1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

headphone query

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by mortie, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mortie

mortie Member

I am not sure I am doing this right. Not used to these sort of blogs :) However I need to understand something. I am a newbie and I have my first level of life flow and am enjoying it. I did TM years ago but needed a good boost to start again which Michael has certainly given me. However I am confused about headphones. Before I buy a new pair I have some good ones already that are AKG ones. they have k301xtra written on them and I was wondering if they would be ok for using with lifeflow. I read that you have to not have the bass or anything turned up , or something like that. I have no idea what these headphones actually do as far as that. There are no controls on them so would they be ok to use with Lifeflow does anyone know. They are over the ear style and cut out all outside noise so very good that way. Just wondered if they also cut out the Binaural beats or anything like that as I read that some headphones can render the effect of lifeflow useless. Can anyone advise me please. I think I read somewhere online that these headphones might have a strong bass or something. I am not very cluey on all this stuff. I originally got them for using with Holosync but don't know if they were the right ones. Never got past second level on holosync. Too expensive for me. But it seemed pleasant enough at the time if not a bit laborious at times. Lifeflow is a lot more enjoyable. My only comment is a positive one so far. I write kids adventure stuff for a hobby and as soon as I put the lifelow on I relax and almost immediatly all these ideas for story plots come rolling in so fast I have to stop and write them down. It happens everytime. I dont know why. Anyone explain that? So soon in the course as well.

Cheers Mortie

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Mortie and welcome to the community - I'm so pleased you are enjoying LifeFlow - it has improved my life and the lives of many others here in endless ways.

I will have to check out the particular headphones you mention, although it sounds as though they are working fine with the results you are getting.

Your own brain creates the binaural beats from the difference in the tones placed in each ear. Monaural and Isochronics work with and without headphones. You can meditate to LF with headphones sometimes and without at other times as Michael recommends

You are probably getting lots of ideas for story plots because when new neural pathways are formed, a greater understanding is born and you acquire the realization that you have many more choices and opportunities than you previously believed.

No matter that it’s happening so soon, just enjoy and make note of your great ideas. Personally, I now find solutions to problems so easily and a few of them have been solutions I have been searching years for. It's like a revelation when this occurs :) I wish you much peace and joy on your amazing journey of self discovery :) :) :)

3. mortie

mortie Member

thank you :)

4. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Welcome aboard Mortie!

Did a quick Google on the specs of your headphones. From my prespective they are suitable for LifeFlow. They are "studio quality" which means they do not "distort" the sound via bass boosting, etc. The "stated" low end value of the frequency range of 18Hz may be thought of as being a drawback but my thoughts are that these headphones handle abit lower than that value.

My thoughts are...........if you "feel" the entrainment....that superb relaxing "body calm drop down" when you have used the phones...they "rock".:D

shine on :)

jim

5. jodie

jodie Moderator

Mortie, your headphones are suitable for Lifeflow...

I have checked these out and they are absolutely fine to listen to the Lifeflow tracks with. As there is no automatically adjusting settings for bass, treble etc you will only need to check your music system (ipod, Cd player etc) for these being switched on or off.

Don't forget to try listening to Creative flow and Optimal learning, you may enjoy these whilst writing also!! So glad you're enjoying Lifeflow so far!

:)

6. mortie

mortie Member

Thanks for all the info on the headphones. I appreciate all your help. I do have another question to ask though. I keep hearing about the optimal learning etc. Is this one of the life flow cd's I will get to in time as I am only on level one at this time, or is it a seperate thing entirely? Another question too. It is suggested to meditate at the same time as listening to the lifeflow which I have tried to do but I am a bit confused about the length of time. I mean with TM meditation it says to meditate twice a day for twenty minutes each. The life flow track is 40 minutes long. So is the basic idea to split the listening into two 20 minute sessions while meditating each time, or to meditate for the full 40 minutes while listening to the lifeflow cd? Also is it also ok to listen to the lifeflow track while doing other things rather than just sitting meditating as I have read of people doing things like this in Michael's support letters? It is just a case of understanding the best way to use all this stuff. With TM meditation as I said it was twice a day for twenty minutes. With holosync it was once a day for an hour which was a bit hard to do at times. So what is the very best way to practice lifeflow? I do find it hard to sort of meditate when I have the soundtracks running through my headphones at the same time, although it is easy to do when I just have it on speaker as far as the meditation goes but then it is recommended to use the soundtracks both ways isn't it? I am just trying to get into a new sort of routine with this and to get the best benefit from it all. Meditate while listening through headphones? Meditate without the headphones? Play Lifeflow in the background while I do other things like write or read? Can someone clear this up for me so that I can get into a regular routine with it all. I love the soundtracks. I feel happy and upbeat when I have listened to them so I know something is going on. I find things don't bother me in the same way lately either, but I am sure I could benefit so much more if I sort of knew a little better how I am actually supposed to be using it.
    Cheers,
    Corinne

7. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Mortie

Don't worry yourself so much on technical fine points of practice to the degree that you lose the true flavor of the meditation experience.

How long, how many times, multiple short sessions or fewer long sessions, morning, midday or evening practice...? All these questions and others like them will be dependant largely on you as an individual. Your own personal preferences and daily schedule, your experience level with meditation, the length of time you've been consistently practicing, even your particular technique of choice are all factors to take into account when you're setting up your own routine for meditation practice. And don't think that once you've got a routine set up that it will never change. Gradually, over time, as your life changes your routine will probably need to adapt as well.

Take the suggestions offered for practice as good rules of thumb or guidelines that afford you a place to start from. If you become dogmatic about it you're missing the whole point.

A practice of meditation should release you from common tensions, not be an additional source for them, so don't be obsessively strict with yourself or try to force your practice to conform to some ideal that has worked for others. Those guidelines may or may not be ideal for you. Play around with it a little and find what works best.

Rather than adopting absolute rules, design your practice around sound principles. Here is one to get you started. Think of it as the "QCQ" principle:

Quality and Consistency are more important than Quantity.

Ten minutes of meditation every day is more beneficial than 70 minutes performed one day a week.

Find a technique that feels right to you then stick with it. Don't be changing techniques all the time as though it was nothing more than a "flavor of the day," especially if you are relatively new to the practice of meditation. Find what resonates personally with you then be consistent with it.

Avoid trying to adopt an entire smorgasbord of new and exotic practices all at the same time. If you're just developing a practice of meditation, now is not the time to also try developing a practice of Reiki, and a practice of OBE experimentation, and a practice of Remote Viewing, and a practice of Lucid Dreaming, and a practice of...[pick your poison and insert here].

Take these kinds of practices slowly. Focus on just one and spend time with it. Learn it. Become familiar and intimately comfortable with it. When you are proficient, then if you want to begin incorporating some other new practice you'll be in a position to add and develop it intelligently. If you try the shotgun approach of experimenting with all the possible toys in the box at once all you'll do is end up wondering why none of them produces any particularly noteworthy results.

The Lifeflow tracks were designed specifically to enhance the practice of meditation, but they can certainly be employed in other uses. Because you know the frequencies of each track you can pick a track that will compliment any given activity. Virtually any website that discusses the four primary brainwave ranges will have a chart that suggests generally what sorts of activities and/or mental states are associated with the specific brainwave frequencies. I believe there is even something like that here on this site, or you can Google around a bit to find such a chart. Match your general activity to the frequency of the LF track and experiment for yourself to see what results you get.

What you can't do is to play a track and expect it will magically create changes in you all by itself. In other words, don't play a LF track in the background while you're doing household chores and expect that secretly, way down deep inside, it is turning you into a meditation master, or a creative genius or some such thing. It isn't, and it can't. Despite much marketing hype to the contrary, neither will the products of any other company. That would be magic, and magic is the province of Harry Potter stories.

There are countless areas these tracks can help you develop provided you are willing to put in the time and effort. They're not magic but they are powerful tools for self-development.

8. mortie

mortie Member

Thank you. Plenty of information there to digest. I appreciate all you have said. I guess I do tend to be a bit of a perfectionist and like to get things right. Something that maybe I would like to let go of:) I do get good results anyway in many ways so guess I am doing something right. Many changes going on in my life right now but I still get up with a smile on my face and have a deep sense of appreciation for things around me lately since I have been using lifeflow. I was somewhat wary when I first began but something in the way Michael presented his meditation and this forum in general seemed to come across as so genuine that I decided to give it a go and I have to admit that changes are occurring anyway and I have not felt so consistently contented with my life in a long time. I find myself taking time out to smell the roses a lot more and I find things that used to bother me somehow dont anymore. It is easier to let go of things.
    I guess in the end as you say it is not how you do it, it is just the fact that you do it anyway on a regular basis that brings the changes. Thank you for your input.
    cheers,