1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Finding Awareness

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Karmoh, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Last year a friend of mine passed on. He was with me for 50 years. After watching him go through long depressions, fight illness, deep and dark mood swings. He was lost, but our love was deep. We were exactly the same, but complete opposites.

As younger men we were of one mind, full of fighting spirit, always scheming to better our love lives, trying the latest fashions, always looking for the quick fix, the fast buck.

But over the years, our ideas about life began to diverge. While he continued to be absorbed with his quest for the next phase of the plan, forever trying to find the perfect balance between Love, work and money. I discovered that I had become a slave to life, thinking was all there was. We remained virtual alter egos, but each with different reasons for being. His was to achieve social greatness, mine to unlock my inner self.

Over the years we struggled to find common ground in our way of life, under the influence of daily life we would discuss deep issues eventually leading to life itself. We agonized and argued over which approach was best. Always the restricted fighter, he believed that the purpose of life’s journey was to arrive at one’s destination, for him, the journey was comprised of thousands of hours converted into money

We argued that there was an alternative, that the journey’s importance was not how it compared to the past or the future, but rather the quality of each step along the way.

My friend devoted much of his life to avoiding adversity, seeking always to find an perfect formula for personal fulfillment and success. Depression, fatigue and pain were enemies to be out-smarted in order to accomplish his goals.

In his heart, things weren’t right, but he was afraid to admit it, and was afraid to leave behind his life’s philosophy, even though it took an ever-increasing toll on his physical and mental health. I worried about him, about us. But, our love was deep.

The end came quietly on a quiet dawn after we shared a long meditation. I felt tired but renewed at the end. He had been unusually quiet and I was encouraged because he seemed more at peace than before. It happened as we lounged together over a casual breakfast, as the sun moved on its relentless journey, casting out the shadows, bringing a smile to the approaching day. No one called an ambulance. He just sighed and slipped away, leaving with the fresh new dawn. There was stillness and the stillness knew we were both better for it because, you see, he was also me.
    _________

[FONT=&quot]Awareness is a moment, a fleeting glimpse.

Peace :)
    [/FONT]

2. olmate

olmate Member

Today the schedule was full. Rushing from one meeting in the City to another. It was on the way to the third for the morning that unexpectedly a glimpse of the river caught the eye. It bekoned so a few moments were taken on the riverwalk - despite the protestations of the electronic diary.

Peering into the river, there was much activity - eddies, currents, objects floating by, moments of calm, then turbulance. Lifting the gaze a little the eye was drawn to its movement around a nearby bend. Quiet decended.

The mass of life energy was purposefuly, Gracefully and with ease making its way to its destination and at the same time back to its source.

The sense from the Quiet was "There is no end. There is no beginning."

The quiet lifted.

Thanks for your post, as always, Karmoh.

Olmate

3. M L K

M L K Member

Just beautiful. Thanks to both of you, Karmoh and Olmate.

4. writingupastorm

writingupastorm Member

I agree. Beautiful.