1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

1. TimSchutte

TimSchutte Member

Hi All,

My name is Tim Schutte, and I downloaded the Discover Meditation program several days ago. I enjoy it very much.

I have studied martial arts for more than 40 years, and the training has included some meditation practices, but nothing really special. Most of the spiritual training inherent in Asian martial arts has been forgotten in the USA. Some conservative Christian sects strongly object to any sort of meditation practice, while some of the men who introduced martial arts to the West simply didn't believe in it.

I began suffering from depression and panic attacks some years ago, after the death of my mother. I tried using what practices I had learned over the years to relieve my problems, but nothing worked. I finally contacted a psychiatrist who prescribed medication, and who also suggested trying meditation. I dug through Google for months without finding anything that tweaked my interest, when recently this website popped up. I downloaded the program, and give it a try.

Well, I have never really been interested in 'New Age-y' type stuff, but while reviewing the recordings, I decided that the Discover Meditation method goes well with my previous training.

I am looking forward to continuing my practice

Thanks!

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Tim,

Pleased to meet you.
    Yes, the meditation course also appealed to me. I have been studying Jiu-Jitsu for 5 years now, and at first I was more attracted to Zen, but the meditation course on this site is amazingly easy and straight to the core.

I want to react to what you said about conservative Christians. This is not directed towards you in any way, since you allready said meditation appeals to you.

The objectations that some Christians might have towards meditation is more or less directed towards the TM movement ( Transcendental Meditation ) which is not completely clear from eastern philosophy's.
    What Christians sometimes seem to forget ( and this is what amazes me ) is that all humans, Christians or Hindu or Buddhist alike, are created in the Grace of God. Sure, we can set the conditions in order to get a child, but it is just that, we are given a child by the grace of God. Even artificial insemenation, or petry dish children are created by the grace of God. We can only set conditions for the Divine Spark of Life. Even when science will get so far as to make it possible to "build" a cell that will grow into a human being, we are merely copying the Divine.

All men are alike across the entire world, 10 fingers, 10 toes, one head, one heart.
    All men and women across the world have created religions based on that feeling that there has to be more than meets the eye. We want to meet the Divine I was talking about before.
    Most religions are based on the few prophets that did understand how the world relates to God. Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed... Each with their own teaching, their own system to achieve the same insight.

In the Christian world, prayer was developed as a system to come into that place where God becomes obviously present.
    Over time, this prayer system ( which shows remarkable similarity's to chanting in it's original form ) has slowly evolved into a shopping list in the western world ( Dear God, please solve the problem I am facing, thank you ! ).

But Prayer with rosary beads, repeating for hours and hours is actually no different from other forms of meditation.
    Since there seem to be more and more people interested in meditation, even Christians ( OMG you mean that they actually are also normal human beings ? :p ) nowadays a system has been formed called "centering prayer".
    If there is a Christian here reading about meditation but feeling somewhat guilty for looking at it, maybe this is for you.

If you aren't troubled by this feeling, the "Project-Meditation" course is perfect !!!

It has been stripped from ALL religious forms, and simply is a system that helps you to achieve that meditative state that Ta-Tsu-Wa talks about ( check out this brilliant post if you are interested: http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html ).
    The only thing that could be considered "eastern" is the Mantra.
    See this link: formal to find out about different mantra's for different belief systems.

But even an Atheist can choose a mantra. It could be anything random for all I care, like "toaster oven" or "horse shoe" or "Aglet"... ( it's the small plastic tip at the end of your laces ).

:)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

I had to chuckle at this.

There are a lot of people who see meditation as "new age-y", but in truth it's a practice that has been around longer than the bible. Nothing new about it. ;)

In terms of some Christian schools of thought believing that meditation is wrong, then perhaps consider what prayer is... a stilling of the mind and focus on a single point of intention. This in itself is a form of meditation.

I would personally stay away from any school of belief that tells me something is wrong, yet clearly has no evidence to show that they understand it themselves.

Hugs

Giles

4. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Well, since the thread is hijacked anyway, let me tell you that it was God who taught me to meditate when I was a teen Christian. It seemed unreasonable to me to just call up God, rattle off a wishlist and hang up. So after explaining my problems, I waited for God to have his say. God did not say anything out loud (your experience with God may vary) but in that stillness, waiting for God with no expectations as to what he would do, making no plans and not thinking about the past, something began to know. This state of mind itself was actually meditation in a pure form. (Although I did not know that name or any name for it.) There was no need for God to say anything. Simply being in that presence, waiting silently, I could feel myself being recharged and slowly, slowly changed.

I may not be the most typical Christian, for better and for worse. But I don't think you can eradicate meditation from the Earth as long as there are people who pray to God.

5. pita2389

pita2389 Member

Hello all,

Monks have been meditating for many many years. There is a mantra that has been used by monks that means "come Lord".

It is: Maranatha

It can be broken down by syllables. ma-ra-na-tha

repeat each syllable while exhaling and inhaling

ma - inhale
    ra - exhale
    na - inhale
    tha - exhale

I struggled with embracing something that some would say could be against God...but then realized that monks meditate and it is what is in each one's heart. As a previous post said...a mantra can be as significant or insignificant.

6. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Peta,

I have been using this mantra for years. I also understand it to mean "come Lord, come". I love the visualisation it brings in stillness, quiet and deep, deep listening and observing.

I personally have found it gets that noisy bass drum beating, trombone playing guy standing in front of the movie screen to be quiet - well mostly.

Olmate

7. TimSchutte

TimSchutte Member

Hi Giles,
    Exactly!

8. Laceyatpeace

Laceyatpeace Member

Thanks

I am new to this too...guess you can check my new post. But anyway, I just want to say thanks for the posts here. I love the Maranatha as a mantra. I have been using "fearfully and wonderfully made" but was thinking that was probably too long. Actually was hoping to find something that would be right and I did! Thanks

9. pita2389

pita2389 Member

Hello Laceyatpeace

I am so glad that you found a mantra that suits you. Maranatha seems to work perfectly for me and it's exactly what I was looking for in a mantra.

You can use it and say a mantra however it suits you best, but I do find that breaking it into syllables with each inhale and exhale is the most relaxing for me.

Enjoy!
    pita