1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

How can you focus meditation?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by butterfly angel, Dec 24, 2007.

1. butterfly angel

butterfly angel Member

hi there!
    i'm looking for some advice, i want to know if it is possible to meditate 'on' something, like a specific issue or question?
    what it is, really, i have come out of the back of a really rough relationship, and i figure i'm over it, but i still can't get over the hurt and the jelousy, my partner of 8 years was cheating on me for a while with someone he had known (but never introduced ME to) for a long time.
    I have a new man in my life now, and he's perfect, but i cant supress these awful feelings of......... well, its not jelousy but i am convinced he's gonna cheat, and i have convinced myself on more than one occasion that he is. When he isn't.
    a friend of mine suggested counselling, but i would far rather sort this out myself. I know what the root cause of the problem is, and i just need to convince myself to relax, and to believe David when he says that he is not gonna cheat on me!!!!!!
    so, can it be done? i'm worried that when your in a meditative state, your brain is very susceptable to things, and i dont want to start doing anything until i know its safe to do so!!!
    can it be done?

2. Phun20

Phun20 Member

Hmmm, well, in a meditative state, keep in mind that you aren't thinking of anything, for it is the process of clearing your mind, and actually this process allows more of your brain to deal with such issues that you might be having, such as tendencies to distrust based off of past experiences, perhaps you could do a bit of meditation without lifeflow, and then afterwards concentrate on what your feeling to see if you can sort it out after having your mind cleared of everything else. Well, I hope you can get it all figured out, especially considering the financial difficulties of professional help.

3. Abbey

Abbey Member

Hi Butterfly,

The simple answer is yes, it can be done. Would I recommend it if you are early on in this process of learning? Or are highly emotionally stressed? Unfortunately not.

The result can be quite unexpected and if you are feeling over emotional of very stressed out - as it does seem you are - and obviously with good reason (it doesn't sound like you've had an easy go of things :( ) but it's not really so much a question of safe as a question of that perhaps the results would be "fear based" subconsciously rather then anything that would be of real help to you.

Trust once broken, even not by the person you are with now, is a difficult thing to regain inside yourself.

In my humble opinion, for now anyway, I wouldn't try to focus on one thing in particular - simply meditate and allow it to work it's magic in it's own way and time.

4. Julielz

Julielz Member

Hi Butterfly...

Throwing my two cents in here... meditation means many different thing to many different people. There are many meditation techniques where you "meditate" on an object, or mantra. This is referred to as concentration. There are also meditation techniques where you watch your thoughts. Some refer to this as contemplative meditation, others would refer to this aspect as non-attachment, or becoming the Observer/Watcher, etc... There are also techniques where you clear the mind completely (or try to). These are all techniques, and all worthy of pursuing when one feels called in their direction.

I forget whether it was Edison, or Ben Franklin, but one of those guys when contemplating a challenge with an invention would sit in a chair and hold two balls in his hands, turning them over and over (very meditative like), thinking on his invention. Eventually he would doze off, the balls would drop to the floor, and their noise would wake him. Upon waking, he would have the solution! Interesting, right?

The advice I would give you now is that you know best what will work at this time for your highest good, and the highest good of those you love. Trust that. You are right now, in this moment, finding your way. Hold this thought in your heart. Have faith in yourself and your ability to heal, to recover, to love and trust.

I would encourage you to follow the still voice that speaks to you in your quiet moments. Not the voice that is fearful and wounded, but the softer, peaceful voice. Some call this intuition, or your higher wisdom self. We all have access to this voice, at all times. Some days it is harder to hear over the powerful booming voice of life and human fears and concerns. No worries, though, it is there.

Do what brings you joy. Walk in nature, take a bubble bath, sit by the ocean. Do what brings you peace and joy and in these moments, listen for that voice. It will be there when you are in your space of allowing.

Pursue what you feel guided to pursue, whether that's a particular form of meditation, counseling, or something else entirely.

Meditation is a state of allowing, of listening, of being in the present moment. Have no fear of this. It is quite healing. Visualize yourself surrounded by white light and utter an affirmation that you are safe, guided and protected to enter this state. Draw to you only that which is light and love. Know that only good can come to you in this state, and it will be so. I've included some affirmations for you if you would like to give it a try...

I now surround myself by love and light. I am safe and protected at all times. I draw to me healing energy and the deep abiding knowledge that all is well.

I wish you well and I send you light and love. I began my meditation journey because of a relationship. I know how healing it can be. I also know that you know best what will bring you through this. Trust yourself, trust yourself : )

Peace and Many Blessings,
    julie

5. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

Hi Butterfly, I hope you will allow me to throw a couple of casual advice here.

Meditation is, as I understand from some sources, to tie your mind to something so it becomes free from daily worries, which are all small and meaningless to hold on to from spriritual viewpoint. And I have a feeling that that's exactly what you want to do - to let it go. I think what you want to do is forgive and let it go so you are free to have a whole great opening.

My yoga teacher recommends the following methods when you have worries or something that troubles you:
    1. stop worrying.
    2. before you go to bed, talk to your heart and say, "this ploblem is all solved now. thank you." thanking in advance as if it was solved already.
    3. spend days relaxed and noticing. The answer might appear in a phrase of a book you are browsing, the conversation you overhear, or as inspiration.

My yoga teacher has asked for things (i.e., kind of job he wants) during meditation and they were answered and manifested in his life, so meditation may be a good communication tool/occasion to your higher self, or universe, or whatever it is that already knows the answer.

With best wishes,

Atsushi

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

"I have a new man in my life now, and he's perfect, but i cant supress these awful feelings of......... well, its not jelousy but i am convinced he's gonna cheat, and i have convinced myself on more than one occasion that he is. When he isn't."
    First of all a really happy new year to you. Your chatterbox sounds like mine used to. I believe if you write down something like:-
    "I am so happy and grateful now that I have this wonderful relationship. I am so grateful my partner is trustworthy and loving. etc. etc." Read this to yourself as often as you can. Always first thing every morning and last thing at night and feel happy and full of love when you do this. Over ride your current chatterbox with a healthier one. Read Michaels How Project Meditation can help you, in particular "map of reality" and "resistance" - I'm sure these will help you to understand where your thoughts are coming from. Then LifeFlow meditation can only help you. Write it down immediately though. Let me know how you progress. Joy and happiness to you and yours :) :) :)