1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Anglepen, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

Hi all

Very glad to find this forum, my name is Kev, I am 39 and have been very interested in learning to meditate for some months now.

I have a stressful life, as we all do, but its altering my moods and making me snappy and irritable, and it has started affecting my home life.
    So I have undertaken to learn to meditate and make it a part of my life on an ongoing basis.

I'll admit I have tried Binaural beat cd's recently but really want to learn to meditate from the very basics and add the beats to assist me in a more structured way rather than haphazzardly firing up a tune on my headphones and listening.
    The structured program that Life Flow offers may just be what I am after.

I'll admit I am a little cautious of forums hosted directly by the company selling the product and possible moderation of postings but I'll give it a go here.

Thanks again, I am really looking forward to hearing and reading your advice.

Cheers
    Kev

2. Still Waters

Still Waters Member

Hi Kev and welcome.

I think you will find a lot of honesty on this forum and people will encourage you to find what is best for you. I found this site after having used Holysinc for a while but found the price structure a bit prohibitive. I then learned that LifeFlow does not take you gradually down to the optimum brainwave level and then back up again but holds it constant. Therefore if you are on level 10 it will maintain that level all the way through and then after a month or two you are ready to go on to level 9. Apparently the brain is able to cope better with this arrangement.

I am sure someone will arrive with a more technical explanation.

Anyway welcome to the community. I am sure you will find much support here from a friendly bunch

Chris.

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Kev, and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

It also has a positive side to it, that you can get advice direct from the source too.
    In truth, the only moderation that seems to go on on this forum is to stop spamming and advertising. If you have a valid critisism or complaint then I don't believe that will be prevented from being on the forums; rather you're likely to get advice about it, or if necessary your issue will be taken on board by Michael and the admin team.

Whilst it may be hosted by the company selling the product (I've never looked at it as a company before, just Michael and his team offering free meditation teachings and advice and providing Lifeflow at a reasonable price), the majority of the members here are just ordinary people like me and you who are looking to discuss meditation and related topics and offer help to others where we can.

Enjoy your time here. :)

Hugs

Giles

4. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, its very much appreciated to know I am soon to be part of a likeminded bunch of friends and supporters.

Can Giles, Still waters or someone comment on the choice by me to following a slow progressive and structured program rather than diving in with Theta wave Beats and jumping in at the deep end? I think my choice is right but I fear my interest waining after spending a month on each cd, especially in Alpha wave training.

Thanks again.

Kev

Be strong.

5. Still Waters

Still Waters Member

This is not a race Kev and a slow progression is the best way to proceed. Remember that this is a life long discipline that you are adopting. I am a distance runner and I did not run marathons from day one. It takes months and years to build up and condition the body. It is similar with meditation, you are conditioning the brain, and you dont want to overload it too quickly.

Enjoy the process. Enjoy the journey. Focus on that rather than the destination. It may seem like slow progress at times but you will look back and realise how far you have actually come.

I know it is tempting to think about what the next CD is about. Resist that temptation. Meditation is not about the sounds of a CD. I dont even hear them now as such now. Neither is it about what you experience. It is always about watching your thoughts and sensations and then letting them go. LifeFlow is merely an aid to that. We have to do the meditating. So be gentle with yourself, and enjoy the process

Chris

6. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

Hi Chris

Sounds like exactly what I have been telling myself for some months now! I guess I just need confirmation from a more experienced member.

Thanks Chris

Kev

7. Midnight

Midnight Member

Yes, it's very important to pace yourself and move slowly if you need to. Sykscrapers would fall down instantly without a rock-solid foundation. Starting with Alpha waves and moving on comfortably is how you can build up a great foundation for the rest of the building.

I got all the way down to LF 6, but I didn't learn to meditate until LF 8. Regardless, I kept going with the series, until I felt more and more that I should start over to really benefit from the deeper tracks. I decided to go back to LF 10 along with a good pair of over the ear headphones and it was a great decision, because now I don't feel numbness in my head afterwards, and I just feel way more relaxed.

And remember, deeper tracks don't always mean they are better. I've had wonderful experiences with LF10 and other alpha tracks, much more than the theta tracks i've listened to (though the reason I didn't enjoy theta as much as I could have was because of the weak foundation I set for myself)

So take your time, relax, have fun, and enjoy everything. Welcome to the forums.

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

I guess I would liken it to learning to fly a plane.
    You wouldn't jump straight into a fighter jet with no training and expect to be able to control it, but would be far better starting with a light small aircraft with a suitable instructor building your way up with practice, practice and more practice.

At first dedicating some time to meditating can sometimes seem overbearing and your mind is always telling you you have other things to be getting on with. But remember one of the points of meditation is to still the mind and let those other things go. In the long run, the stillness of mind will allow the other tasks of the day to be achieved with greater ease.

;)

Hugs

Giles

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

I even give this advice to long term meditators, to start with LifeFlow 10.

There is a HUGE difference between meditation where most parts of the brain are in Alpha brainwaves, and http://www.project-meditation.org/c...editation/24-whole-brain-synchronization.html
    <-- link
    Even the most experienced meditators can still benefit from the enhanced whole brain meditation that LifeFlow offers.