1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Help, I am frustrated!

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Danielle24, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Danielle24

Danielle24 New Member

I started meditating consistently about two days ago after reading, "The Power of your Subconscious Mind" by Joseph Murphy, I started to understand the power and importance of meditation and I thought it would be a great way to get in touch with my inner being. First I tried pushing the thoughts out and only focusing on my breathing, that didn't work, so I searched for another way and I found a way that was better, observing my breath and not following behind my thoughts as they enter. I meditated a when I woke up this morning and I was breathing in & out not following behind the thoughts and it feel fine, but I began to get frustrated because I wasn't feeling the inner peace feeling or the outer body experience that everyone else gets. I really want to get in touch with my inner guidance system and I find this to be very challenging, so I figured I reach out for some support. May I have some feedback?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

You sound like you're going about it the right way, by not getting attached to, and following your thoughts when they arise, just accepting they are there and let them pass.

As you found, if you try and push the thoughts out, you are actually focusing on the thoughts to do that, so you just attach to them and they will not go.

Your frustration sounds like you are having some preconceived expectations about what meditation should be like especially when you say "the outer body experience that everyone else gets". If someone says they can meditate well and 'experience' all sorts of wonderful things and feel out of their body etc. then the chances are they are not meditating properly. The state one enters when meditating properly is not something that can easily be put into words, and it's not something that many people can attain readily and maintain for the full duration of the meditation practice (there's always distractions around us and in the mind). The point is that you just need to let go of any preconceived expectations about what meditation should feel like, keep practicing, and you will get times when you're just aware that you're in the meditative state. Then the trick is to stop letting the mind going "wow! I'm in the state, let's look at it" because the moment that happens (and it will!) you become attached to the thoughts and literally dragged out of the state (and yes the mind will find it disappointing, but let that go too!)

You've only been meditating for a couple of days; some people have been practicing, and are still learning, after years. The key is to stick with it, because meditation isn't really about what is experienced during the meditation practice, it's about finding yourself in a greater state of awareness which remains with you after you've practiced, and that itself helps you become more present and aware of what's going on in the moment during your day to day activities. ;)

Hugs

Giles

4. madera

madera Guest

Instant peace, you need to have patience. I am not familiar with the auther you mentioned.
    My book was written by roy masters, it has changed my life and IAm so thankful Ifound it
    good luck
    madera

5. madera

madera Guest

the meditation I am doing is similiar to yours as you are describing here. And you are correct, it can take years. So much to overcome.
    I agree with what you have written.
    madera

6. Jweeks5

Jweeks5 Member

Is this on auto cut and paste. Seems like folks are looking for something a little more personal than 'go read this'. I know I was.

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Jweeks5 and welcome to the community :)

there is a wealth of information that has accumulated over the 7 plus years that I have been here. In the early days, I replied to most questions personally and as time went on I often pointed people to threads that were written far more eloquently than I could explain.

Many of the books I read are marked with stickers so that I can refer back to various specific points that I have noted and I find this most helpful. Fortunately, because I have studied and learned much from this community, I can often remember where to find what I believe to be great advice that may not otherwise be found by the person.

I do understand that I won't be able to please everyone, all of the time, still, there are and have been many others who have gone to great effort to create a wealth of knowledge here. For many years I spent much time and money attempting to meditate until I succeeded with the free meditation course given here along with the aid of LifeFlow.

The link I suggested has all the answers if you take the time to read it - it puts a whole book into a nutshell :)

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)