1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Focus

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by TZen10, Oct 2, 2011.

1. TZen10

TZen10 Member

I have been using life flow for several months ( I am nearing the end of #9). My concern regards my ability to focus. I am usually pretty good about refocusing my attention after my mind wanders (in the first 10-15 minutes). Though once I enter a deeper state it is very difficult for me to hold my focus. I get into a very dreamy state, and my will power to maintain focus becomes very weak as it is hard to snap out of this dreamy type state. Should I just allow this state to happen, or should I really fight to get my attention back?

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Id say if you´re aware of it, then just softly get back to your focus. No need to stress yourself in one or the other direction... if your mind tends to do it, then let it do it, but come back again if you´re aware of it. With time your focus will get sharper, like a knife :)

Atb,
    Phil

3. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

This is what I would call 'sitting in a bath of warm marmalade' very sweet but has its bitter side. It is very seductive and it is obvious that you realise the unproductiveness of it.

There are a few strategies:

keenly watch for it, recognise it, and refocus

As you become aware it is happening, allow the body to become more erect and aware - not stiffly erect - but subtly straighter.

Meditate with eyes open for a while.

Stand up to meditate for a few minutes.

Do some walking meditation for a while.

Of course, choose between these - not all in one sit!:eek:

You may feel these will throw your rhythm off and leave you dissatisfied with your meditation period, and they will. The end result, however, will be to let the mind know that you are serious about being focussed and the dreamy state will then occur less and less without you having to go to such lengths to refocus.

Of course, it depends on your reason for meditating. If it is just for relaxation, perhaps the dreamy state is not so bad!:D

peace and joy
    H