1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How long to listen to the track.

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by roantheron, Nov 3, 2013.

1. roantheron

roantheron Member

Hi there - I am new to the forum and have been using Lifeflow now for about 2 weeks.

Can someone please let me know what the most effective duration is to listen to Lifeflow?
    I've read that entrainment takes place after 8 min's, is this the minimum?
    Does it differ for different Lifeflow levels?

Thanks.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi roantheron and welcome to the community :)

Can I ask you a question so that I can answer your question more precisely. Are you listening to LifeFlow while using a meditation technique or relaxing?

When I began meditating with LifeFlow over 6 years ago I'd had problems with sleep for many years. Initially I would do 60 minutes with the C.D. or 40 minutes with the digital download and often fell asleep at first.

Some people suffering from anxiety may begin with 10 - 20 minutes so that they can deal with supressed emotions coming up in a gradual way.

Busy people may only have 10 minutes here and there and that's fine too. Once they begin to notice improvements in their daily lives, they can make a bit more time if they choose.

The most important thing is to be consistent each day because the benefits of meditation are cumulative.

Initially it does take approximately 8 minutes to entrain to the desired frequency, however it becomes much less over time. If it only takes me a few moments to enter into the quiet within, just 5 minute meditations make such a difference when life is extremely busy.

Here are a couple of links to the 8 minute rule and the principles of meditation and entrainment:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...ion-about-entrainment-experts-2.html#post4679

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

Hope this helps, look forward to your reply and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. roantheron

roantheron Member

Hi pollyanna;

Thank you for your kind and prompt reply.

I am using a meditation technique whilst listening to lifeflow. Currently on the short version of the download on Lifeflow 10, and listening for 12 minutes. I've initially started on 10 and is increasing the duration on a weekly basis with 2 minutes, working up to 20 minutes in total. I do however found that I losing 'track' of my my matra after about 8-10 minutes, but gathered that this is natural. As soon as I realise this I normally get back to focusing on my mantra.

Thank you for the links.

Looking forward to hear from you again.

With thanks.
    Roan

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Roan,

was searching through the archives of the community and thought you may find this link really interesting:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...6-what-s-definition-quiet-mind.html#post14470

The following piece is just one of a number of great replies:-

“Paul, a quick point of clarification. You wrote, "I've read a few posts which mention that you should ideally only use your mantra during meditation when you have a busy mind..."

That's misstated. You don't use a mantra "during" meditation. You use it to get into a state of meditation, and upon entering that state you abandon the mantra or any other technique you may have used to get you there.

Continuing to repeat a mantra after reaching the threshold of a meditative state only insures you will not go fully into meditation or even remain at that threshold point. While your mantra is going you're not in meditation. That's a common misconception that usually occurs when someone mistakes a meditation technique as being meditation itself. A mantra is an element of mind, and mind is largely absent during meditation, hence, no mantra.

Thoughts come and go. They're part of Mind. You are not your mind. It's only a tool available for use by your awareness. Watching thoughts drift through the mind is also not meditation, but is just another technique to enter meditation. As you watch objectively you eventually find yourself slipping into that quiet state at which point you don't continue to look for thoughts to observe. That would be as unproductive as continuing to repeat a mantra. You let observation of thought go, and you slip comfortably into the quiet.

Thoughts do slow down and given sufficient practice and time they eventually fade more or less completely. This may be for a few seconds or, for someone with more time and practice under their belt, for many minutes. Your awareness remains and is in fact heightened, but the proverbial "little voice" in our heads goes silent. There are none of the internal dialogs in the background chattering away.

Does that sort of answer what you were asking?"

It never ceases to amaze me when I occasionally search through the archives and read the outstanding replies from some invaluable members. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

5. Zinnia757

Zinnia757 Member

You should listen at least 15 minutes a day. I started 3 days ago and have listened and meditated 40 minutes a day. It has been very relaxing. I see that you posted this question in 2011. I can't believe nobody has responded before this. I hope you are still listening and meditating. Let us know how it's going.

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Zinnia and welcome to the community :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying LifeFlow. You'll find lots of great information here and trust me, you will be answered any questions you post here. I can see why you think Roan had to wait 2 years for a reply. Please know that Roan was answered on the same day he posted a question.

He joined the community in 2011 and posted the question on 4th November 2013.

Look forward to hearing how you progress Zinnia and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

7. roantheron

roantheron Member

Hi pollyanna & Zinnia757;

Thank you for insightful information - much appreciated.

Roan