1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How did you get into meditation ?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by manx, Dec 30, 2007.

1. manx

manx Member

this i think would be a subject which would generate much intrest ,

2. Imemyself

Imemyself Member

How did I get into meditation

Through a friend and by reading about it

3. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

Actually, I got into meditation inadvertently while investigating binaural brainwave patterns. I knew about it before and had even tried it once (I guess you could say I ACTUALLY got into the same way as Imemyself), but somewhat forgot about it because I was ignorant to its potential benefits. This was rekindled when I became interested in neurological patterns. I investigated the use of binaural technology by putting it to trial on myself, starting with the famed Centrepointe Research Holosync technology. My own experience was somewhat unrewarding as I didn't notice too much of a change in disposition (not slamming it, it just didn't work for me). I then stopped using binaural technology, but did continue to practice varying forms of meditation, all pretty much freestyle (I recalled the general forms from my first encounter with meditation and continued to use those with the traditional "Om Mani Padme Hum" mantra). After a while, I discontinued the practice of meditation altogether. I signed up for Michael's newsletter sometime ago, after I once again began to investigate the benefits of meditation. I began to practice it again, usually without the Lifeflow technology. I was somewhat skeptical of the technology due to my past experiences with holosync (I know, how unfair! :p). I decided to give it a chance with Lifeflow 10, and to my amazement, actually experienced somewhat of a calmness and tranquility of mind afterward.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

About 14 years ago I read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill and it blew my mind because I think I was just ready for that book at that point in my life. Meditation was mentioned in there I believe. 14 years ago I sat in a room watching a flickering candle while my husband sat in our bedroom doing the same. (Different candles and different rooms so we could concentrate and not make each other laugh) I was truly ignorant to meditation in those days. Anyway I fell asleep sitting up and was awakened by my husbands snoring - he'd fallen asleep too! Maybe we tried too hard. It's a funny memory though. Happiness and joy to you.

5. Larry Gessner

Larry Gessner Member

By some form of divine intervention

I found meditation after searching for 53 years for an answer to life.
    recently I had lost my business, my home and was ready to just give up. I won't bore anyone with the details but through a series of websites, I started investigating 2012 and that led me to the Mayan Calendar, which introduced me to the evolution of consciousness, which led me to look at the Vedics and meditation as a way of raising my consciousness. So now I am meditating three times a day and I am at peace. Now I can focus on raising others.
    To me this is very important. I feel that I understand this on a level that few do and we can have a dramatic impact on the world if we could realize the benefits that we will be shown as we progress.

6. Julielz

Julielz Member

Hi Manx..

Nice thread.

For me, the real question is when did I "get into" meditation vs. when I "got what meditation is."

I had been interested in meditation from yoga classes in my early twenties. I read all the how-to books, practiced in my tiny NYC studio apartment amidst a million sounds. Nothing seemed to "happen." I didn't get it.

In my late twenties I went through a personal crises and was in a very dark place. I knew I needed a spiritual practice for myself and so I committed to waking every morning and doing the only thing I really knew how to do...sitting in prayer and contemplation. At the time, I was very rebellious against my Christian roots, so I did not want to pray in a conventional way. I chose a daily prayer of gratitude.

One morning after my prayer, I remained still and took a deep breath in the space created through gratitude and that's when meditation happened. As soon as I stopped to listen, to be aware in the present moment, it expanded ten-fold. My body tingled with a rich and vibrant energy and waves of peace and joy washed over me.

That was the most pivotal point in my life thus far. I love meditation! I have been reborn through meditation.

I now teach meditation. When folks are newbies, I am always quick to remind them that there is already a part of them that knows the way... listen and it will speak to you.

Peace and Blessings!
    Julie

7. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

I think my very first meditation was at age fourteen when I was studying spiritual healing. The meditation was meant to relax my body while I tempered my body to use its energy (and surrounding energy) for healing.

After that I practiced many meditations of the same purpose. They were similar to chakra meditations, indeed I did meditate slightly upon opening my chakras.

I also did this during attunements to Reiki healing, before beginning to use meditation as a means of bringing my self closer to enlightenment.

8. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Great stories above. An important thought came to me after flowing ( an ahahh ) I'd like to share with you. I knew I needed to meditate and trusted that it would work. Many didn't and then I found Discover meditation and then ultimately Lifeflow. Discover meditation taught me that I had probably been trying too hard and was finally doing it right and the gratitude exercise on there was amazing for me after meditating. LifeFlow to me is the ultimate and again I just trusted this. When I read the reports "How Project Meditation Can Help You" I really became excited because I finally understood how powerful LifeFlow meditation really is and how it could help create LONGEVITY as well as iner peace and joy. Happiness,joy and longevity to you all :) :) :)

9. taylordayton

taylordayton Member

I started a little over a year ago after one of my friends suggested it to ease my temperment. I first started with Zen, and later studied and practiced the Hindu Kundalini, which is what I do the most of now (which centers on chakras). I have had some pretty amazing experiences while meditation, nothing too far-fetched, but amazing nonetheless.

Now I'm also using Lifeflow, and enjoying this too. Even though I've been meditating on my own for this long, I still took the time to go through the introductory CDs too. It is the first time I've done a specifically 'timed' meditation and I found that to be enjoyable, even though my normal meditations finished on their own in about 20-30 minutes.