1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hey there! :)

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Nimai, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Nimai

Nimai Member

Hello there! :) My name is Nick, though I also go by my spiritual name Nimai. I'll give you guys the quick story of how I got here (A quick summary of my 16 years)... Well, I pretty much lived your basic life until last Summer. I went to school, played video games, and hung out with friends. That was until last Summer came and my parents introduced me to two of there friends who had a Bhagavad Gita class at there house. I'd always been interested in religion up until that point but had never practiced much myself. Though now after meeting them in my life it has been completely flipped upside down. I'm now an aspiring devotee of Krishna doing my best to change my life around for the better... I had no purpose or passion before introducing spirituality to my life and now I feel truly alive. Now, it's been around a year since I've met my two friends who introduced to life and I believe I'm off to a pretty good start. I found out my passion and dharma as a healer. This now leads me to how I found LifeFlow. My parents had both purchased LifeFlow and use it but not really that often. So, on my own personal quest to enlightenment and peace I've decided to take up where they left off. Tonight will be my first time using LifeFlow.

Anyways, I don't want to scare you all off with a huge block of text so I'll stop there! Haha, sorry I didn't realize how much I'd typed. :p :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Ni Nick (or do you prefer to be referred to as Nimai?)

Welcome to the community.

I've also had some teachings in the Vedic philosophy (Advaita), with reference to the Upanisads and the Bhagavad Gita (as well as others), though not really in a religious sense, so I'm not a devotee of Krishna or any other. The philosophy as I understand it is more around the concept of living in the present moment and recognising Oneness (non-duality or however you want to refer to it), so I think it's open to people of any religious or non-religious beliefs. There are other members here too who have had teachings, or are self-taught in the same concepts and philosophy.

Great to hear that it has made you feel alive, and I'm sure you'll find great benefit from meditating with Lifeflow.

Look forward to seeing you around on the forums.

Hugs

Giles

3. Nimai

Nimai Member

Either is fine, whatever you can remember. :)

Thanks, for the welcome. :) I still have plenty to learn for myself about Krishna, and well... Life. :) Haha, this is why I hope to find a guru soon here in Canada, or when I go to India in a year or two. Also, Krishna Consciousness is very much about oneness as well, it just adds on that there is nothing in existence outside of Krishna since everything is the energy of Krishna. I'd explain more but I don't feel I'm educated enough myself to explain and don't want to provide false information. :) Anyways, if you are interested I'd recommend reading the Bhagavad Gita: As It Is. (This is the Bhagavad Gita as it was spoken by Krishna passed through the disciplic succession with no alterations). Anyways, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching here. :p And I'm sure I'll benefit greatly from LifeFlow. :) I used it for the first time last night and it was an amazing experience. I actually experienced intense full body vibrations similar to my experiences with lucid dreaming when I was younger (I sadly lost this ability as I got older).

~Thanks, Nick

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Nick,

We all have plenty to learn, that's why we come to forums like this to discuss with each other. ;)

I have some books on Krishna consciousness (I have a lot of books hehe!), but have only as yet dipped into them. The way you describe everything being the energy of Krishna would suggest that Krishna is a representation of the True Self, the Oneness that we all are, and the belief that Krishna is the author of the Bhagavad Gita is, in my eyes anyway, synonymous to those who say that the Bible is the words of God. As I see it, the words of these literature are written from those who experience great Self awareness, speaking from truth, and in this sense, when the God or Krishna or Buddha or whoever is seen as the all encompassing truth, then yes, the words are those of that deity.

I do have a copy of the Bhagavad Gita: As it is, as well as a Westernised interpretation of it; along with a similar couple of copies of the principle Upanisads. Again, these are not something that can be easily read from cover to cover, but are good references for me.

p.s. you're not preaching, you're discussing. we like discussion here. :)

Hugs

Giles

5. Nimai

Nimai Member

Giles, you make a valid point though the reason why I have complete faith in Krishna is because Krishna Consciousness is about rebuilding your relationship with Krishna so you may return back to the Spiritual Sky. Though, in the Bhagavad Gita it talks about two ways back to GodHead. There is the impersonalist way and the way that Krishna teaches. The way of developing your relationship that you had with him before you fell into Maya (material energy) and became stuck in samsara (endless birth and rebirth). So yes, I believe in this oneness that you talk about though I believe that Krishna IS the oneness and because we are part of him/a manifestation of his, by his grace he allows us to experience his omni potency. It is said that actually the last test/illusion before reaching the Spiritual Sky is that Krishna lets you experience his full omni potency and the only way to pass is just through humility and realizing that no we are not God Krishna is just very merciful and loving and lets us experience it all through him.
    At least, that is all that I have understood from it so far. :) I hope I've explained myself well. :p I often have trouble translating my thoughts into words. x)

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Nick,

Yes, getting thoughts into words can be difficult, especially when it's the written word and we can't put the emotion behind it to emphasise how we are saying it. As such, believe me when I say that I'm not saying you shouldn't follow Krishna as you want, I'm just interested in discussing the philosophy that underlies our similar understanding of the Self.

I understand what you are saying when you talk about our attachment to materialism and being stuck in samsara (I've had teachings in buddhism too :) ), however when I read your words they read as though you are conceptually understanding Krishna to be a seperate entity to yourself, but something you are connected to (especially when you say that "we are not God"). However, my understanding (and it is from similar teachings to your own) is that this concept of us "not being" something is a dualistic idea... an idea that we cannot be "that" because we are "this", yet in Advaita (which roughly translates as "not two", meaning non-duality) there is no "that/this" or "them/us" because all is One. The teachings and stories given are, from my understanding, intended to illustrate the concept of non-duality to us, but are in themselves something that we should not become attached to in a literal sense. That is why I can't, with my present understanding, comprehend a need to see God, Krishna, Buddha or whatever as some seperate entity to be worshipped as if they are some higher power that bestowes us some privileges or experiences etc. My understanding is that Krisha Conciousness is about recognising that all is one conciousness, whatever label it has.

Hugs

Giles

7. Nimai

Nimai Member

Sorry about the long reply Giles, I've been swamped with school work lately and have had very little time to myself.

Well Giles, I do believe that we are all one and this concept of "non-duality", though where do you believe we all came from? Why do you believe we are stuck here in samsara? My belief is that yes we are all part of the one (a manifestation)... But, it is Krishna that IS the one, if that makes any sense? We are all a part of the one which makes us connected yes. But Krishna is all of existence. The reason why Krishna does this is because he is in fact much like you and I, he wishes for a family, lover, and friends. This is why the path of devotion (Bhakti) and love is the quickest way back to Godhead. The reason why I actually found Krishna Consciousness is because this is what I always felt religion was about. Your own relationship with God. :)

Anyways, it's time for my meditation again with LifeFlow! Sorry again it took so long to get back to you. :)

~Peace, love, happiness. :)
    Nimai

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's ok, there's no rush, we have all the time we need. :rolleyes:

Came from.... why did we have to come from anywhere. Surely it is a limit of the mind to believe there was a beginning point. It's just as valid to consider that we (the universe, everything etc.) have always been.

Are we stuck in samsara, or again, is this just the mind making us believe we are. When we recognise the mind/ego for what it is, we can let go of these attachments and the minds concept of samsara that holds us in the 'cycle'.

I do understand what you are saying, but I put this to you to think about...

Why do we need to find "the quickest way back" when we are already within the One existence (or as you put it, a manifestation of Krishna who is all of existence)?

Hugs

Giles