1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Falling Asleep Big Time!!

Discussion in 'Having Problems?' started by John M, Jun 22, 2012.

1. John M

John M Member

Hi, I've unsuccessfully been trying to meditate over the last few years, the problem being falling asleep. I am not usually able to sleep easily and have always suffered from poor sleep and insomnia. When I try to meditate however, it's like someone just pressed the 'SLEEP' button. I listened to the discover meditation CD 1 & 2 and almost fell off of my chair 2 or 3 times in as many minutes, one time I nearly went crashing forward onto my laptop. It really is disheartening. Also, I feel tired for a couple of hours afterwards.

I recently went on a Vipassana 10 day silent meditation retreat and spent the whole time fighting desperately to stay awake and don't really feel like I got anywhere.

I'm sure someone else must have experienced the same at some point so please help if you can.

with my deepest thanks,

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi John and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

That's interesting really.

Perhaps the obvious thing to recognise is that the meditation must be doing something for you, as you normally have trouble sleeping, but meditation is allowing you to do that.

Have you considered using meditation when you go to bed, to allow you to get some good sleep and catch up on what you are obviously in need of. Along with that stick with a couple of short meditation sessions a day, even if you do feel your falling asleep, and I think you'll find over time things will start to improve.

Hugs

Giles