1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hi from north England

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Rambling-Rae, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Rambling-Rae

Rambling-Rae Member

Hi everyone, lovely to be here, it seems like a really nice forum. I'm Rachel, 30 and have been meditating on and off for about 10 years. Long term health problems got me introduced to meditation in the first place.
    I've just had a few months lapse, as i was juggling moving house and finishing off a uni course with my health problems and pain. Everytime i sat to meditate i would end up on the floor collapsed with exhaustion, bed was no good either as i just couldnt stay awake to meditate as my body needed to fully rest.
    Finished doing up my house, completed my uni exam and busy recovering now so i'll be picking up meditation again as of today :)
    Lovely to meet everyone :) I've been on buddhist meditation forums in the past, hoping to meet people like yourselves, but unfortunately they seemed too preoccupied with petty squabbling and trying to proove that theyre intellectually superior to everyone else and belittling other people on the forum. It was sad to see :(

Gonna have a mooch around the forum now. Take care everyone :)
    Love
    Rach x

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Rachel !

I am very sure you won't be disappointed in our forum, I know there are some pretty amazing people here that are always willing to talk to you !
    I am pretty sure that nobody here is convinced "their" method is best, because we have a lot of different streams of meditations mixed up here, and everybody seems to get along great :) In the end, it doesn't matter how, as long as you meditate !

With some luck, we can teach each other something, compared to you I am just a beginner, I have only meditated for about a year !

Please also use your knowledge to help out others ! There are a lot of beginners on this forum, we need all the help we can get !

Hope to meet you in the forum :)

3. Hirinaki

Hirinaki Member

Welcome!

Hi Rach,

and welcome! It is a really nice forum indeed! There are very good vibes and the posts are very interesting and supportive. What I read cheer me up everyday.

Take care,

Hirinaki :) x

4. Rambling-Rae

Rambling-Rae Member

Thanks for the replies :) I temporarily lost this forum for a few days oops!!!
    Thats a difficult one about sharing knowledge etc. because even though I've been meditating on and off for ten years. My knowledge is not much different to when I first began to be honest.
    For me, the only thing time brings is a better ability to be able to make yourself stop, and sit on a regular basis. When first beginning, this was my biggest stumbling block and since having a small break, it might happen again this time when getting back into it.
    I haven't done mantra meditation for a long long time. This forum has brought me back to it after listening to the CD's.
    After trying out various methods of meditation, and meditating on the Dhamma Pada for a while, I kinda fell back onto nothing. Meditating on emptiness, but I think it helps to try the different methods when first starting out as it gives you something to focus on to still the mind and get you into a routine and make it part of your daily lifestyle, but as time went on, i was more and more inclined to just sit with an empty mind (or near empty) as the thoughts dispersed more quickly and easily over time.
    For me personally, experience doesn't make me more knowledgeable on the subject than a beginner. I used to think I would develop wise insights etc as time went on to share with others but alas, its my inner calm that has developed, and insights about myself from within; that cant really be shared with anyone else as meditation brings you back to the essence of 'you' with everything else stripped away and that journey is personal to each person I think and unfolds differently with each person.
    I see people telling others the right and wrong ways to meditate, but whats wrong for one person is right for another.

The biggest problem I have come across over the years is when ive been meditating daily for a year or two, i begin to feel a deep sense of isolation. I am often housebound because of my health, so i often live in complete solitary confinement, my space often only shared with the physical agony and forums like this are fantastic because it reminds you of others who are 'sitting' just like yourself.

I would highly recommend that beginners go to a local meditation group if they have one. It doesnt have to be regular but it is nice to meditate alongside others sometimes. It does make a big difference and keeps your interest peaked if you find yourself struggling.

Podcasts can be nice too if you don't feel like doing a silent meditation. There are lots of good ones out there, I tend to listen to the Australian Meditation Society. There are different classes with a new topic to ponder and work on with a guided meditation on the topic of that particular class. Luckily there are lots of podcasts out there as you need to find a voice that relaxes you rather than grates on you.

I'm looking forward to looking through the forum, there might be a method I haven't come across before that I can learn from. Its lovely to read of other people's experiences of meditation.

Lots of love,
    Rachel xxxx

5. vgallagher

vgallagher Member

Hi from another Northener...

Hi everyone, just wanted to thank Rachel for the tip on the podcasts, I'll be including them in my practise.

Haven't started the meditation properly yet, but just happened to listen to Michael's CD1 last night and it really encouraged me to actually get going, so I'm going to.

I look forward to sharing my experiences with you.

Vix xx

6. Rambling-Rae

Rambling-Rae Member

Best of luck Vix! and enjoy :) i'm off to do mine now :) xxx

7. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

"After trying out various methods of meditation, and meditating on the Dhamma Pada for a while, I kinda fell back onto nothing. Meditating on emptiness, but I think it helps to try the different methods when first starting out as it gives you something to focus on to still the mind and get you into a routine and make it part of your daily lifestyle, but as time went on, i was more and more inclined to just sit with an empty mind (or near empty) as the thoughts dispersed more quickly and easily over time.

I see people telling others the right and wrong ways to meditate, but whats wrong for one person is right for another."

Hi Rachel
    Glad to have you aboard! I agree with you that there are so many ways to meditate and we can't know what's best for another. I've used various methods myself over the years.

You said that you've been meditating on emptiness. I'm learning how to use Self Inquiry which is essentially a path to discover the empty nature of our deepest self. I met Mooji ( satsang with mooji ) and am planning to take a one week silent retreat with him next week. I'm curious what form your meditation on emptiness takes as it's really new to me and I have lots to learn though I'm finding that what little I've done brings me into silence more than any other method.

You also said

"The biggest problem I have come across over the years is when ive been meditating daily for a year or two, i begin to feel a deep sense of isolation. I am often housebound because of my health, so i often live in complete solitary confinement, my space often only shared with the physical agony and forums like this are fantastic because it reminds you of others who are 'sitting' just like yourself."

I find that one powerful way to connect with others is through "Metta Practice" (just google that for info.) You basically start with generating love, compassion and healing for yourself and then gradually start sending it out into wider and wider circles til you include the entire universe and all living beings. It's a real heart opener. On October 26 we're doing a world peace meditation through this forum which is essentially a form of that :):):) and I hope you'll feel like joining in.

At any rate, you'll have many new friends here in this forum - we're really all brothers and sisters on the path - so welcome sister! ;)

All the very best, and may much healing come to you
    Bhavya

8. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

welcome Vix & Rae,
    This a wonderful place with lots of support.

gus

9. amy_snuggle

amy_snuggle Member

I'm a Newby too!!

Rach,

Just wanted to say that I am a newby to this completely and find it difficult to get my head around making time everyday for this like you.

But then, I figure if I want it to work for me then I have to put the effort in. Which works on a good day but when I come in knackered from work that positive attitude isnt so prominent!! :p

Here's to giving it our best!

Amy

10. Rambling-Rae

Rambling-Rae Member

Best of luck with it :) you might find that you can do a couple of days in a row and then something happens and you dont get round to it on the third day or fourth etc. and this one small gap can put you back weeks :( and then you start all over again trying to get some form of routine going.
    I think disiplining yourself to make time daily is the most difficult part of meditation for most people and this stops people from continuing and often drop the whole thing, but its better to meditate even sporadically than not at all. You might even find yourself berating yourself if you miss a day but this then turns meditation into a chore that needs 'ticking' off the list of things to do each day instead of thinking of it as special time just for you that you deserve.

I'll get back to explaining the methods I use when meditating on emptiness as soon as I can figure out a way to explain the way I view it lol! and even then i doubt it will make sense when reading it hehe :)

lots of love
    rach xxx

11. Rambling-Rae

Rambling-Rae Member

Spooky!!

Oh my..... I was doing an Internet search today about meditating and amongst the findings was a forum post... I read it and thought... She sounds familiar... Only to discover that it's my own post I was reading from 5 years ago! I haven't taken part in this group in 5 years, and then randomly stumble upon my intro post to this group! Eerie!
    Love,
    Rachel x

12. GilesC

GilesC Member

LOL Rachel, it's odd how things swing about in circles...

Good to see you. :)

Hugs

Giles