1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Greetings

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Maitreya, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Greeting hasn't exactly been my first act as a member of this community, so I figured I would formally introduce my self.

I am a Theravadin Buddhist, and being such it would be a lie to hide behind a username, even if I do call myself that name as a person. So first off I should say my birth name, and legal name, is Scott. The name I adopted is based on my own beliefs and hopes for my life.

I have meditated sparsely in my life, but had not begun seriously practicing meditation until two weeks ago. However, it accidentally slipped my mind to meditate a few days ago, so I've had to begin again.

But I began again by using the LifeFlow system. And hour prior actually marked the end of my second meditation session using LifeFlow, but I know it will take a few days before I am where I was before I skipped that day.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but that's nigh of everything you'll need or want to know about me--except perhaps that I am completely obsessed with grammar. :)

Yours,

Maitreya.

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Maitreya !

Pleased to meet you !
    Could you please explain to me what Theravadin Buddhist means ? I mean, what would the difference be compared to a "normal Buddhist" ? Kind of struggling with words here, I have no idea what a "normal Buddhist" is too :p.

I have great interest in Buddhism, and read a lot about it the past couple of months. That's why I am interested :)

Greetings,

Edwin

3. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Sorry I haven't replied to your post very quickly. I was actually unaware there had been a reply :)

Theravadin is an adjectival form of Theravada, which means "Teachings of the Elders." It is the oldest surviving Buddhist school.

I actually define Theravadin Buddhism as "normal Buddhism," since it is the original sect of Buddhism, which follows the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism. Whereas Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism follow many other Buddhas, (whom I don't consider very enlightened, since the Mahayana and Vajrayana teachings seem to be filled with Ooky superstitions.)

I prefer following Gautama Buddha because even those after him never followed the concept of disattachment from rites and rituals, nor the release of superstitions. One, which I found rather naive, is the idea that if a student of the Buddha sells alcohol, he will be born with no hands for 500 lifetimes.

I prefer the idea: "You sell alcohol, you make up the karma, you move on, and make a point to not do it again."

I do not intend to "bash" other sects, but it seems like they are way too superstitious to actually portend that they follow the path to Awakening.

So I, my self, am trodding down this path. Several sources have claimed that this is my final incarnation, that I am to achieve enlightenment in this life.

I suppose you could call it a self-fulfilling prophecy. :)

Anyway, that's my take on Buddhism. To sum up: Theravadin Buddhism is "normal" Buddhism, since it is the original sect.

I did not cover all sects of Buddhism (that would have been tedious and would rather have annoyed you.)

However, though I call my self that to clarify where I stand on superstitions, I do not fully follow Guatama's teachings, lest I achieve enlightenment by his hand and be merely an Arahant.

I want to achieve Awakening the "old-fashioned" way and be a full-fledged Buddha. :) (Sorry for my idealistic attitude, by the way.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007