1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

1. chenrezlsg

chenrezlsg Member

hey everyone,
    my name is Lin, i live in Seattle w/ my cat, milo and the daily challanges of having multiple sclerosis for 27 years. meditation helps ALOT! i'm glad i found this site and have been welcomed to your special community. take care. see ya!
    yours in kindness.:)

2. 1mikec

1mikec New Member

How to?

I can relax and get into my chant - THEN - Everything comes rushing in!!
    Work-daily BS all kinds of stuff....
    How do I tell my brain to shut up??
    What am I doing wrong???????

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Lin, pleased to meet you.
    You have been a bit... enthousiastic in writing your welcome message everywhere, I hope you won't mind me saying hi just here ;)

Welcome to the forum ! :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi 1mikec :)

You are doing nothing wrong actually. Thought can't be stopped.

If we were the ones controlling thought, why on earth would we want to have unpleasant thoughts anyway ? ;) I wouldn't want to, that's for sure !

So, that is the first thing to realise.

You don't control thought, and you can't stop thought.
    In fact, meditation is not about stopping or surpressing thought. And besides, how could you. You can't predict when a thought is going to come up, so you can only stop it after it has appeared.

Have you taken the free meditation course from this site yet ?
    As you might remember from it, Michael Mackenzie speaks about "thoughts passing by like clouds".
    And that's the action to take. Observe thoughts as they come up. Usually they are linked to a feeling as well. Observe that feeling as well.
    The feelings and thoughts can be pleasant, they can be unpleasant.

This happens no matter what. You can't stop that. No matter what you try, you will see the thought appearing, and feel the feeling attached to that.
    Here is what you need to practice:

You can watch the thoughts and feelings come up, experience them and then let them go again, without reacting to them !

Just notice the thoughts and emotions as they come up, and notice how they disappear again. Every thought is like that cloud, moving across the sky. All you have to do is notice it.

if for some reason this doesn't work right away, don't beat yourself up about it. I am meditating for more than 2 years now and still learning. You don't have to be an expert right away.
    Every time you notice that you have been taken over by thought, that you are reacting to thought instead of watching it, gently return to your mantra and try again. It is pointless to become mad that you failed to observe the thoughts without reacting, rather be glad that you noticed it, and use the mantra to try again.:cool:

Good luck and let me know if it works this way for you.:)

5. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

It is actually possible to stop thoughts from entering into your normal consciousness, at least for a while. Some people have a natural talent for this. Occasionally we see posts here from people who are able to stop their thoughts even though they are practically beginners. Strangely, we don't hear from them again. I guess it is not all that cool if nobody is cheering.

But actually, you don't NEED to stop your thoughts. Just return to your anchor - the chant, in your case - whenever you notice that you have been carried away by your thoughts. Don't be surprised, don't be upset, don't be disappointed. This is perfectly normal the first 20 years or so. Thoughts are pretty tenacious! :)

I'm kind of serious despite the smiley. I can certainly stop my thoughts for a while, and I can do so in a heartbeat or two usually. I don't see that making me a better person, really. I haven't achieved any great contribution to mankind (much less Divinity) that way, to the best of my knowledge. It's more like a kind of brainplay, I guess. If you recently started, you should give it a few years before you bother about it. By then you probably have other priorities, like helping other people reach the same happiness you have found.

6. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Can thoughts stop?

While it is true that you cannot "will" thought to stop, since the act of "willing" something is in itself an act of the mind, when you enter a state of meditation there will be periods of natural quiet when thought is absent, or nearly absent.

Deepak Chopra suggests that the typical person has something like 60,000 or more thoughts per day. I don't know exactly how he measured to arrive at that number, but that's what he says. And of those 60,000+ thoughts, 90-some-odd% of them are the same few thoughts we repeat over and over and over again, all day long, much like an old record with a skip that just keeps repeating the same few seconds of sound without pause. By analogy, it's like spending 90%+ of your time driving your car just spinning your wheels, wearing out the tires and going nowhere, and only 10% or less actually engaged in travel. That would be expensive and a waste of time.

In meditation, those repetitious thoughts tend to be the first that are eliminated, which saves a great deal of energy. That means that while you may still think the same things, you will experience less repetition, potentially relieving you of up to 90% of your amount of daily thinking. All by itself that's a terrific benefit.

What I've personally noted in addition to this, is that while my thoughts may not stop entirely, I become aware of longer and longer spaces between thoughts. In our typical state of consiousness our thoughts are like linked chains with little or no perceivable space between them. During meditation the pace of thinking slows down greatly so that pauses manifest themselves. Even though thought may be taking place, it is thought at a relaxed pace; not so frantic and out of control.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thank you Ta-tsu-wa, and Itlandm too by the way.
    I see that I wasn't complete with my answer.

I completely agree with my friends here. Thought will slow down by itself as a result from your observing them. Or even disappear totally for a while. But don't make that your goal. Make it your goal to observe them. They will disappear by themselves if you do that.