1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

eckhart tolle silent evening

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by headless hoppo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. GilesC

GilesC Member

Edwin,

Your explanation was wonderfully simple and clear.

Not wanting to go too far off topic, but, on the topic of religions and what is written in the bible, this is what I have in my knowledge...

Firstly, may I say, no offence is intended by any of the following.

Wisdom.
    This has been developed over many millenia of humankind, through study of life and recognition of what we call the true Self (what Edwin is referring to as God in his post), and no doubt, through testing to see what is truth and what is not truth (what is right and wrong perhaps?). This wisdom has been passed down through many generations and was eventually (when writing came about) written down in scriptures. These scriptures are now known as the ancient scriptures of the Upani
    ṣads (a.k.a. Upanishads). These scriptures were written in sanskrit, one of the earliest scripts known.

Over time, these scriptures have been interpreted by various cultures and the wisdom re-written into the language of those cultures, and from these wise teachings human society, without true knowledge of the wisdom has abused the teachings in order to gain control over fellow humans, creating dualistic views, hierarchy of self-importance and mis-representing the teachings, often for their own gain. These are the religions that were born from the wisdom, but seldom understand or teach the wisdom.

If we read a translation of the Upanishads we can read the similarity of the teachings and stories that are given in religious texts and teachings of the Christian Bible, the Koran, Buddhist philosophy, Hindu philosophy (Sanatana Dharma) and many of the other religions or philosophies. This then begs the questions... Why do each of these interpretations claim to be the truth, claim to need to be taken literally and claim that they are the "one true religion" over others? Why do texts, supposedly for the same religion, differ so much in content and interpretation? Why do these text need to be re-written or given "New" editions?

The truth is that all the major (ancient based) religions contain the same wise teachings and there is no need for conflict between them, except that people let their ego, greed and dualistic selves get in the way, thus changing the texts for their own purpose and often losing the wisdom contained within. The teachings are not meant to be taken literally as some religions do, especially considering the interpretations, re-interpretations, language variations and the context of the modern day against the ancient times.

When text such as "mankind was made in the image of God" is presented to us, this is not necessarily saying that God and ourselves are seperate things and this external entity called God creates us as sperate entities. If we trace it back to the ancient wisdom teachings, this idea of God and Us as seperate has come about through the mis-interpretations and translations of text etc. as described above. It's a very vast area to understand and not something that could be simply described here, albeit to say that the general wisdom of it all is to suggest that God and our Self is one and the same thing, and the wisdom allows us to shed away the layers of duality, the attachment that creates ego, the emotions that prevent us from being present, and thus allows us to be present, and simply know the truth without the mind getting in the way. God is not something that is "within us" or something we are "within", and we are not being in the presence of God, but simply Being as God.

Practices such as (Transcendental) Meditation are rooted back in the ancient wisdom teachings, as well as much of the eastern philosophical teachings that are still to be found today, in some places; those places that offer to teach and simply ask that you try it out for yourself and discover your own truth, rather than dictate what you should believe.

Of course, for those who have been brought up with Religion (I was when younger, but the lack of truth in the "organisation" of it showed through and I found my own way instead), it can be seen as so "wrong" to talk of their religion as being false in some way or being comparible to other religions. That is fine, as each person is entitled to their own beliefs and societal way of life, and each will find their own way to the truth eventually.

The simplest way for any person, of any religious belief (or no belief) to understand the wise teachings, is to actually put them into practice themselves and see what happens and, of course, to discuss it with other people to gain differing views.

Hugs

Giles

2. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

Ditto that!

Giles, from what I am concerned, you can consider yourself a gift from God to human kind - your posts are just enlightened, every single one of them. I do appreciate you taking the time to write them and share your ideas with us, I truly do!

Cheers,

CB

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Lovely post Giles ! :)

Thanks for your post Pan ;-)

Enough to let sink in !

4. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

In wandering around various New Age sites of various kinds, I have repeatedly seen people say: "I am God" or "We are God". But I have never ever seen anyone say: "My husband is God."
    :)

5. oneflewover

oneflewover Member

No difference absolutely.....

This thread really gets to the core of what seems to be confounding the world at this time the inability to cooperate and tolerate. If we could perhaps see each other in the way Edwin and Giles have so clearly outlined, conflict would reduce greatly and the planet and ourselves may have a greater chance of survival. However some think that if it doesent, thats no big deal as consciousness is never created nor destroyed and is probably alive and well in another part of this mystery that is the Universe. Sadly there are also those who believe through the teachings they have received that they are the only true religion and others must be destroyed in one way or another to bring about the fulfillment of these teachings. Each has its own version of how that end might come about but essentially they are Gods chosen ones and they will survive.

But coming back to Earth and Now :) The essential teachings that have been referred to here are still very much alive and i believe are in the ascendancy. Zen in Buddhism, Advaita in Hinduism, Sufism in Islam, Kabbalah in Judaism and Gnosticism in Christianity.

A very readable but perhaps a challenging book to some on this subject is by Timothy Freke called the Laughing Jesus and also The Gospel of The Second Coming both very well researched it seems.

Thanks for your honesty Charlie in your response to Headless Hoppos experience of Tolle and Fillys reference to Mooji .......look what youve been and gone and done ;)

Love Graham _/\_

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009