1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

First meditation experience

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by LeRoyce, May 22, 2014.

1. LeRoyce

LeRoyce Member

So, today I had my first taste of meditation, to be used to treat depression and anxiety over medication. My psychologist taught and told me about "guided meditation", and then we tested it out, as such.

The whole experience is sort of hazy, but I remember around the first two minutes (I'm not sure whether I fell asleep) But after these two minutes I felt my mind go blank, and what felt like bombs of happiness exploding inside of me, and I had to suppress the urge to smile in delight. But then for some reason I snapped out of it, and just had a very lucid thought of a particularly bad memory, and broke down. Can anybody please explain this to me?
    Thanks,
    LR

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi LeRoyce and welcome to the community :)

the guided meditation you did with your psychologist may have incorporated other methods also, e.g. hypnosis etc. I feel that you will find the best answers in this particular instance from your psychologist.

Please feel free to look around the community and you may like to read through the "Principles of Meditation and Entrainment" Here's the link:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Please let us know how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

As Polly says, it sounds as though your guided meditation was almost a hypnotherapy session, and to be honest, guided meditations are similar to one method of inducing hypnosis which is to guide a person into deeper states. With meditation you would generally be completely aware of everything and not likely to come out of it not remembering things. That is likely to only happen if you fell asleep (which is common if you're new to these and the chance for your body to relax finally hits you) or if it was hypnosis and the suggestion was not to remember what happened.

The fact that you say that after the two minutes you felt your mind go blank (you were aware of this happening ;) ) and you felt 'bombs of happiness' kind of sounds to me like you just reached a deep state of relaxation and meditation and finally let go of things that you were holding in mind that bothered you. As is common in these situations you become aware of the utter sense of awareness, try and observe it and consider it, and when you do this you re-awaken the discursive mind which disrupts the state and brings you back out. The nature of the thought you observed when you snapped out of it is likely some deep rooted issue, and that's ok, it's good to recognise these things even if they make you cry or feel bad at the time (it's common for relaxed states, meditation and other practices to bring up deep seated emotions); you should then consider it as an opportunity to accept that that issue is there and consider how you are going to deal with it. e.g. if it's a bad memory of something that happened in the past, but which is no longer happening in the present day, then you can choose (only you can do that, nobody else can do it for you) to let that memory be something that is in the past, and not let it be a part of your present. That doesn't mean you're going to forget the memory, but your choice is to recognise that it's not something in the present moment, and not something that needs to present an issue any more... kind of like accepting it happened and you can't change the past, so getting yourself back to the present moment and dealing with what matters Now! ;)

Hugs

Giles