1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How do YOU let go?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

While meditating with LF, i learned step by step to let go of things. I reached a state, where i even can let go of things, that wouldve made me crazy earlier.

I just open myself up to whatever feeling is there, and let it flow. Regarding the thoughts, i can take a step behind and dont take them as serious, because i know they arent.

However, these days im confronted with possible physical damage. It seems like i chosed this somehow unconsciously as the ultimate test of how to let go :)
    Anyway, i can let go of the feelings created by my mind, who circles around the same thoughts the whole day (attack, defend, find excuses). And i can partly let go of the thoughts, but they keep coming back like bulldozers. I think thats quite natural, because my mind believes theres real danger. But its driving me crazy on the other hand, and i can just live with it if im there the whole time and let it flow... but that means to neglect other things.

So how do you let go?

Thanks
    Pan

2. Midnight

Midnight Member

"Suppress nothing, yield to overcome."

A friend of mine says that whenever he explains the concept of letting go to people. It really rings true.

Before, I would let the thoughts and emotions flow, but there was a tiny part of me that would resist it, for fear it would get inside and stay. But I'm starting to realize that I resist this, and I stopped. I truly let things flow, but sometimes I still resist a little bit. It's improving.

But letting it happen in your head is a really profound concept to most people because they think it's like giving up or something. The opposite is true, you're not putting energy into it, and thus it does not grow.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm with Midnight :)

4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks Midnight, wise words :)

Its just not working for me atm... time will tell.

5. Midnight

Midnight Member

If it's not "working", it may be because you're trying to rid yourself of it. Trying to make it go away means that you haven't accepted it, and therefore are resisting it. Accept that it is there and happening, be aware of it for what it is and nothing else. It shall pass.

Don't worry though, it gets easier as you keep on meditating, so if you find that you have to stop everything to try to accept it now (which I'm not sure could be the best idea anyways, because to me that implies that you're really trying to make it go away) it'll get easier to just observe as you grow.

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

It seems i made it somehow, to move my focus somewhere else. Its hard, but i got it working. The weird thing is, it feels like im supressing something - so quite the opposite to your last post.

I think im atm too attached to just observe it. Im now focusing on the opposite if a thought comes up (means im focusing on letting go and relaxing).

7. Midnight

Midnight Member

What do you mean by it feels like your suppressing something? Like when you try to let go it feels like you're suppressing your thoughts instead?

8. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Pan,
    A good friend of mine always encourages me to "move towards" that which i instinctively resist. Maybe that is similar to what you have described as letting flow.

I have tried to move towards those issues that I resist - especially those really tough issues. By this I mean just sitting with them, feeling them, walking around them and looking from many different perspectives and just being with them. After some time (in some cases weeks) I try to visualise the issue floating down a stream away from me.

Sometimes I am fine to let it float away. Other times I dive in the stream and chase after it. But I persist.

Olmate

9. EoL2012

EoL2012 Member

I often use short but sweet quotes or sayings to help remind myself through my daily experience.

The quote I use for this situation is from Carl Jung.

"What you resist persists"

Good luck friend :p

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi again,

Im fairly new at letting things flow hehe. I trained myself to block for so long, that it took me a while to get rid of that condition.

I have to clear up whats my problem is, so maybe you understand it better. Im getting threatened by someone. Theres no doubt, its something inside me, that attracts this situation, nevertheless my mind tells me theres danger and it tells me this the whole day, and i have to be 100% careful to not get totaly cramped inside. So yesterday i managed to force my focus away from that, and that felt like im supressing something, moving it away from me. Though i try to feel whats there and dont block it. The chance that this thread gets real isnt that big, in the end.

So moving towards the feelings inside, is what i do. But moving towards the thoughts seems to make it worse. Supressing these thoughts and forcing the focus away, doesnt feel good neither.

Maybe i just have to let it happen, until my mind recognizes everythings ok. I managed to change conditionings of my mind, but this one seems very stubborn, though the danger isnt that big as my mind paints it.

Thanks for your hints guys,
    Pan

11. Midnight

Midnight Member

Yes, forcing your thoughts away is suppression.

Really, relaxing and just letting thoughts pass regardless of what they are is how you "handle" it.

I had the same issue a while ago, where I would try to force my thoughts away in order to gain a clearer mind. It felt like my brain was going to explode. It felt like there were a million thoughts going on in my head and then at the same time my head also felt empty. It was strange.

Let it happen. Your mind might resist this too because as a problem becomes bigger, it thinks that the solution has to be complicated. In reality, keeping it as simple as possible is the best way to go.

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks midnight, ill try that. I have no choice anyway.

Yup it feels like, my head is under pressure... hopefully it wont explode :)

13. olmate

olmate Member

Reading Midnight's response reminded me of anther context - power versus force. The context is about the energy around what you think and feel. Forcing is an energy consumer and therefore weakens. Power in contrast strengthens and is an energy giver. The science underpinning this is kinesology.

I know this is theoretical, but Midnight's excellent advice within this context is one which calls for energy giving rather than an energy consuming response. So maybe the question to contemplate is "what is it that is weakening me?". This may help provide greater clarity to move forward.

I hope clarity dawns for you. Nothing but the best.

Olmate

14. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yes of course. There was never another option, then to just let it be as it is.

Sometimes it hits you so hard, that you´re looking for ways to not let it happen. Why do i always need to be reminded? Maybe its Alzheimer... anyway, thanks for reminding me :)

15. EoL2012

EoL2012 Member

Too much thought involved with this issue.

Meditation is the practice of non-thought.

Are you driving this vessel or just observing.

If your issue is the "1000 monkeys chatter"

try chanting or breathing exercises.

The point is to trick "you" into not paying attention

Like ya do when ya breathe or pump blood through your body.

(for me it was with hearing protection to create complete silence and breathing exercises but everyone has different kinds of monkeys.)

Good luck~

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

Thanks, i need it :D

17. Panthau

Panthau Member

Seriously, do you guys ever forget what you´ve already learned and what worked for you?

Sometimes i feel like a 90 year old grandpa, forgetting the last words i spoke. Ok that may be a bit over the top, but im really always forgetting what already worked for me and dive into unconscious behavior patterns. Though i gotta admit, it does get better overall. But then im asking questions like this, and feel a bit silly afterwards.

18. Midnight

Midnight Member

To be honest, I feel this way too, or maybe it's another emotional upheavel or something,

But I'll have a breakthrough and really feel it. After a short time, I stop feeling it though. Why is this?

19. olmate

olmate Member

Yes me too. Maybe that is why it is called "practice".

Olmate

20. Panthau

Panthau Member

:) :)

At least im not alone with that *gg*