1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Felt Really Bored????

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by BS, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BS

BS Member

hi all, hope you are all having a good day :)

i have a question i would like to put out to the forum for your feedback and advice please.

I have been doing the fast track meditation, and really have been enjoying it. getting on with it really well, also knowing that i wasn't quite doing it correctly before as i was just putting on the headphones and letting lifeflow do all the work. at no point was i concentrating on my breathing, nor was i doing a mantra.

any way last night i decided that i would give it a go with my life flow cd playing out of speakers....... it was really weird, for the first time i found myself getting really bored and willing the cd to end??? i did see it through to the end, but to be honest it was a relief when i got there. i had to pull my mantra back quite a few times as my mind wandered through the boredom. im also not sure about my mantra, and may have to look to change it but dont know what to change it too?? im doing the oooummmm one, if that makes sense to any one??!! :D

so can so one tell me why i would feel so bored, when so far i have been fine? i want to see this through, but feel concerned that i will let it get the better of me??

a lot of questions i know, but your help as always is really appreciated.

also i love doing the 7 mins gratitude at the end, really brings a smile on my face and a song in my heart. can i download the 7 min music anywhere to put on my ipod??

love and hugs to all :):):)

xx

2. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Hi BS (what a handle there buddy),
    I am curious as to what our much more learned people on PM will respond to you regarding your issues but as per the gratitude download I found one link included on the CD burn FAQ.

How To Burn LifeFlow® And Gratitude Music To CD

shine on :) :)

jim

3. BS

BS Member

haha, i didnt name myself, they gave it to me when i joined....:)

my real name is Bridgett.

but yes, i cant wait to hear back too, mainly to see if it is a process we all go through, or what really?

take care

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Bridgett :)

Yes, boredom is one of the things that can happen during meditation.
    There is no cure. It is something that happens inside of you.
    Just like all other emotions ( except love ) this feeling is generated by a thought.
    In this case the thought " I am bored ".

With meditation you learn to allow all thoughts to come up and pass like clouds pass in the sky. If you allow the thought " I am bored " to pass by, and not believe it to be true, the moment it is gone, so is the feeling of being bored.

And if you manage to do this also in daily life, you are very close to enlightenment ;)

If you have trouble letting this thought go, why not replace it with another thought like " I am happy " or " I am patient ". The body will react to the thought anyway, because it doesn't know the difference between a "generated thought" and a spontanious one.
    And then let that thought pass by too :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. BS

BS Member

thank you Edwin, i should have thought of that my self!! still its all new at the moment so will just have to bear with me ;)

i do this with thoughts in the day, if a negative one fights its way in i boot it out with a positive one....... im on the up :D

i did it again last night, but this time i didnt allow myself to think im bored, but this time fell asleep :eek:

i know in time, i will have mastered it, as well as my life!!

can you suggest any other mantras Edwin please, or can you just say quotes like 'i am happy' etc??

can i ask what you use? am i allowed to do that, or is it meditation etiquette not to ask :confused:

thanks and speak soon x

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

For people who learn things like Transcendental Meditation they are given a mantra and told it is personal to them and not to reveal it to anyone else, however, in blunt terms, that is borrocks. The TM organisation uses (at the last count as far as I know) 16 different mantras and these are given to new meditators based on the age of the person at the time they learn meditation.

The type of meditation I learnt is the same as TM, but without any of the ceremony around it. My mantra too was given as being personal to me, but I know it's the same as I would have been given had I learnt TM.

When the Maharishi brought TM to the West, there were only two mantras he gave out, one for males and one for females, however, he also said that it did not matter what the mantra was that you used and you could pick anything you wanted; but as typical with a lot of things, that TM movement changed things over the years.

So, it doesn't really matter what mantra you choose and it probably isn't beneficial to know what other people are using even if they aren't keeping it "secret".

I would recommend that you choose something that doesn't bring up any thoughts of feelings in you. So saying "i am happy" is likely to bring up thoughts and feelings for you and is perhaps best avoided.

If you ignore the fact that the person who authored the following website is anti-TM, then he has helpfully provided a list of the TM mantras...

The TM Techniques

I believe that these mantras are the names of deities from Hindu (Sanatana Dharma) philosophy which is based around the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita (a.k.a. Advaita - the philosophy of wisdom).

Using such a mantra will give you something you can repeat without it bringing up thoughts or preconceived ideas or emotions. My mantra is in that list. ;)

I have heard that using "Om" is not appropriate as it is "dissolving", whatever that means, but I have yet to research into that myself and understand where they were coming from. My current understanding of "Om" is that it is the sound of creation (and I don't mean from a creationist point of view as I don't believe in that). Thanks for your question as it's now reminded me to look into that a bit more.... *trundles off to do some research...*

Hugs

Giles

7. BS

BS Member

thanks giles, as ever, very informative :):):)

and yes truddles tooooo..........now i have more research to do ;)

take care and hugs back x

8. ntvinh986

ntvinh986 Member

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
  9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi ntvinh986 and welcome to the community.

Of course you are warmly welcome. There's no reason for anybody not to be welcome here. :)

Hugs

Giles