1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello Folks!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by airportlounge, Dec 21, 2007.

1. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

My name is Ryan, and I thought I'd take a little time to introduce myself to the Project Meditation Community. I'd also like to congratulate everyone on taking the same step I have in order to research the benefits and techniques of meditation to improve their lives.

It's been a few years now since I first decided to investigate the area I like to call 'meditative augmentation'. The first thing I stumbled upon was holosync, a popular brain entrainment technique popularized by Centrepointe research. This programme utilized simply binaural beats. I found, however, that the programme did not work for me (though it worked for some others). Time progressed, and in periods when I did have clarity of mind and the ability to focus, I didn't feel I needed these augmentations and was able to meditate quite soundly without them. With the stresses of school, my ability to concentrate and focus began to slide and I lost interest in meditation rather quickly thereafter. After stumbling upon Project Meditation a while back, my interest was somewhat rekindled in brain entrainment. Once I received the invitation to this community in my email inbox, and having been in somewhat of a rut, I decided 'why the heck not', and downloaded Lifeflow 10. I'll tell you my results for my first try, which was last night (I'll be trying it again tonight as well). Firstly, I noticed that this brain entrainment wave does provide a greater ability to focus, especially for breath counting. I also try to create settings in my meditation, and focus on the various characteristics of that setting (In Lifeflow 10, a field with a rushing creek on a somewhat gloomy, yet peaceful day with a gentle breeze..for me anyways) Also, I noticed a slight elevation in mood (which I'm sure gets more elevated with time), which may have been placebo or knowing that I am making a great change in my life.

In any event, I know this post is possibly of forbidding length, but wanted to introduce myself to the community and let them know a little bit about my background in the field of novice meditation :p

2. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Hello, Ryan!

It's good to hear your experience with it. My first experience with LifeFlow was not extremely pleasant, because I had just skipped a day of meditation, (only to have it coincide with a day of extreme pressure--which, I contend, I could have dealt with had I meditated) so I suddenly actually LOST the ability to meditate, which is odd to say...

But the thing is, I had only meditated about twenty times in my life before that, and only about eight daily preceding the first time with LifeFlow.

However, after learning again with the Discover Meditation CDs, I finally took another listen to LifeFlow 10, and I just became so lost in the beauty of the sounds that my mind eased into making them visual.

I pictured myself, sitting by a lakeside (a particular lake but a mile from my house) on a large rock (a particular rock which I know is there), except this lake is different, because my mind incorporated the waterfall :p

After a while it sort of became like a Loving Kindness meditation. I pictured people lined up, hand-in-hand, around the shore of the lake. I stepped onto the water and walked across the lake. I saw faces I knew, and faces I did not.

I met with faces I knew not, and said, "I do not know you, but I love you," and passed onto the next face. I stood before a tall man, said, "I do not know you," and he stabbed me, and suddenly the splashing and running of the waterfall became cheering. People supported the man's action. I then pulled the knife from my belly, and the wound healed. And I continued, "...and I love you." This was a great revelation to me, and I still feel that love for all that I always feel.

I kept my mind silent except for that--and nearing the end, I actually began feeling a breeze, which I thought was odd. When the "Whoosh" of the "breeze" in the audio moved from the right ear to the left, and visa versa, I would feel a breeze from my right side, or left side respectively.

One thing that helped me when listening to it was concentrating on when that breeze went from right to left. When I meditate in silence, I do pretty much the same thing--except with the ticking of two clocks which are 0.5 seconds out of syncronization--and on either side of the room. So every half-second I hear a tick from one side or the other, and I picture the gears and mechanics of a pendulum clock going back and forth.

P.S. - My reply is also exceedingly long :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  3. airportlounge

airportlounge Member

Hey thanks for the reply!

It's definitely interesting to hear your experience with meditation and mentally forging some strange but intriguing atmospheres as I try to do when I meditate. I have gathered from your written experience that you were able to create a much more complex atmosphere even emotionally, which I think is quite amazing! You seem to have some sort of innate ability to get much out of meditative practice, and one can only hope you continue to build upon this.