1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by gomez, May 3, 2009.

1. gomez

gomez Member

Hi! I started to meditate using the project meditation about two weeks ago. I am just wondering if I am doing something incorrectly as I am not noticing any changes. Let me explain you how I do it.
    I meditate once a day for about 20 minutes. I use the 14 minutes life flow recording and while saying my mantra, then I continue for another 6 minutes in silence repeating my mantra. My mind is all over the place thinking about million things. It takes me a lot to concentrate on my mantra and it comes and goes and I forget about it and thoughts just constantly come.
    The best bit is when I do the gratitude exercise. For this I use the music, it is fantastic. I always feel so happy after the gratitute exercise and relax.
    So, is there any thing I should do different or just keep going with that?
    Thanks for your advice,
    Gomez

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Gomez and welcome to the forum.

What time of day are you meditating?
    For a lot of people they find it easier to meditate first thing in the morning (set your alarm half an hour earlier if you have to!). This seems to be because we have just awoken from sleep and we have very few distracting thoughts at that time, unlike at the end of the day when you find more thoughts about the day whizzing about in your head.

A couple of points about meditating..

This is perfectly normal. Our minds tend to do that. The trick here is to recognise that our minds will always attempt to bring thoughts up into our consciousness. Rather than try and ignore the thoughts (which takes thought to do in itself), simply recognise that the thoughts are there and choose to let them go. If you find you have latched onto a particular thought, recognise this and let it go. A good analogy of this is.. If you were sat in your living room and a car drove past your house, you wouldn't leap up, run out the front door and go chasing it down the road, yet we find ourselves doing this all the time with our thoughts. The cars will pass every now and then. Recognise they will be there and simply let them be.

If you are putting effort into concentrating on your mantra then you are using your mind and your thoughts to consciously focus on it. This will prevent you from letting go of that area of your mind that is your thoughts. When you recognise that the thoughts are there, choose to let them go and simply have the intention to 'invite' your mantra back, and let it come to you in it's own way, whether it is fast, slow, quiet, loud, occasional or regular. It is very easy to try too hard. ;)

And finally, as with all things, it takes practice.

Many people have meditated for many years and still get distracted by thoughts etc. It's perfectly normal. The benefits of meditation do not necessarily all come straight away and may not necessarily be sudden changes; they may be something that you gradually notice after a time when you look back on how things were some time ago. With practice you may occasionally get glipses of something during the meditation... an awareness of something that you can't put words to. This is not something you can actively seek out, you simply have to let it come to you, and for some it will come quickly or more often than for other people, but it will come.

Hugs

Giles

3. arvindautar

arvindautar Member

welcome :)

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Welcome
    gus

5. gomez

gomez Member

Dear Giles,

Thank you so much for taking the time of reading this and getting back to me. It really helps. I take all this on board and keep practising. I can't wait!
    all the best, and thank you again for such a complete answer to my question, perfect!
    Gomez x

6. gomez

gomez Member

Thank you!

7. gomez

gomez Member

thank you!!