1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

eckhart tolle silent evening

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by headless hoppo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. headless hoppo

headless hoppo Member

im fairly new to this site.ive noticed you have an eckhart forum where you can watch vids and discuss them.thats great.im a fan.i went to a silent evening last night.i also went last month.nr stourbridge.i was wondering if anyone else has been to any of these evenings,and what they thought of it.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

I haven't been to any such evenings, but would be interested to hear what goes on at them if you'd care to share. :)

p.s. one of my Reiki masters lives in Stourbridge. small world. hehe!

Hugs

Giles

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Id love to visit one of his evenings...those few thousands km cant stop me!! *gg*

4. headless hoppo

headless hoppo Member

posts keep failing.testing testing..

5. headless hoppo

headless hoppo Member

hi giles:) hi panthau:)

eckhart evenings are arranged and run by like minded people who are interested in spending time together in stillness.to find your local groups:
    eckharttollecontactsuk.org/groupfinder.html
    anyone can host an evening.as long as your happy inviting people into your home.on arrival you may meditate for half an hour.then your host may put one of eckharts dvds on for 10 mins or read from one of his books.then you may meditate for another half hour.it doesnt have to be formal meditation.you can just sit in the silent stillness.the evening is about silence.introductions should be kept to a minimum as this stimulates thought.if you contact the host you can enquire how he/she intends to run the evening.at first i found it a little strange being used to having a list of dialog ready to take into a social situation,and chatting away in order to feel comfortable.but you soon settle down when you realise your all there for the same thing.sitting in presence with other people becomes collective presence and is beneficial to evreyone involved.i recommend it:)

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

Sounds interesting :)

Btw, its eckharttollecontactsuk.org/Groupfinder.html (upper case... eventually a linux server :) ).

Pan

7. filly33

filly33 Member

I love Eckhart's teachings. They carry great meaning, but I find you can get easily lost in his words, in the ideas he carries about body feelings and awakening. I constantly missed what he was pointing to.

Recently, while looking for a good description of what enlightenment is, I fell onto Mooji's teachings, which were very, very familiar. If you are lost in ideas, or in questions that yield no answers, or in most cases, wrong answers ;), then you should check this video out, and expand from there.

YouTube - Forget about 'Enlightenment' - Satsang with Mooji

Cheers and peace.

8. Panthau

Panthau Member

LOL

Thanks a lot filly, that made my day. I love his way to express things and every single word of him hits my inner truth.

Pan

9. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

I am the usual idiot here, but after having watched, with interest, the video, I must conclude I have no idea what he is talking about. My own limitation, I know...

10. headless hoppo

headless hoppo Member

hi filly hi charlie:)
    i know what you mean about struggling with the 'inner body' stuff eckhart points to filly.i also struggle with this. i also have a rather heavy 'pain body' that im able to watch,and i get relief from that.which i suppose in a way 'is' my inner body.i just struggle sometimes to feel the 'aliveness' he talks of inside.but ive found a lot of his other teachings very useful.ive learnt not to be to focused on any one teaching.i try to sample as many teachings as i can.i keep an open mind.ive learnt to just take what i need from a teaching.what might be right for one person might not be right for another.i looked at the mooji link.his good.i utubed it and found some more of his stuff.i dont know if your familiar with the late douglas harding,and his work with the 'headless way'.it may seem a little strange at first,but if you want a direct teaching,it dosent get much more direct than that!google 'headless way'.try the first pointing experiment...:)

it will come charlie.your in the right place;)

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hehehe don't worry Charlie. It is quite radical. Get ready for a monsterpost:

I will give a description of his teachings, just to give you a basic concept of what it is about.

the concept of Self-inquiry:

Three "body's"

According to those who are enlightened, your basic build-up is like this:

1. The outer body.
    2. The inner body.
    3. The self

1: The Outer body:
    Your physical body. The carrier of you. Comes with hands and feet usually.

2. The inner body.
    Not really a body. Not physical. It is made out of thoughts and emotions. It covers all emotions that are linked to the idea that I am seperate of you, we are different than you, anything that promotes a dualistic view of the world, like Jealousy, anger, fun, you name it. Usually referred to as "ego" or when split up by Eckhart Tolle it is a combination of ego and painbody.

3. The Self.
    The divine source of you, pure consciousness, pure Love.
    If you don't understand what I mean, look a baby in the eye's. It has no inner body yet, and radiates pure love, is pure consciousness, but lacks awareness as of yet.

As we grow up, we first become aware of body 1, the physical body.
    We think that this is who we are, no more, that's it.

As we grow older, we develop body 2, the inner body.
    With this comes the believe that we are seperate of the others, that at the end of our skin, we end, and the world starts. I am seperate from you.
    With that comes the thought that you "have to take care of nr 1".
    With some this is so extreme that they are prepared to steal from others, or even kill, to gain for themselves.
    Most people are convinced that this is who they are.

However, this self-image, as the words so obviously say by themselves, is just an image you have of yourself. This image is based on thoughts and beliefs. Thoughts are temporary, they come up, they disappear. Just like all other things in the world, they are not constant. Thank goodness btw, because we can't focus on anything else when a thought wouldn't disappear again.
    So, recognising that our self-image will change with every thought, it can never fully cover who we really are. It is a false self-image.
    Yet we all have to live with it. We even think it is normal to "think bad of ourselves", or to be "happy with ourselves".
    Yet this self we are talking about does not really exist, now does it ?
    What does exist ?

That is the third one, the Self.

This is pure consiousness, and when we are in consiousness awareness, being fully aware of our concious self, we recognise the second body, the inner body with all it's chatter to be fake.
    And this is the biggest problem we make for ourselves: How to reach the Self.

This is what Eckhart Tolle and Mooji are trying to do.
    Through words, that can merely be like roadsigns pointing towards the endgoal, they are trying to make you aware of the fact that no matter what you are thinking, what is going on in your head, that constant factor, consiousness or Self is ALWAYS present underneath it all.
    When you completely see this, the second body ( or your belief in it ) will disappear and fall apart. This is commonly known as "awakening" or sometimes referred to as "enlightenment". Personally I prefer awakening, because enlightenment is the total annihilation of all that used to be the person "me", so that I see that I am not a person, just pure conciousness, or that is how I see it anyway.

Awakening is recognising the thoughts trying to be Self, but the thoughts simply appear in conciousness, just like all other things that are not constant.
    The thoughts however still come. You have to practice constant awareness seeing through all the tricks of the mind that want to suck you back into believing that you are a person.

Monk: " What is mind ? "
    Master: " Mind "
    Monk: " I don't understand "
    Master: " Neither do I "

Zen mondo

Awakening comes when you try to explore the Self, to find out where it is, what shape it has. This is what Mooji was talking about.
    You find out that since conciousness or Self has no shape, it has no size, it is endless. Space. If it is endless, it doesn't stop at the body. It doesn't stop at other people. But if their Self is endless, and so is mine... isn't that impossible ? How can there be 2 endless beings ? There can only be one endless being. For conveniance let's call this entity God. That means that all things come from and are part of God. Just like Yin and Yang appear seperate, but are part of the same circle, we all are seperate manifestations of one and the same God. Through us, God is playing with its Self you might say ;)
    Maybe now you understand a little bit better what the Bible meant when it said:
    We are all created in God's image.
    We are not created as little Gods, we are all one God, or all of us exist within God.

So, All that I am doing to someone else, I am doing to myself.
    So if I kick a person, I am kicking myself. And if I think I deserve it, I will give him another kick :p

Now there is a very big chance that you still don't understand what I am talking about.
    That's ok. This doesn't work for everybody. If this is so, please take a serious look at the posts made by Pollyanna in the Law of Attraction section of the forum. This may suit your belief system better than the one I just tried to explain to you.

Hope I have been of help :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  12. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

First of all, million thanks for having taken the time to write such a great post!

I am with you for the first part, that makes a lot of sense to me. You just lose me (but that's because of my religious believes) when you get into the "we are all one God". Being Christian, that's a big clash with my fundamental believes: while it is true that we are created "in God's image", this does not imply that "we are God" - quite the opposite, actually... But I fully understand where you are coming from!

Thanks again,

CB

13. Panthau

Panthau Member

Who believes in Gods anyway? Werent they just created to get rid of your own resposibilitys?

14. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

I do! But I will stop here, because I don't want to turn this into a flame war ;)

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

I may have mis-written it, or it came across the wrong way.
    It was not my intention to change your view on your religion, so sorry about that.

I didn't mean to say or bring across that we are Gods...

Because I don't want to start a conversation that you might feel uncomfortable with, I won't go into it further. However I think our views don't differ that much. I would love to offer you my view on parts of the Bible if you are interested tho. Not to change your view, but to express mine.

All I want to give you is my view of God: In Christianity, God and the human race are supposed to be seperate. We are down here, and God is up there.
    I wonder if this view of what God is supposed to do, where God is supposed to be or not be is the view of God or the view of those who wrote the Bible.

“ God does not play dice with the universe. — Albert Einstein ”
    “ Einstein, stop telling God what to do. — Niels Bohr ”

16. Edwin

Edwin Member

Pan, you are free to express whatever view you have in this forum, as long as it doesn't offend people. I think ( in fact I know ) you never meant to hurt anyone's feeling with your post, but if you would have formulated it slightly differently, it would have come across a tad less agressive.;)

Now in answer to your question:

I quite disagree :rolleyes: Religion is a belief system, and that is the problem. I don't want to believe, I want to find out for myself.
    Having experienced the Divine within, I am certain that God exists. Just not in the way that the current belief systems want us to believe.

17. filly33

filly33 Member

U.G. said something interesting. There is no enlightenment.

Do I understand this? Well, enlightenment is just an idea, and when I chase ideas I'm just led to some place that I don't fully understand. I apply good feelings to the unconditioned state and thus confuse body feelings with a state of pure being. Or, on the other side, I confuse bad feelings with being lost, and then the hunt continues. There is no enlightenment because there is no state one can describe to another that the other can understand; no way to pass that knowledge. That's why we want more food for thought. We see that this other person isn't burdened by thought like we are and so chase the route that they took.

He also said something else that was interesting. Throw away the teaching. Teaching implies knowledge, implies that there is something you have to do or learn to get where you want to be. But enlightenment is just an idea, so how can I get there, and how can I possibly know what its gonna be like when I get there.

18. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown Member

Edwin, no offense taken, quite the contrary! I am absolutely open (= I love) to talk about God, and one of the reasons I meditate is to improve my spirituality. Also, I am not offended at all by different opinions, I would be very stupid if I did that!

I think we know very little about "real" Christianity (myself in the first place), and we have a lot of ideas which are not necessarily the right ones. For example, I would challenge your statement that such a separation is part of Christianity ("Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and dine with him and he with Me" - can you imagine more union than this? :p )

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks Charlie :)

I could make another monsterpost, or I could give you a link to a website, where my viewpoints are very clearly explained by (sailor) Bob Adamson:

Chapter 2

Just read it with an open mind, and feel free to disagree ;)

20. Panthau

Panthau Member

Im the wrong person for a flame war Charlie... but i know that this is fun for some people *gg*

Of course it wasnt meant in a negative way, this slight bit of provocation in my sentence was quite consciously, because i wanted you to explain your believe system. In fact, not an optimal way - i just could have asked *lol* :)

Edwin, i see your point. My point with the responsibility is probably one out of several reasons why humans created gods in their mind.

I believe (yes, i still do believe, because i didnt "experienced" it yet) that that what we call gods, is just a developed form of consciousness. The same what "we" are to children and animals.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009