1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello, i'm new and need help

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by John1992, Aug 14, 2014.

1. John1992

John1992 New Member

Hello in 22 years i've never practised anything like this, i've always had a lot of anxiety problems for various reasons, generally a negative first approach towards anything new, this last college year started badly and the negativity/tense/stressed/anxious feelings kept building with me doing nothing to stop them, always trying to improve at next try but it just wasn't working.

I eventually did the blood tests, healthy body, poor in brain health, low serotonin, low nerepinephrine, etc.

I started taking vitamins for the brain and obviously anti-depressant, aswell as thinking about how could my day be better, how can I arrange it so that I can feel good throughout the day i've went a long way, in short a month later i'm a lot better, but still during the day ( despite being all day) I still have very intense anxiety sometimes, I believe meditation would be another great add-on to my day but sadly when I tried two times I think I was already too anxious/tense, it almost looked like i'm with fever my skin is so hot from the heart beats, and I couldn't let go, I really need a lot of tips, hoping you could help me :)

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

In addition to Polly's advice,

Meditating a couple of times is hardly sufficient to be noticing the benefits. It is something you will need to stick at for a while, and then when you look back you'll notice how it's benefitted you. Unfortunately many people think meditation (and other things) are like golden bullets; you just do it and kapow! everything is magically better. It would be great if that were the case, but very few people will experience anything like that so suddenly. So, let's not kid ourselves, meditation does take practice and dedication, just like anything in life.

Also, if you're low on serotonin, you probably need to do more exercise. It's one of the best natural ways of increasing your levels and getting that 'feel good' factor. Perhaps do 20 minutes of meditation first thing in the morning, followed by a not-to-strenuous 20-30 minutes of exercise e.g. go out and ride your bike, or go for a jog or something; getting fresh air into your lungs.

Certainly, college years can seem stressful and seem to cause anxiety, but that's because we end up spending so much time sitting and studying, and forget the importance of 'quiet time' and exercise. ;)

Hugs

Giles

4. olmate

olmate Member

In addition to Polly's and Giles great advice...

Also try something simple like using a standing workstation where you do your study. The simple act of standing keeps you moving, gives you great posture and helps significantly with your breathing.

Sometimes it is the little things that make big differences.

Olmate