The Project Meditation Community Forum is temporarily in a Read-Only state due to maintenance and upgrades that are being applied. Although registration and the creation of new posts are currently not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

We will notify you as soon as our maintenance work is completed,

Have a great day,

Yours for HUGE success
    The Project Meditation Team

How develop mindfulness when you are immersed with the day to day activities that req

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Volcom23, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Volcom23

Volcom23 Member

I'm just amazed about the idea of mindfulness and meditation. I've been practicing meditation for a quite a time now. But I want to know what really mindfulness is-- how to practice it in your day to day activities. Like for example when you are listening to a class discussion this requires a lot effort to keep your focus on the teacher's words. And in my case I am the type of person that is easily distracted by a lot of thoughts most especially when I'm around with people.

I want just to ask about mindfulness and how to practice it. Explanation about it could be helpful. Thanks!
  2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Try to think of your body/mind as a seperate entity for a while.

Whatever movement occurs in your body, or in your mind, try to observe it in the same way you would observe your thoughts come up and disappear during meditation.
    Whatever happens, even getting mad or getting annoyed, or feeling sad, everything is just happening and you can observe this happening inside your body/mind.

Don't take it personal, think of it as if you are watching a movie of yourself. Your body, with all it's thoughts and emotions is the lead actor in a play, and you are watching it happen.
  3. Midnight

Midnight Member

When you are around with people or trying to listen to a lecture, there is no need to try and stay mindful, only to focus on the activity at hand. At least that's how I see it. That is how you use your mind as a tool.

When you are alone, relaxing, or doing anything actually, that is the time to remain present and be mindful. Truly accept everything as it is. From there you can let go of thoughts, and anything else.

Though at first, your mind may try to hold on to resistance and such because that's what it does best. It will think of reasons to hold on to problems and continue to resist. As you progress, you will realize that the mind is doing these things.
  4. olmate

olmate Member

Maybe something like a continuous open enquiry - being present to notice whatever is in focus. When the focus is on receiving information - like a lecture, keeping your mind open and clear to focus on the message. When you are just being - noticing... Noticing the breeze, your feelings, the conversation in your head, nearby conversations, etc. The other context which may help is doing this with a happy mindset. It might sound corny, but it is like jogging with a smile on your face. The energy seems stronger.

Nothing but the best...

5. EFT Tapping

EFT Tapping New Member

Volcom, seems like what you're referring to wanting to develop is focus or concentration while listening to a lecture.

Mindfulness, depends on what you intend to be mindful of. If your goal is to be mindful to the speaker's words and the meaning behind them, that's one thing.

On the other hand, you may wish to be mindful of your physical sensations during the lecture. Not too useful if you want to learn and remember what the speaker says.

Or you may choose to be mindful of the sights and sounds in the room, your inner talk, inner images that come up for you, as well as your emotions and the physical sensation of touch. If you're mindful of all that, it would be pretty difficult to also put strong focus on the lecture.

That's my two cents.
  6. Volcom23

Volcom23 Member

thanks to the infos guys! appreciate it.