1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

1. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

Greetings
    I've never joined a forum of any type before. For some reason this is meaningful enough that I'm willing to take the plunge

About me:
    I use to meditate frequently - every day - multiple times a day
    Eventually I stopped cause I did not have the guidance I needed.

It is late so I won't post my experiences yet but I am interested to see what people have to say about them and how it compares to what my guide told me.

My greatest confusion/questions seem to circle around understanding auras. perhaps we will leave it at that and go deeper on my future threads if anyone is willing.

Look forward to talking with you all

Dave

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Dave and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

Your first forum eh... you'll be fine... we don't bite. :)

Sounds like you've got some interesting questions to pose to us. So what is it about auras that you want to ask? (and how do you relate auras to your meditation practice?)

Hugs

Giles

3. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

To begin ill start with my method for initiating meditation then the experience I had that conflicts with what I was lead to believe.

I have a few methods. Two I use frequently all have the same result. The visualizing method I have is to imagine a glowing ball that warms up the area and relaxes it and draws stresses away. The ball begins at my toes then feet then legs etc till its moved over every part of my body.

The other method is to simply focus on relaxing each body part in turn. With the understanding that stress is with us all the time. So much so we aren't even aware of it - so I have to relax it again further and more completely than the initial relax.

By the time I'm done my mind is stilled from the routine.

Now the experience. I'm lying in a bed before sleep and my friend is lying on the ground next to me. I meditate so often and I do it before sleep that while we are talking I'm going through the motions. This is the first time I attempted it while talking.

During the conversation I became aware of a volume/bubble around me. I began describing it to my friend while exploring it. It of its own volition began to spread to the side and down to encapsulate my friend. It then continued to grow and the closest wall to me was at my head and it proceeded to flow through the wall. I did not get any further with the experience.

My guestimate was the bubble was my aura and I was aware/could feel the volume the bubble contained. Here comes the tricky bit. While talking to my guide he explained that if you aura is flowing out of you you can not feel it. I got the impression it was flowing out of me AND I could feel it. So I'm confused :)

So the questions I suppose are:
    Can you feel your aura if its flowing out of you?
    Was that my aura? If not what was it?
    Any interesting thoughts on the experience? (I find just about everything interesting)

Cheers,

Dave

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Dave,

Well, that's certainly interesting, and clearly you are a very 'visual' person.

That is perhaps difficult to answer as it depends on how you perceive what an aura is. In the way I understand it, the aura is the energy of my self that is both within and outside of my physical body, and I wouldn't even comprehend the aura flowing out of me, as it is me. On the other hand, there are the concept of chakra's, closely associated with the aura, and these are said to flow in, out and around your physical body though the major and minor chakra points (typically people tend to focus only on the 7 major chakras), so you could certainly feel the energy of a chakra flowing in and out of you.

Only you will know if it was your aura... trust your immediate instinct (before the mind takes over and starts to corrupt it).

On a similar vein, I've experienced similar myself during visualisation meditations, where I felt myself expanding and expanding, to the point that my awarness expanded out into the universe and I became the universe. It's not something I could generally choose to experience at will, as often when we try to experience something our mind puts us on the side of wanting to look at it from 'outside'; to 'explore' it, but then we stop ourselves from actually 'being' it. Letting go of that desire to experience; the attachments to need to explore something and look at it from outside, is what allows us to actually become the experience and just know it. Trying to explain it in words only limits it, as words cannot fully explain the fullness of knowledge; the fullness of being awareness, and trying to experience it in a way such that our mind can put it into words will limit our experience and prevent it from fully happening.

So, you've certainly got good practice at visualisations (and I know these can be very effective for dealing with stresses and other issues). Have you had a go at using the visualisation technique to get yourself relaxed, and then actually letting the visualisation go, to just BE? That is perhaps your next step?

As for 'guides' this is a matter of belief. I don't believe in guides from the point of view of them being something 'other' that we communicate with, as I understand that 'other' is duality, and limits us to experiencing 'us' and 'them', rather than just experienceing our Self as the whole. What I would say is that, in my experience, a 'guide' is something that is a way of putting, what our intuition tells us, into words so that our mind can comprehend it. The intuition comes from awareness, but when we want to explain our intuition we need some model, created within the mind, to put words to it. Some will say that the words come from guides, some from animal spirits, some from God (or gods) etc. and this all comes down to how the persons mind has been shaped to believe.

So, back to your question, if I were to make a guess, I would say that you experienced your true Self expanding towards awareness; letting go of attachments that limit yourself to believing you are just where your physical body is. Often the mind gets in the way, wanting to put into words and understand what it is that we are becoming, as it is unfamiliar territory to the mind, but then the mind puts a limit around the limitless awareness and draws us back to itself.

Hope that helps

Hugs

Giles

5. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

I knew I should have clarified guide. It's a human being I talked to who directed me and tried to help me. I reached out once and he responded and we chatted for a couple of years while I experimented.

Hehe and I agree with the "not something I generally choose to experience at will". Besides tricks to get into a meditative state, just about all my experiences in a meditative state occur and I just witness them. I have never chosen for something to happen and it does, besides lucid dreaming(trick for me is to meditate to sleep lying on my side). I sometimes can shape them and even to good result but most of the time I get excited something interesting is happening which breaks the effect :)

The one I had the most fun experimenting and controlling without losing state was an OBE. But that I will leave for another post.

Thank you for the advice Giles. It took me a while to digest what you said this the delay in thanks/reply

6. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

Oh I should clarify my goals:

The peace of mind, stillness, clarity and happiness which comes with meditation are just bonuses.

I meditate to experience these latent abilities (or psychedelic trips for the cynics :p ). OBEs, astral space, auras, chakras, tantra, shamanism, Indian Han state, etc. My hopes are that someday I can experience them at will. Which I appear to be far from. If I can get to that point of experiencing any at will, I will try to use pavlov's dogs to enter them in faster and faster state(most likely incense stick burning) with the hopes of reaching them almost without entering a meditative state. A very long term goal it would seem.

7. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

Still can't figure out how to quote. "Letting the visualisations go, to just BE? That is perhaps your next step?"

When in a meditative state I mostly just let myself be. Only sometimes do I try to force things since rarely anything comes of forcing. I usually find my best results occur when I surrender my will so much I flitter to near sleep and I get drawn back to consciousness. In other words, being a witness then trying to control. Nearly falling asleep only occurs when I'm very tired. Mostly when I get into a meditative state there is now way I can sleep, I feel energized, alert, present.

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

If you click the Quote button next to the persons post you want to quote it will automatically copy the text within quote tags into your reply. You can also manually add quote tags yourself:

Use: [ quote ] to start a quote (square brackets with the word "quote" in it, without the spaces)
    Use: [ /quote ] to end a quote (square brackets with the word "\quote" in it, without the spaces)

Do you mean that you let go of the visualisation? If so, that's great.

Thanks for clarifying what type of guide you meant... you meant the teacher type of guide, not the spiritual type. ;)

As for your goals... have a go at dropping them... at least for now. If you have goals in mind, these only serve to distract you from meditation. When you are happy you are able to easily meditate, then perhaps come back to see if one of these goals can be experienced... but just one at a time.

Hugs

Giles

9. DedicatedNowRusty

DedicatedNowRusty Member

Thanks Giles! I do believe you are right. Experiences are less likely when I try to have them