1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Feel im loosing 'faith'

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by JCG, May 4, 2010.

1. echickadee

echickadee Member

Maybe I should explain with a little more detail.... At 17 I was suicidal, by 18 I had a baby and by 21 while struggling through university was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, spent many years heavily medicated and then came to find a new treatment that gave back to me a connection to the world I thought I would never experience... these were among the times in my life where I have looked around and wondered: 'why are we here?' 'what is the purpose?' 'what else is there?' and 'why keep going?' I wasn't raised with any exposure to religous or spiritual beliefs and the only thing I have managed to figure out for myself so far is this:... I don't know much about anything...lol... but working on meditation does help my anxiety and stablizes my mood... it has brought me patience and helped me be more aware of the little things that are so easy to overlook...like how good it feels to notice the first buds of spring on the trees.. or seeing the ants through my nephew's eyes as we watch them at the park for over an hour... sometimes I feel like I see the 'dot' on the map and know exactly where I am and the signs are showing me exactly where I am going and other times like I do now, I feel like someone has started a game of pin the tail on the donkey and they put the blind fold on and spun me around and now I am completely confused... and irritable... maybe I have a misperception of what JCG meant ... and therefore have missed the entire point of this thread... sometimes I feel like I am just missing the message like it is in my grasp but I'm not quite there....

2. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Have you considered as I suggested to JCG, that perhaps you're using the wrong tool for the job? You may be looking for something using the tools of the mind; logic, reason, comparative experience, evaluation, and so forth, all of which are still within the domain of energy and form, when in fact what you're searching for lies completely outside their domain? Our whole world has been based almost exclusively on tools of the mind so it's little wonder we employ them without conscious awareness there could be anything else.

The questions we ask determine the forms that any answer to those questions will take. Ask what the square root of 4 is and I will answer it is the number 2. Why did I answer it was 2, and not that it was an elephant? Because the form of your question dictated what the form of my answer would be, and when you asked your question it's form also determined what the nature of the answers you were looking for would be. What if the absolute, metaphysically correct answer to your question is in fact, the color blue? You say, "Blue? What has the color blue got to do with the square root of 4?" I don't know, but what if the true answer really is blue? Will you ever discover that answer? Would you even ask your question and then begin looking around at various colors as being possibly the answer to your question?

No, you won't. How come? Because in your existing paradigm what you asked is a mathematical question. That is its form. As far as you are concerned its correct solution must therefore be a mathematical answer in form. You would not even consider other forms such as colors as possible correct answers, and if one was suggested to you almost certainly you would dismiss it without giving it another thought as simply the ravings of a loon.

Perhaps it is. And perhaps blue is just as correct as the number 2. We just don't see it because we are so immersed in our current paradigm we cannot even fathom there may be other approaches that are equally or even more correct. When we ask questions we should always keep in mind that we are unintentionally locking ourselves into looking only for certain types of answers just by the form we give to the question.

The question posed to us by that little colored dot is one which cannot be answered as form or energy. It's outside of those things. Yet we keep approaching it as if we'll arrive at the answer if we could only put the pieces together. So long as that's our approach we should count on continued frustration.

"Is there nothing more to Life than this?"

Perhaps the form of your question is predisposing you to look for an answer in a form where no such answer exists. In that case you need to find a different way to form your question.

3. John

John Member

I assume that the "extra dimention " being "sought " and indirectly referred to is the spiritual link and relationship with God which comes through "faith' which is personal and non tangeable.Faith is defined as "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" . We need to ensure that our faith is correctly focussed ."By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what is visible"

4. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

One who follows the Christian tradition might very well quote the thoughts of St. Paul as a framework for their own beliefs, certainly. Even in this there is a danger of holding to those words dogmatically, as if they were the truth itself rather than St. Paul's best attempt to approximate the truth as he experienced it using language. St. Paul himself was imminently aware of this danger, thus he told those early followers of Christ at Corinth that our standard paradigm for approaching the truth is at best only to see "through a glass, darkly."

The object is not to copy the words of St. Paul and consider the task done. Anyone can copy another without really relating to what that author had personally experienced. The true objective is to get into that place that St. Paul experienced, and to experience it for ourselves. When we return we may then communicate this experience to others using words similar to those of St. Paul, or we may, according to our own unique nature, choose other words that feel to us more in keeping with the essence of our own personal experience.

This doesn't typically happen for most of us until we reach one of those crisis points that I've described as seeing one of the little colored dots. Until a dot presents itself its generally the rule that we are so complacent that we don't even recognize that our lives have been largely just a parroting of the words, experiences, beliefs and values that others have expressed. The dot serves to shake us out of complacency and set us on our own path to personal experience and growth if we take up its challenge and don't push it back down into silence because it makes us uncomfortable.

5. M L K

M L K Member

Ta-tsu-wa, I'd like to say thanks as well. That was beautifully expressed.
    All best, Margaret