1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

help. i don't know if I am doing it right - meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by beibitoi, Sep 30, 2013.

1. beibitoi

beibitoi New Member

Just a few weeks ago, I started meditating. Though I am not really sure if I am doing it right (with the internet as my only source of information), I can say meditation has helped me feel good most of the time. I want to take this seriously and I want to do it right. It is unfortunate that in our country, it's hard to find one who can teach meditation.

When I started meditating, I tried the practice of simply imagining a particular object few feet away from me and at about 20 degree angle above my eye. My concern with this technique however is, am I not stressing my brain by making it focus on one specific object? My point is, I am virtually forcing my brain to just focus on one specific thing rather than let it loose and let it think whatever it chooses to think.

With that, I again started researching and meditated with the use of mantra by repeating words in my mind. my concern now with this technique is that while I try to focus on the sound of my mantra, I tend to visualize different things for the reason that with this method, I am not tasked to visualize a specific thing. During the short gap between my mantra, too many things come in the way. for example while saying om, I tend to visualize my dog, my classmates, professors, exams, etc. Is this part of the process? If not, how can I resolve this? Should I instead deliberately think of a specific object while saying my mantra?

other than the way of meditating, how is the first method I described different from the second one?

To add, I started meditating to make myself feel good while preparing for bar examinations. From what I read, meditation also helps me sharpen my mind. I am expecting though that even after the bar exams, I'll make it a habit to meditate everyday. But for now, what would be the proper type of meditation for me?

I tried researching everywhere and I don't seem to find answers in the internet. So here I am asking for help. thanks in advance for the help.

beibitoi

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi beibitoi and welcome to the community :)

Here's some great news for you. You can download "Discover Meditation" from the top left of the community. It's easy, Free and many people here benefit from it.

Here's a post regarding passing exams:-

I passed my exam with 100!
    LF is just outstanding! I received the CDs on friday and decided to give it a shot. I have tried all sorts of brain enhancement technologies( from brainsync to iMusic) , but this is by far the best. So, on monday, all my classmates were stressed out about this super very important exam that afternoon so be4 I went to school I just listened to LF 10 and it worked wonders : all my fears and my anxiety were gone, replaced by a sense of wellbeing and fulfillment. I also listened to optimal learning right be4 the exam,and i felt very confident and focused. I totally aced it! I am so happy that I stumbled upon this amazing technology!

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...es/2716-i-passed-my-exam-100-a.html#post13830

And here's what a Doctor recently posted with the link to check it out:-

Our Lifeflow experience :)
    The resulting restful sleep and relaxation remain unmatched to anything
    else that we've tried.

As a Clinical/Consulting Psychologist in private practice and agency
    consultation for over 40 years, I've been a lifetime supporter of
    meditation and have been grateful for the availability modern sound
    technology. I now present clients with alternatives, but
    most strongly recommend your product.

Jeffrey J. Elenewski, PhD
    Clinical/Consulting Psychologist
    Colorado Springs, Colorado

http://www.project-meditation.org/c.../21038-our-lifeflow-experience.html#post48852

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)