1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Hello, everybody!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by RamiroMexico, Oct 15, 2008.

1. RamiroMexico

RamiroMexico New Member

I am Ramiro from Mexico, I started yesterday and I'll let you know how I'm doing after a while... Best regards and wishes

2. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Welcome

Hi Ramiro,
    Welcome to this formum! I hope you will find the support and suggestions here as beneficial as I have.

I am curious. Please don't feel you have to respond, but what circumstances in your life brought you to "Project Meditation?" In my opinion, you have been drawn to a community that is really going to bless your life, and I'm happy for you. Take care. --Keith :)

3. filly33

filly33 Member

Welcome Ramiro.

Best wishes on the beginning of your journey. The only thing I can say is stick with it, no matter how hard it gets. It is totally worth it. Cheers.

Mitch

4. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Welcome Remiro,
    Keep us posted. If you have any questions fire away!

gus

5. Dr. Cowboy

Dr. Cowboy Member

New here

Hi!
    My name is Dr. Cowboy and I am just finishing my first month listening to lifeflow level 10 CD and this is the first time I login to this forum!

The problems I've had so far is that I feel like I am falling asleep and then suddenly I may start to have throat problems, like my uvula obstructs my airway partially like when someone is just starting to snoret and then I wake up because I need air to breathe!

Has this happened to anyone yet?

6. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Dr. Cowboy,
    I've not heard anyone describe this exact problem yet. If I was going to venture a guess; I'd say it is just another variation of fear of the unknown. It happens when one is on the verge of bringing some long lost thought of a painful experience (memory) to the surface.

The surfacing of these thoughts is very common while listening to the CD's and meditating. Some of them can be painful. One needs to remember that they are merely memories with no real power in the moment. If one surfaces just observe it from an objective point of view if you can. See it for what it is and release it. I've yet to have one reappear once I've given it it's due process.

There other ways of dealing with some of the more painful ones such as the Sedona Method. I'm not too familiar with this method but others here such as Edwin and Montana keith have used it I believe. Maybe they'll chime in here with some suggestions.
    Hang in there. Whatever you are experiencing; there is someone here that has gone through it at some point.

gus

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

It may also be that you are lying down while meditating ? I sometimes experience the same kind of feeling when lying down, as I relax my throat seems to want to obstruckt. I recommend you try sitting with a straight spine ( like on a dining chair with a small pillow behind your back to stay up straight ) this will keep you from falling asleep, and you are less likely to start "snoring". Btw do you snore ? if so, be carefull, some people can get a condition called "Apneu" from that, making them sleep badly and experience oxygen shortages during sleep, resulting in brain and heart damage.

Sorry to spook you this way, lets get back to meditation :)

8. Dr. Cowboy

Dr. Cowboy Member

Thank you to both of you for the insights... I will try doing it while seated.

I have found a webpage telling about the dangers of waking up your kundalini, it says that it can happen with unproper meditation and breathing techniques, and may even put you into psychosis, As a doctor, I remember about having seen somewhere, in Canada, a psychiatrist which had alot of experience working with Qigong-disease patients and kundalini diseases... they had Psychotic-like diseases..

Do you know if this could happen with lifeflow? I am not even kidding here! I would like some insights from experienced people out here =D

Regards, and thanks for the replies! :)

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there Dr. Cowboy and welcome to this great community. I would like to ask you two important questions?

Have you read Michael's report in "Learn how you can benefit from Project-Meditation?" and did you begin with Discover Meditation?

The reports will help you to understand that you are using a simple mantra meditation that helps you to get back to your true and natural self. LifeFlow gently guides you into brainwave states that you enter into in a normal 24 hour cycle. My grandchildren of 5 and 7 listen to various LifeFlow tracks to help them with homework, creative work, learning a new language and going to sleep.

I have copied a piece from one of the reports for you below.

"Be assured, LifeFlow entrainment is safe for any age group to listen. Meditation can bring up repressed feelings and sensations, sometimes even things we didn't know we were carrying around with us. Bringing up these hidden things can give the impression to a person that they just "came out of nowhere". You may well be sub consciously resisting whatever is coming up to be released. Whenever you feel any discomfort during or after meditation, it simply means you are resisting and it is the resistance itself that is causing the discomfort.

The solution to resisting is to simply and unemotionally observe your thoughts and feelings with unattached curiosity. Simply accept whatever thoughts and feelings you experience, and just observe them, unemotionally. Just be aware of them and watch them with great curiosity and indifference. When you consciously and calmly observe anything that does not serve you well it will simply fritter away.

Most people don't like change and feel threatened by it because they feel comfortable and safe the way they are. When change occurs, fear and the resistance to change follow, even if it appears evident that some benefits would be gained. Whenever people resist something, they inevitably experience discomfort and suffer.

How do I observe an emotion?

To observe or be aware of an emotion is basically the same as observing a thought. The only difference being instead of the thought being in your head, an emotion has a strong physical element and therefore it is first and foremost felt in the body. Allow the emotion to be there without becoming attached to it or identifying it with yourself. When you consciously observe the emotion or sensation it will lose its power."

It's common for people to sometimes fall asleep initially, I certainly used to do. I have used all the LifeFlow meditation C.D.'s and have and still do experience various relaxing and enjoyable sensations and the benefits I enjoy are outstanding. If I think back to the beginning, sometimes it felt really weird if I could not feel my hands touching anything (when in fact they were) or I'd lose a sense of where I was, but all this was simply becoming relaxed and quiet. I wish you inner peace and joy :) :) :)

10. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I have heard of the improper awakening of kundalini and the negative affects it can have on a person. I have not, however, heard of it happening with meditation alone. There is a meditation yoga program with the name of Kundalini Yoga. I understand if the exercises involved in this type of yoga are not done correctly one can have problems with the kundalina energy flow.
    That is all I know of it.
    I did take some kundalini yoga classes last winter while working in Sacramento and loved them. I still do the exercises once in awhile. The physical signs of doing kudalini yoga are very apparent after doing the exercises for awhile. It is very rewarding too.
    gus

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I have searched the internet the last couple of months about Kundalini.
    There are some sites, even scientific, that cover it.

For what I have heard, there are about 50 people who experience a spontaniousKundalini awakening every year in the US alone.
    This might be triggered by a fearfull experience, an accident, alcohol or drugs, or simply by lying in bed staring at the ceiling.
    So, those are the odds for you. Since meditation in itself doesn't cause Kundalini awakenings unless you willfully try to unwind your chakra's during meditation like special Kundalini meditation, you might be one of those spontanious awakeners, but otherwise, you are safe.

Even tho Kundalini might cause problems, even Bipolar disease with some people, in fact it is a process of awakening/healing.
    However, since a lot of people lack counceling after the awakening, they might completely loose touch with reality.
    Mind you, Kundalini energy is strong raw sexual energy, not to be compared or mistaken with enlightenment.

It is a process on the road to enlightenment tho, and best is to try tantra meditation ( yes, it is more than sex ).
    Tantra just uses sexuality as a means of reaching enlightenment, and can be of huge help in channeling the raw Kundalini energy.

I hope I have clarified some things for you :)

12. wilks04

wilks04 Member

Psychosis?

Ah, I have to admit to being somewhat freaked out reading about this Kundalini thingo.... I wish I had never read that post.

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hmm, that is called irrational fear I am afraid.

Maybe some numbers will set you at ease:

There are 50 Kundalini awakenings in the USA ( not supported by science )

In 2007, 45 people were struck and killed by lightning in the U.S.
    The the chances of being struck by lightning are estimated at 1 in 700,000.

in 2007, 41059 people were killed by traffic,
    and 2,491,000 people injured by traffic.

Now about Kundalini itself:
    Kundalini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kundalini is not bad, or dangerous.
    However, it is advisable to practice it under supervision of a trained master or yogi.
    This because he/she can help with keeping your feet at the ground.
    It's not likely that you will go into psychosis or suffer bipolar disease when properly helped.
    It is a natural state of the body/mind, just very unknown to us westerners.

14. Montana Keith

Montana Keith Member

Hi Edwin,
    Not a lot to say this morning other than that reading your posts is always a joy and inspiration to me. I notice the time and effort you put into nurturing the wellbeing of this forum and its members. Just wanted to say thanks and to wish you and your family peace and wellness this day.

Are the leaves on the trees in Holland changing into their autumn colors? I think I read once that you ride your bike to and from work. I don't know, but I imagine you riding past trees whose leaves are brilliant Autumn colors. My home in Lindon, Utah is at the foot of and just west of the 10,000 foot plus Wasatch Mountains. This morning I witnessed a scene that took my breath away. The tops of the mountains were wreathed in gray autumn clouds. I was fortunate to be present just at the moment the sun was rising from behind the mountains. The lighting was brilliant and awe inspiring. It was a warm golden, a silent golden light that brought the whole world into a quiet sense of awareness. It was just so peaceful to notice the yellow, rust color, red, pink, and orange leaves on the trees and fallen along the road as I drove to work. I don't know, but I felt so blessed and loved.

Wishing you well. --Keith :)

15. Dr. Cowboy

Dr. Cowboy Member

Kundalini dangers

Thanks to all for your valuable feedback, I was justr afraid I could do something wrong while listening to the Lifeflow CDs, of course , I started with level 10 and I've been at it for a month and I've experienced the sometimes unpleasante feelings of remembering some bad experiences that had been resting in my subconscious mind for a long time, I now just observe them pass through...

Well, It certainly is not bad by itself, but it CAN BE dangerous, sure it can, if improperly awakened. Thanks for your great insights. :)

I didn't mean to cause fear in anybody, and I am not even making this up, I really read in MANY webpages that an improper meditation (I didn't know it had to be a pranayama or kundalini yoga, etc) COULD cause a violent and destroying kundalini awakening, I herein post some URLs of the more informative web pages on the subject:

Kundalini Danger! Kundalini exercises can be a Pitfall on the Spiritual Road.

Kundalini Danger

Kundalini FAQ

Danger: High Voltage

Dangers of Kundalini Yoga

http://www.adishakti.org/pdf_files/danger_high_voltage_(hmt.com).pdf

Kundalini - An Occult Experience - By G.S. Arundale

Thank you very much for your insights,

Regards,

Dr. Cowboy

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  16. Edwin

Edwin Member

Keith, I will get back on you later, but thanks in advance ;) I feel the same way and might actually have shared the moment with you, only at a different time :)

Dr. Cowboy, I know that some sites can be a bit... scary on this subject, I have felt the same way.
    However, it is also a matter of living, and to what degree us humans accept risks.

Every day is riskmanangement, even when we don't know it conciously.

An example:

At an unguarded railroad crossing in Canada, researchers noticed something amazing:

Due to the large number of people being killed by being hit by a train, the local government decided that measures had to be taken to make sure the casualty rate went down.
    Since the train only crossed twice a day, people thought:
    "Heck, what are the odds of the train actually hitting me" and they kept driving on at the same speed only to get struck by the train because they didn't look for it.

So, the government put up warning signs, and cut off the trees and bushes around the crossing to allow the motorists a better view, so they could notice the train sooner, and anticipate on that.

Now here comes the mind boggling fact:

The number of fatalities whent UP !!

So what the hoohaa happened ?

Well, since people were given a much better view, they didn't adjust their risk, they adjusted their speed up to a level where their risk-management part of their brain told them the odds were the same from before the changes made... or in other words:

They speeded up !

Since at a higher speed their reaction time was limited, the odds went up of being hit by that same train.

The point of the story is that living is risk management, and one can never rule out danger, we simply have to accept certain levels of danger as a part of our lives.

I have been meditating for a year now, and accept the danger of Kundalini for what it is. Very small odds, and even then, curable when encountered.

17. Shivaya

Shivaya Member

Hello. I'm new posting here but have been lurking as a guest and reading posts for a couple of months. Just wanted to say that I began practicing energy meditation back in the 70s. I've read quite a few books on the subject and received personal instruction in both kundalini and Taoist energy techniques. From my reading I can say that opinions on this subject range all over the map. Even well known masters contradict each other about whether or not any real harm can be caused. My personal thinking is that people who experience problems after practicing kundalini may have already had buried problems before meditation. Kundalini practice just lowered the defensive walls that kept those problems bottled up inside and maybe the same would have happened no matter what meditation technique they used. In more than 30 years of practice I have not personally met anyone who has suffered any psychological harm practicing kundalini techniques, and I know a lot of practitioners.

18. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Shivaya,
    I'm inclined to agree.

I think one would stand better chances of getting struck by lightning than having problems with kundalini energy.

BTW welcome Shivaya. Glad we found something you felt strongly enough about to bring you forward. Thanks for the input.

gus

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  19. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Edwin,
    I somehow had missed your earlier post, about the reference to lightening, until after I entered this one.

gus

20. Edwin

Edwin Member

Great minds think alike ;)