1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by kbc02021, Apr 6, 2011.

1. kbc02021

kbc02021 Member

Hmm. Stuff here.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi KC and welcome to the community,

How about this...
    (it may not be the way you want to do it though ;) )

1) Go to google maps
    2) Click on "get directions"
    3) Enter Japan for the start location
    4) Enter America for the destination location and click the "Get Directions" button.
    5) The route takes you via Hawaii, though step 29 could be the tricky part. ;)

Ok, first things first let go of the concept of "intensively meditating". Meditation is not a hardship or a task, it's something you choose to do and you will make the time for it that you need. Great benefit can be had from meditating for just 15-20 minutes, twice a day, and most people can easily make that time for themselves if they want.

Seems odd that the vipassana courses won't accept you, as they should recognise that meditation can have great benefit to people who have experienced depression, providing the correct support is also available.

Have you downloaded Michael's free "Discover Meditation" course? That's all you really need to help you get started with a good solid method of meditation (it's essentially Transcendental Meditation, but without the ritual ceremony stuff).

I'm sure you're not really doing anything wrong with your meditation, just that your mind is giving you a sense of lack of guidance. As for what you expect meditation to be like, take a read of the following excellent thread by Ta-Tsu-Wa:

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

No need to apologise. The community isn't just about giving help, but about receiving it too. If you need to just receive, that's fine, there are plenty here willing to give, no strings attached. :)

Likewise, looking forward to seeing you around on the boards.

Hugs

Giles

3. M L K

M L K Member

Hi, kbc,

And welcome. In addition to what Giles has said, consider that any question you take the time to ask is very likely a question someone else needs answered as well. Thanks for participating. Margaret

4. kbc02021

kbc02021 Member

Hmm. More stuff here.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. kbc02021

kbc02021 Member

Margaret,

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

-KC

6. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi kbc

Welcome to the forum.

I assume you have the information on Vipassana courses as taught by S N Goenka, so you know how intensive the course is. Meditating from 4.30 in the morning until 9pm at night in silence for nine days.

The course is taught by using recordings of S N Goenka's instructions. There are no individual instructions. The assistant teachers are appointed to use these recordings and answer any questions you may have. The courses are usually very large and have only two teachers or sometimes only one - in the USA and Europe anyway.

The assistant teachers will offer any support they can to those who have difficulties during the course, and many students do, but they are not trained counsellors, psychologists or psychiatrists. If you attended and ran into difficulties they could not help you with, they could only ask you to leave and consult a qualified practitioner. They would ensure your safety on the journey returning home, but then you would be on your own.

People on the courses with no history of depression or other illnesses of the mind do have difficulty on these courses and sometimes it is with them after the course is finished. Some of the more serious cases had not declared the true state of their health before they were admitted.

No one can predict what will happen during such intensive retreats. Most students from the courses say it was the hardest thing they had ever done in their lives. It also has to be said that only a small proportion of students return to do another course or continue meditating regularly.

If you want to meditate on a retreat, I would recommend you look for a small set up where you would get individualised instruction and mentoring. I realise I know very little about you, and, of course you are free to make your own decisions about how intensively you want to meditate but I would advise caution and trying shorter retreats which are not so intensive before committing to a longer one.

Hope this somewhat helpful to you
    peace and joy:)

7. GilesC

GilesC Member

I write from no authority, I simply write from what truthfully comes to mind at the time I write. Apologies if this caused you any distress, I assure you it was not intended that way.

What I picked up on was that your minds focus was on some 'need' to intensively meditate. My point was simply that you may benefit from letting this 'need' go and just meditate as and when synchronicity deems it right to do so, and for as long as is suitable. That may be that on one day you find you feel good meditating for a couple of hours, whilst other days you find you feel better just meditating for 10 minutes a couple of times. Placing rules of 'need' around the practice, causes limitations and is generally not the best way to practice anything in life, meditation included.

I hope that clarifies.

Hugs

Giles

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Please don't take my remark as critisism, it isn't meant that way.
    Even tho I can understand your reaction, please keep in mind that if you ask people for their opinion, it is likely you will receive a few opinions that might be different than your own.

If the opinion doesn't suit you, you are of course free to not respond or let it go. There is no need to act defensively, you asked for an opinion, you got it, no harm done. I am quite sure that Giles wrote his answer in what he believes to be your best interest.

The reason why most meditators in this forum are a bit apprehensive about intensive meditation practices, is that we have all dealt with something called "overwhelm" on one or more occasions. Meditation is very powerful, and can cause a serious upheaval of memories and emotions that might be a bit too much to take in all at once. Since our own experiences with this phenomenan are not too pleasant, it is logical that we want to warn meditators who start meditation seriously not to overdo it.

But as Giles and Hazel said, it is ultimately your choice to take, and if you feel you have to do this, by all means :)