1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hi. I need some help.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by gusb, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rodrigo1000

rodrigo1000 New Member

Hello everybody!

So I've noticed that most of you say that we shouldn't meditate too much, because it's not good. That doesn't have much sense to me, because most of Yogis and Buddha teachers meditate all day long. I thought the more we meditate, the more we understand things...

please help me clear this, because im going to a meditation retreat very soon, where Im planning to meditate all day during 2 weeks.

Thanks a lot!

2. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

I question the validity of that statement. From my understanding, meditation can help you develop the mental muscle to control your thoughts, but I never knew meditation alone makes unwanted thoughts go away.

3. Midnight

Midnight Member

Sometimes, less is more. :D

Enlightenment is not a conditioned state that is based off of the amount of time you meditate. Enlightenment arises from realization. This realization can occur from meditation over a long period of time (i.e. consistent sessions over a while).

Having long meditation sessions is not recommended initially because of the suppressed emotions that meditation can bring up in a person. Releasing an emotion simply means you are given another chance to let yourself feel an emotion your previously didn't want to and let it leave your mind and body.

However, releasing too much, too fast, ESPECIALLY in the beginning is not a very positive experience at all. Nor will it help you get anywhere faster if you take your mind 100% serious.

Meditation will uncover the enlightenment that is already in you, but you are not aware of yet. The benefits of meditation are cumulative. Sure, you might be able to benefit from a really long session, but I personally have never meditated over an hour.

Realizations will occur on their own as you gradually clean up your mind/body through meditation. There is no need to force anything, because it will come on its own regardless. :)

4. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Are you going to take a vipassana course Rodrigo? I ask because you mentioned 2 weeks. If it's a structured course, done in a group with knowledgeable teachers I wouldn't worry although the intensity of the course may bring up suppressed emotions and issues. If you have a chance to combine it with yoga or some form of exercise, that can be very helpful.

Doing it on your own without help would be a different story and isn't recommended.

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Fully agree with MeditationMan here.

The mind just produces thoughts, and is unable to judge what thought is beneficial for you and what thought is unwanted.
    Thoughts just come up, and only when they do can we consciously decide if it is useful or not.
    So how can mind know how to block out unwanted thoughts ?