1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Fixity meditation

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Prasanam, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

I would like to know if someone here does or did the fixity meditation? To fix a point on the floor and do nothing more during 20 minutes, to observe your mental?

I started it few days ago and I would like to know if my reaction seems similar to yours.

Thank you

If not, I will explain you in detail what is this meditation and you will be free to try.

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Would love to hear some more about it, maybe not to try it but it sounds interesting none the less

3. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

I will give you the exact same thing that I read, like that I'm sure to not do any mistake.

Until now, what I experiemented is really interesting. I started it because I have a lot of problem with my mental ( I can't stop thinking and make up story in my mind). It's not a big problem, but when I started spirituality, I discover a passion for mastering every tools that God gave me.

So far I got one time to the point of no-mind. It was yesterday :) After 4 days of this kind of meditation I thought; Ok, it won't work, it will get worst in fact, but it seems that my mind decided to cooperate.

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

It often seems to work like that, I have noticed this in other meditation methods as well.
    My theory is that this has to do with "letting go". Once you stop trying too hard, suddenly it works.

It seems to me like a sound meditation method Prasanam !
    I have tried similar methods in the past, and it didn't work for me, so I don't think I will switch from my regular meditation method, but if it works for you, by all means stick to it ! :)

5. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

I agree about the letting go. It's the only way I found to be in peace with the fact that I was not able to stop thinking. When I got in peace with it, I realized; Hey, I am not thinking!...well, now I am but...;) When I realized it, I coudn't say how much time I spent thinking nothing, but I know I did it.

I'm still working on it. What do you as meditation Edwin?

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

I started out with Zen meditation, rather standard Za-Zen which I tried to learn from the internet. It was described as "just sitting still and knowing".
    I rather sucked at that, as I had nobody to warn me about the traps of meditation. After a few months I realised that I was getting nowhere with this and searched the internet for a good meditation course, and found the first site of project-meditation. This was before Michael started the forum, and I downloaded the free course and mailed Michael to ask him what the catch was.
    The course was too good to be true and I was sure I was in for some sneeky sales technique.

I was so fixed on this in fact, that I gave Michael quite a difficult time when I found out his site also sold the LifeFlow system.
    His response was so cool that I had to apologise. He told me he had developed a system, and wanted as much people to enjoy it, that's why he kept the price low. Developing the system cost him quite some money, and he wanted to make an honest profit for the work he did.
    Some people in the forum have worked as sound-engineers and they said the same, developing this kind of technology is quite expensive. But I degress...

Anyway, I have been meditation with the free meditation technique for a few years, and slowly it transformed from needing a mantra to not needing a mantra anymore at all. Just sitting still and knowing. Go figure :confused:

7. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

Yesterday was a good one. I started my fixity and I easily got to a point where there were not goal to reach. I was just watching my thought and I noticed something very interesting.
    When we act , most of the time we are not aware of what make us act, speak or whatever. With this meditation I see better what make me act and speak and it allows me to be aware of my fear, my shame and me pride.
    I always wanted to be aware of everything inside me and now I understand than my mind doesn't want me to be aware of it.

I asked myself why is that? What I see is, my mind has a ego too. My mind , or my thought are what make me believe that I am separated from anything else.

I will keep meditate on it, because I know there is a lot to observe about me fear to not be someone.
    Did someone else experimented something like that before? Am I crazy? ;)

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

You are doing quite well actually :)

Rather than saying that the mind has a ego too, I would say that the mind is the ego.
    Thoughts as you allready observed come up by themselves, and you observe the thoughts coming up ! So, if you see a thought coming up saying " I am feeling angry " is that " I " who you are, or is it ego ? Did you think the " I " thought, or did you observe it when it came up ?
    :cool:

9. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

The mind is the ego, is exactly the feeling that I had.
    It's difficul to explain state of being with words, but I will do my best.

The 'I' was certainly my ego, the part of me who feel separated and at the same time was a part of everything as consciousness. It was both. Because I still had my point of view ( I am in my body after all), but there were another point of view, higher.
    So, yes, the 'I' thought and at the same time I could observe it as me and not me at the same time.

sigh...I am pretty sure you understand, but I feel miserable trying to explain it haha.

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Lol yes it's hard. In time it will get easyer to talk about it, but it will never truly grasp the whole truth.

You said: "I am in my body after all"

Can you describe exactly what part of your body "you" are in ? ;)

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hehe! the old "within becomes without" trick. Nice one. ;)

12. MetaCognition

MetaCognition Member

This one made me laugh hard. Nice Edwin, very nice.

13. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

What I mean is; as long as I am the body, I will have a point of view I guess. :p

14. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hey, that's weird...

Just a few posts ago you said the exact opposite...
    You said that in your meditation you observed your thoughts, not that you thought them yourself.
    Now you say that you have a point of view, but isn't that point of view also a thought arising ? And who is that " I " that claims to have a point of view if you are observing that point of view ? :p

Also I noticed that you say that you are the body.
    But do you observe your body and it's feelings of pain, pressure, hot and cold ?
    Do you feel the cold, or do you observe the body experiencing cold ?

Just messing with your mind :rolleyes:

ps if you get sick of me or my questions, just tell me, and I will shut up again
    pps if however you think about this some more, you might be in for quite a ride :)

15. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

Lol! well you really want to make my mind out of control?! Good thing for me...

And let me a chance, I am French after all...oh yeah, excuses again. You know what is funny? The 3 last days I saw at least one guy with ental illness and I can't stop thinking that we manifest everything in our life from our state of beging. For me it means; your mind is sick. Not, like those people, but you know when you try to answer a question and in fact, the question is wrong.
    My mind is sick because I want so much to have control on it. Understand is not the solution. I should be in peace with it.

thank you for your widsom

16. Edwin

Edwin Member

Don't worry, I don't mean to trap you in words. My French sucks as I haven't studied it in school for at least 20 years now. English comes more naturally to me. But I know how difficult it is to learn English when you were raised in the French language.

But anyway, I wasn't trapping your words to improve your English ;), but rather to help you see more clearly what's going on in your head.

Quote from "The peaceful warrior":
    "You are out of your mind"
    "Yes, and it took me a lifetime to do that"

Eckhart Tolle describes all that noise and chatter in our mind as "the thinking disease" in his book "The power of Now". Quite right.

Think of it like this: The mind is producing thoughts on it's own all day. You are the one observing them, and when observing them, you have a choice to act upon them or not.
    But whatever happens, when a thought says: " I should not do this or that " or " I am doing this or that ", NEVER assume that that I-thought is you.
    You are the one who notices the thought when it comes up.

It would be the same to see a sentence written on a wall, and automatically assume that the sentence is made by you, written for you alone, and is always right.

While in fact it could be a complete goofball who wrote the sentence on the wall.

But since you are observing the wall, and the sentence is not formed in your head, you know that this is true.

But as soon as the sentence comes up in your head, you automatically think that you made the thought, and that the thought is for you alone, and that the thought is always right.
    But in essence, you are still observing a sentence on the wall, just inside your head.
    The real You is observing the thought, and the thought is only claiming to be you.

17. Prasanam

Prasanam Member

That I understand :)

Thank you

My master used to say; if you can observe your body, you are not the body. If you can observe your mind, you are not your mind. If you can observe your emotion, you are not your emotion. So what are you? You are the thing that observe; the soul.
    And after taht we could spend one hour to explain us that our soul is the body. The soul is the mind and the soul is the emotion...