1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Novus, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Novus

Novus Member

Hello, I'm Novus. :)

I've recently started to meditate again and thought it would be fruitfull to be able to tap into the knowledge of a meditation community, so here I am.
    I'll introduce myself first and then describe my meditation.

I'm male and 21 years old. I'm from switzerland but I'm currently living and studying in Singapore. I want to become a concept artist, that's someone who makes paintings and designs which are used for the making of movies and videogames.

As a child I had a huge affection for different realities that resulted in a big interest for fantasy, sci-fi and so on. Getting older I got a little depressed 'cause I faced the truth that my life is "ordinary" and would never be like in these fantasy stories. That's probably the reason I've started to do drugs. With 16 I started to smoke cannabis, with 17 I took LSD for the very first time, which changed everything. I realised that my life is as miraculous as any of these fantasy stories could ever be because it's real and completely up to me what I'm going to experience.
    From there on I've tried many different psychedelics, but would always stay away from things like cocaine, heroin or meth. For me it was and still is an adventure of self discovery. I experienced the most terrible and the most joyfull states of mind on acid and it teached me many things.

But I don't want to go too deep into that since this isn't a drug forum. But I wanted to tell you because psychedelics played a big role in shaping my personality as it is today.

As I mentioned, I've started to meditate again two weeks ago. Every evening I sit in my bed, laying the fingers of one hand into the other and connect my thumbs together. I relax my body and give my best to silence my mind. This is a very hard task for me, which I gradually get better at but the progress is very slow.
    Mostly, after one or two breaths in complete silence and darkness my mind comments with something like "That's it" or "Good, just like that" which of course shouldn't happen.
    After a while I often get some kind of wobbly sensation around me which I guess is my energy field. I've seen a youtube-video which explains, that after one has successfully silenced his/her mind, cosmic energy flows from above through the head into the body, reviving and renewing it.
    And after having mastered that stage, the third eye or the pyneal gland or however you want to call it, gets active, providing very clear visions.

I would love to experience that, but haven't been able yet. I wonder if that's "just" a lucid dream which has been achieved while sitting. :)

Before I end my meditation I like to do a Chi-exercise. I've seen a chinese healer on youtube who has mastered Chi-energy so he could even set paper on fire with his bare hands. I believe that it's not fake so I started my journey with experiencing the possibilities of that power that lies in every human being.

I hold my hands in a way like I would hold a ball of air. I slowly pull my hands apart, breathing in, imaging a force that pulls my hands together and the ball getting bigger. Than I press them together again, breathing out, imaging a force pressing my hands apart and the ball getting smaller.
    At first it was very wierd and my mind always commented with "that's stupid dude, that's not gonna work" but after a while I could feel something. Now I no longer have to imagine the force that pulls and presses my hands, I can feel it. I'll continue to do that until the sensation gets clearer.

If anyone in this forum is familiar with chi-exercises that I can do while meditating I'd be grateful for any advise! Also, do you have any tricks on how to silence the mind, apart from concentrating on breathing?

I'm thankful to everyone who read through that wall of text! May you have a pleasent week!

Greetings,
    Novus

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Novus and welcome to the Project Meditation community.

A good business to get into, especially if you're good at it and you enjoy what you're doing.

Older! Jeez, you're just 21... :D

It's possible to have a creative mind that can dream up all sorts of fantasical things without the needs of drugs. I personally wouldn't recommend drugs and don't see the need for them when meditation allows the realization of being connected to everything etc. and that's fantastical in itself.

It's something that has been discussed on these forums before, and there are some members who have openly admitted to their drug use and how they feel it benefits them. As I perceive it, those 'benefits' are just what the mind is perceiving, and not real benefits. However it's up to each individual to find out the 'truth'.

It would be nice if it didn't happen, but it does, because that's what the mind is like. We call it the discursive mind because it likes to get in the way of things. If you are aware that this is just the mind doing what it does, you can choose not to get attached to its 'thoughts' and just let them pass as they come up, and if you can do that (just letting the thoughts pass) then you are meditating just fine.

Be cautious of what you find on the internet. There are many 'new age' ideas that mix and match different techniques and explanations and make lots of assumptions about things. Whilst I agree with the fact we have an energy field and we can channel that energy through our body's (I'm a Reiki practitioner myself as well as doing other energy work) the point of meditation is not to try and 'get visions' and it's not possible to completely silence the mind. The mind will chatter, that's a fact, the key to meditation is to not become attached to the chatter. As for the visions, they are more akin to shamanic and/or tribal practices (google for something like "ayahausca visions") unless you are actually undertaking a guided visual meditation. As I understand it, from personal experience, the deepest meditations come when we let go of attachments to thoughts, visions or sensations that occur during our meditation practice... they arise, but we're just aware of them and let them pass.

Chi is the Chinese name for life force energy (the energy that is within everything), sometimes called 'universal energy' or 'cosmic energy'. In Japanese it is called Ki (hence the Ki in the practice of Reiki). There are lots of different practices that utillise the Chi energy, including Tai Chi which is often seen by many as some sort of gentle exercise that Chinese people do in the morning, but is really rooted historically from a martial art (typically for self defence), and these practices can show the enormous ability to channel chi energy for various uses.

This is a practice from Chi Kung (Qigong). Look up "chi kung energy ball" on the web.

Well, as you've probably already guessed there's a lot of different energy practices and it all depends what you are aiming for. Practices such as Tai Chi, aim to use the practice to build up Chi energy within oneself that can then be used or applied. With such practices, the energy is used and then has to be replenished by performing more exercises. Other practices such as Reiki incorporate Reiju empowerments or attunements from a Reiki Master/Teacher which then allow the Reiki practitioner to channel energy through themselves from the universe without depleting their own internal resources of energy. From what you've described of your current practices, I would suggest you look at something like Tai Chi and Chi Kung.

Hugs

Giles

3. Novus

Novus Member

Hi Giles, thanks a lot for the reply!

Of course you are right in every aspect. There was and never will be a "need" for a human to take drugs. Every kind of knowledge obtained with drug experiences can be obtained completely sober. The difference tho in most cases it takes much longer to get to this knowledge sober (I'm speaking of a high amount of self awarness, the connection between all the things that surround us and most of all the realisation that the way we perceive every day life is not the only way to perceive reality,the feeling that there are more "invisible" layers to it so to speak) and drugs like acid act as a short cut. The price of course is the danger of not being prepared to these experiences, which lead to the well known "bad trips". But even those are salutary when interpreted correctly.

Many thanks for giving me the term of the exercise I'm doing, I must have picked it up somewhen on the internet, but couldn't remember it. I going to do more research about the different approaches to use Chi-energy.

I understand what you mean by not being attached to own thoughts. Maybe you know Eckhart Tolle, he speaks of the same. I consider this to be one the most important lessons in my life, to understand that my own being never was dependend on my realm of thoughts nor to any experience I make in this world. The abbility to detach oneself from thought (may it be inner thought or outer input) gives a huge amount of freedom and sanity.

On my last nights meditation I felt a new sensation. After about 15min in I got a tingling sensation on my forehead. First it was just a very small spot, then it got a little bigger. I think I've read about this, that it's actually possible to spread this feeling over the entire body. Can you tell me more about it?

I know that I tend to write quite a lot and I give my best to make it shorter next time. :) Anyway thanks for reading!

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

I'd have to disagree (politely of course :)). I don't believe that reaching states of awareness takes longer without drugs, and I believe that the 'awareness' perceived on drugs is not necessarily true awareness, but just an illusion of it created by a drug induced state in the mind. If you are perceiving "short cuts" to awareness then you are perceiving awareness as being something that is seperate from the Self, but as true awareness is already with us, we don't have to short cut to get to it, we can achieve it simply through Being awareness. No short cut required as there's no distance to travel.

Happy to help. :)

Yes, Ekhart Tolle's "teachings" about being in the present moment (the power of Now) and awareness and attachments etc. are not new teachings that he has developed. He has simply put the teachings into modern day terms for the current market (and done quite well for himself out of it I guess, in terms of fame and money ;) ). What he teaches is rooted in the philosophy of Advaita (non duality - or more literally transalated as "not two"), which is what the Hindu philosophy is based upon as well as being the basis for many other philosophies and religions (e.g. Buddhism). He's done a good job of translating those teachings into terms that people of any belief or (non-)faith can use in everyday lives.

Whilst meditating we can experience many different sensations. We can choose to attach to these sensations and focus on them, and we can even choose to try and interpret these things in different ways, based on different beliefs and understandings. Yes, certainly the fact that there is a sensation there indicates a flow of energy in terms of Chi etc. but try not to read anything into it, and bring your focus back to your meditation practice. Otherwise it will only seve to distract your practice.

No worries about that, I tend to write a lot myself. That's what happens with the ability to touch type. :D

Hugs

Giles

5. Novus

Novus Member

We probably have a sligthly different perspective on this matter. Also I can't be sure if we're speaking of the same thing when we talk about awareness.
    I don't mean to teach you, but I think you can't really judge wether the experiences on trips are actually illusionary if you never have been in such a state of mind yourself. In a way every perception is illusionary anyway because every human perceives life in a different way and associates every new input with old experiences. Saying one perception is more "real" or "true" is dangerous. I know you didn't actually say this. :)

When I said shortcut I was mainly refering to self-development. One major effect of LSD is that you look at things with a completely fresh eye, the drug forces you to overthink your entire(!) believe-system. On most points one will be affirmed about what he thinks of the world and himself, but quite often you come to points where you realize that you don't like the way you are. And these are often points you wouldn't even notice when you're sober because you are always caught up in your old believe-system that acts like a filter. As soon as you know what you don't like about yourself you have the power to change it. This mechanism was a huge help in my life. And I got to say I've never met anybody that made that kind of progress in a 12 hour meditation session, which is the time a trip lasts.. So that's what I meant with shortcut.
    But anyway I totally agree with you, awarness which in this case I interpret as the feeling of being independend and one with everything is inside of you at any given moment. One can feel that in an instant and surely needs no drug for it. :)

Hehe yes, I guess that most of the teachers nowadays don't produce new ideas rather than converting old ones into better understanding.

I will remember this. More and more I start to realize that the real "game" of meditation is to fight distractions and the strengthen the abbility to focus.

There seems to grow another obstacle in my mind which is boredom. I'm afraid I suffer from a modern society mind pattern, which constantly needs new things to be entertained. I think I'll just insist so long on meditating daily until it becomes a solid habbit and boredom won't stop me anymore. ^^

Can you recommend a good website that offers tutorials on Qigong for free?

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it!

Greetings,
    Novus

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

I'm not aware of such sites off-hand, but I'm sure if you search around you may find plenty of good stuff for free, e.g. on youtube etc.