1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How to be imaginative while being in the now

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by olivetree, Apr 6, 2014.

1. olivetree

olivetree New Member

I'm so confused about this. How can a writer who creates false worlds in his mind and must stay in fantasy before writing it down be living in the now? He/she is living a great part of his/her day in fantasy not in the now. Or am I not seeing something here?

Another question I have is about looking towards the future. I know that ideally one should not look towards the future or the past, but I wonder if when one does find themselves drifting to the future, if it's better to imagine a future that isn't bad and isn't good either... but just a regular future where nothing special ever happens and you're just passing your days and surviving. Visualizing a future like this may save a person from being trapped in visualizing desirous things like becoming wealthy or terrible things like losing wealth. Instead you see your future as nothing to look forward to, and nothing to fear... Just a regular grow old and alone (but not lonely) life.

So these are two questions. If anyone has the answer to one or both please share. Thank you.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Being in the present moment (the "Now") doesn't mean that someone cannot use the mind or imagination as a tool for whatever their needs are. If their need is to write a fictional book (the need being that it will be providing their income so they can live), then it's a need to be met.

Sure, the fiction they're thinking about isn't real, and isn't in the present moment, and for some moments, they may have a need to 'lose themselves' in the characters to allow them to get that 'feel' of where their story is going, but if they're doing it with present awareness, then they will find what they need and come back to putting the words down in the story, and the fact they are in the present moment, with awareness, will allow them to get the story written without becoming distracted and 'lost'. There's a term that is used in the philosophy classes I attended, which is "put the awareness on the working surface", so the writer will keep themselves focused on where the writing is being produced and the story; the creativeness will naturally flow. This is the difference between a) becoming attached to the mind so much that we believe we are the mind, and the mind controls us and b) recognising the mind is a tool to be used, and being aware and using it when needed.

An small example, is my writing of this reply to yourself. I don't write something and return to edit it and change things, or have to think about what I'm writing, I'm just writing what comes naturally as an answer to your questions. (Though I'm not saying I am perfectly good at being completely aware, though I do aim to practice it as much as possible). Because I write my answers in this way, I aim to leave the 'thinking' mind out of it, and what get's put down in writing is the truth as I know it; the sharing of my knowledge. (though this is without any creative fiction ;) )

Well, strictly speaking the things of the past can be useful if they are logically repeatable things, and we do or don't want to repeat the same things, however we can rarely be sure that the outcome will be the same each time, other than obvious things (e.g. I learnt in the past that 2+2 = 4, so I'm sure that this knowledge remains in the present moment and is likely to in the future; however other things such as the way someone spoke to me in the past that created a certain emotion in me at that time, doesn't mean that if I meet that person again now (or imagine meeting them in the future) that the past will replay itself and the same situation will arise)

The ideas of the future are just thoughts in the present moment created from memories of the past. The past doesn't really exist any more, just the patterns of the memories we have of it, and the future we cannot know as the situation is unlikely to be as one expects, so whatever you think of the past and future, isn't real. Knowing that... is it better to imagine a future that is bad or good? All you are doing is distracting yourself from what needs your attention at this present moment. Imagining a bad future is only going to effect your emotions in the present moment, and whilst imagining a good future can likewise effect your emotions in the present moment, the most important thing is that you're missing out on the present moment, and it's the only real moment there is.

If we talk about the Law of Attraction, or positive affirmations, then this isn't about imagining a future. Such affirmations are done by stating a realistic scenario as if it exists in the present moment. By doing so, and by repeating this practice, the mind starts to configure itself to believe that this situation is real in the present moment, and will pick up on things in the surroundings that are needed to make it so. The reason for this is that our senses pick up on thousands of things all the time, but our mind is constantly filtering out many of these things so that we only have things that are needed to us at the present time (or in our present 'frame of mind'). This is why you can be in a room or office full of people talking, and be doing your own word, but if just one person mentions your name, you'll likely hear it and look up to see what they're saying... your mind it bringing it to your attention because your name is something you subconsciously want to listen out for, even if you're not consciously listening out for it. With positive affirmations, made as if they are in the present moment, makes the mind consider these things important in the present, and will bring your attention to anything related to them, thus "attracting" you to them (or as many people look at it, "attracting" those things to you). A common example, and one I've experienced myself, is when we went to buy a new car... we went to the garage and selected what car we wanted, looked at the colours available and chose one we liked, even saying "we like that colour, it's not one we've seen used on cars before". The car was then ordered, and when we picked it up, we came to drive home... and sure enough, saw several other cars of identical model and colour on the way... though we hadn't seen any before. This is because the car and it's colour were very much in our present mind awareness, so we were attracted to seeing the same, even though at the time we could have sworn we'd never seen any on the roads. It's amazing how much our mind filters out from us being conscious of.

You certainly do not have to consider your future to be something dreary or nothing to look forward to... in fact, if you're living in the Now, every moment is worth living.

Hugs

Giles

3. olmate

olmate Member

Being present for me is being present to what you are doing.

If I choose to write, I am present to writing and creating. It has my focus and attention - not to the exclusion of the world around me, but nevertheless it is what I am present to.

If I choose to plan and set goals, I am present to planning and setting goals.

If I wash dishes, I am present to washing dishes.

If I iron shirts - I am present to ironing shirts.

If I drive my car, I am present to driving - definitely not texting, grooming in the mirror, writing on order books - which so many around me seem intent on doing.

If I am reminiscing on my childhood, I am present to that memory of times past.

So, choose to be present to whatever you are doing. That is being in the moment. It is a panorama of focus and awareness together as each moment unfolds.

Olmate

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. SageWoman

SageWoman New Member

The writer generally lives in two universes simultaneously; the external one and the one that lives within. In each, time passes. There are births and deaths, stars colliding and reforming, and each is much more vast than our immediate awareness.

Sometimes it is time to be present in the external world, and sometimes it is time to be present in the internal one. Recording scenes and characters in simply a different form of mindfulness.

5. olmate

olmate Member

Sagewoman - I asked the multi-verse question of the silence some time ago.

The sense is they are many but also one. Multiple perspectives of awareness and consciousness. Beyond Love the levels of consciousness continue to expand - like the universe itself.

As best as I can sense - it is like walking the aisle of an aeroplane in flight. The expansion is akin to the flight at 900 kph - almost impossible to sense when not looking out of a window but it carries one along nevertheless. Yet walking the aisle, you can progress in a way the physical senses can interpret.

As our planet hurtles through space cocooned in its galaxy and clusters - it is akin to the aircraft example - carried along with the expansion yet able to perceived at some levels with the physical senses. Yet sitting and moving into the silence between particles, the awareness moves into pure consciousness.

At the level of observer - form emerges. Beyond observer, it 'looks' like unity.

But the journey continues...

Olmate