to CDs, I could not fine such detailed instructions for LifeFlow 10. Please guide me on when this CD should be listened and what precautions need to be taken while listening.

Thanks..

2. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Guidlines

Did you read my report on LifeFlow yet?

About half way down you will see guidelines.

Do you have a specific question that you would like me to answer?

Michael :)

3. Abbey

Abbey Member

vmadhuvarshi - I hope you don't mind me coming into this thread a little as it's probably best to keep things tidy in one thread.

Michael,

I have a comment and a little bit of a question that I hope you may be able to shed light on for me.

I've not listened to CD's in the past with meditation, but I've downloaded "Life Flow" and although have simply been using it while I am working around things or on the computer, I did find something in the introduction of it interesting - you gave me a little education on binaural waves.

What struck me about it is this - I'm clinically deaf in one ear (I have roughly 15-20% in one ear, full hearing in the other. We 'think' I was simply born this way due to an infection while in the womb), though you would never know unless I told you. The only side effects I have from it are I can be a little clumsy lol, if in a noisy room I have trouble hearing (and read lips) or if you are behind me - I have no idea of what direction you are coming from. Like I said, unless I tell someone, they have no idea.

That said, you can imagine that it was very interesting for me to read about the binaural waves and especially the comment you made in your " Report on Life Flow":

This for me is very true as I tend to hear things other people don't and feel some sound as vibrations through the body as a result of the hearing.

I have a question on this though - due to binaural waves requiring both ears, I assume, and possibly wrongly so, that I may not be able to achieve the same benefits from those as someone who had full hearing in both ears would. Should I try the headphones regardless of this? Does it work on hearing or simply vibration?

4. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Clinically deaf

Hi Abbey, please be prepared for a somewhat long reply (though it is good news)

Referring to your question:-

“Due to binaural waves requiring both ears, I assume, and possibly wrongly so, that I may not be able to achieve the same benefits from those as someone who had full hearing in both ears would.”

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific about your condition? When you say in one ear you are clinically deaf do you know the exact levels of hearing acuity in that ear?

If your condition affects your hearing at high Hz frequencies and not low ones then stimulation via binaural waves will not be affected by your condition. LifeFlow 10 has 10Hz as it's target entrainment frequency. Certain elements of the soundscape that masks the entrainment waves may not sound as pristine to you as to others but the binaural entrainment waves themselves would get through just fine.

In answer to your statement “I tend to hear things other people don't and feel some sound as vibrations through the body as a result of the hearing.”

If your hearing problem is related to low Hz frequencies and/or if it pertains to decibel volume then very likely the binaurals will not produce much effect for you, so for entrainment purposes it would be better for you to listen over open speakers allowing the waves to interact with your whole body.

However, if a track is pleasing and relaxing for you to listen to independent of its entrainment effects, listening over headphones may still be a very pleasant experience; as much so as listening to any other quiet music or recording of nature sounds, and if that's the case then by all means enjoy the experience.

Monaural and isochronic tones share the big advantage in that they can both be listened to over open speakers, i.e., without the need of using headphones. This is a real bonus for people like yourself or others who don't want to be tied down by a pair of headphones with a cord. An extra benefit to using entrainment waves over open speakers is the fact that, as you have already experienced, we "listen" with our entire body, not just our ears.

Those of us with normal hearing may not be as aware of the effect that sound vibrations in the air have on our bodies as a whole, because we focus our attention almost exclusively on those vibrations as they are received through the normal auditory mechanism, but if we tune that out we will often find that we continue to experience the sense of "sound" through our body as a whole.

Taking this a step further, entrainment waves restricted to a set of headphones, such as isolated binaural waves, will impact only our ordinary auditory senses.

Monaural and isochronics, played out in the open air, however, have the capacity to impact and influence the entire body.

Monaural and isochronic waves produce more pronounced brainwave entrainment than binaural beats.

Of the two, the most current research suggests that isochronic waves have the greatest entrainment effect.

I recommend that you experiment and vary how you listen to the LifeFlow program – that is some times with stereo headphones and sometimes simply from open speakers.

LifeFlow tracks contain much more than binaural waves Abbey and I believe you can experience the benefits of entrainment in a way you cannot get by using any other commercial tracks of which I am aware.

A very close friend of my family has a condition similar to yours and after using various entrainment tracks over a number of years, and then using LifeFlow he stated “LifeFlow tracks vs. a track with only binaural waves is the equivalent of giving a blind person a book in Braille rather than a standard printed book.”

I would use the LifeFlow series the same as anyone. Both with and without headphones. That way you will find out which you prefer or you may realize that both ways are beneficial to you. It may be that binaural beats are still effective for you – however if they are not as beneficial, Isochronic and Monaural waves will still be extremely beneficial to you.

Look forward to hearing how you progress.

Michael :)

5. RichScheu

RichScheu Member

Do I have to hear the beats?

Michael,

Do the beats need to be heard in order to have an effect? :confused:

I have a problem hearing high frequencies and all I hear is the sound of water and music, no beats.

Thanks,
    Rich

6. twpernok

twpernok Member

I have a deaf right ear. I don't know what clinically deaf refers to exaxtly. I have no hearing whatsoever with my right ear due to a nerve problem- I don't know the name eccept id doesn't work. Does the above post mean that the is hope of benefiting from lifeflow for me.

7. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

"Clinically deaf" is a term professionals use for individuals with hearing loss of a certain degree. You do not have to be completely deaf to be considered "clinically deaf". There is a cetain percentage of loss that one must have to be considered "clinically deaf", however, I do not know what that percentage is. You'd have to ask a professional about that.

Gus

8. BudMan51

BudMan51 Member

Deaf also in Right ear

yes, I also am deaf in same ear due to surgery after military.. dead nerve.. Did you get benefits from this? did you get answer on whether it would work like normal person's hearing? Just curious for it's my hesitation .. I tried Centerpointe and they could not give me a satisfactory answer on this.

thanks and best regards,

BudMan51

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator