1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Have you gained wait from meditating?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by meditationfan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. meditationfan

meditationfan New Member

Hi,

I am interested in adopting a regular habit of meditating everyday both in the morning and at night. I am aware of the many physical and mental benefits that come with regular meditation practice. Among the myriad of meditation techniques out there, I particularly like mindfulness meditation.

I have a very thin body type for my age (I am 36 years old and weight 120 pounds). I am interested in gaining weight. I have been trying to gain weight for a over a year now by eating healthy foods that, in theory, should have helped me put on a lot of weight, perhaps 40 pounds or so. However, once I gain weight, I can't seem to maintain it. I quickly loose the weight. I have seen my doctor to rule out the possibility that this could be a medical condition such as hyperthyroidism or an other condition. The doctor did a lot tests and said that I am normal and do not have any problems. So, my metabolic rate is too high.

I read online that studies have revealed that mindfulness meditation can actually alter genes that control the metabolic rate such that it gradually reduces the rate with regular practice. Is this true? I'm thinking that I would probably be able to gain weight with regular practice of mindfulness mediation -- in addition to experiencing the other benefits of the meditation. Has anyone here put on weight as a result of practicing mindfulness meditation regularly? Which meditation technique would help me put on weight?

Thanks for your help.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi meditationfan and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

It's an interesting question and one I cannot say I know the answer to, except to say that I know I haven't gained weight from meditating, even with the slightly underactive thyroid that I have.

Certainly, your metabolic rate is governed by your body's activity, such that more activity raises the rate, and rest lowers it; so therefore it's logical that meditation will reduce your metabolic rate, certainly during your meditation, and I would think for a time after too.

However, maybe there are other factors involved that are causing you to have a higher metabolic rate than 'normal' (whatever 'normal' means!). Working in a stressful environment, or having stressful relationships etc. can effect metabolic rates, and let's not forget that everybody is different, so although you may not have anything medical to worry about, it could simply be that you are naturally a slim person. Just because you're 36 doesn't really have much to do with it. Are/Were your parents of a slim build? And when you say you eat healthy foods, what type of foods are you eating? And how much are you exercising?

When it comes down to it, it could simply be your worrying about your weight that is causing you stress and increasing your metabolism, so perhaps you need to choose to change your mindset on this... and realise that perhaps it's not really an issue (of course if you're constantly losing weight then of course return to your doctor, and/or seek the help of a nutritional therapist). Maybe meditation will help to relieve those thoughts and ideas that stress you, and it could help in that way.

Let us know how you get on

Hugs

Giles

3. coop47

coop47 New Member

Your problem with weight is probably the envy of your friends.
    Meditation is used to rest the mind's activity. This is intended to reduce stress in your life. We all have some. I am not trying to belittle your reson for taking up meditation, but as you continue to practice it, don't be surprised if the issue of weight gain takes on less significance.
    How long have you been practicing meditation?