1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Dream Mask

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Wow, I remember when these things were shown on TV many, many years ago.

I always wanted to give one a go, but have never done so. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has.

:)

Hugs

Giles

3. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Pan

Personal opinion here, Pan, since you asked for opinions. You're in the beginning stages of learning meditation and have reported some significant setbacks and challenges in this learning process. You've also begun to make a bit of progress.

Stick with your meditation practice until you become very proficient with it. Mixing in other things right now (and you've expressed interest in a number of them in various posts such as OBE, lucid dreaming, etc.,) is simply muddying the waters of your meditation practice.

There's a saying, "All emphasis is no emphasis," meaning, if you try to focus on too many things you're not really focusing on anything. Meditation will bring growth to you in many areas of your life and is probably the single best tool you have at your disposal for personal growth. These other sideline curiosities, while interesting, are not essential. They will tend to dilute what you're just beginning to accomplish with your meditation. Try to explore everything and you won't make much progress with anything. All emphasis is no emphasis.

Some of the curiosities that so capture your interest come up occasionally in natural course as offshoots of the practice of meditation. Most meditation teachers will advise you not to get too caught up and attached to them because they divert you away from the greater benefits of meditation. That's excellent advice. If it is prudent not to let these things distract us away from the deeper benefits of meditation when they naturally arise, how much more prudent it is that we don't go out looking for them in advance, at least when we are only in the very earliest stages of learning the art of entering meditation.

You're a guy with a lot of natural curiosity, Pan, and that's a tremendous gift if you remember to pace yourself and not immerse yourself in too many things at once. Did you know that one of the greatest minds in human history had this distraction tendency? Leonardo DaVinci. Most people don't know this but DaVinci had a terrible problem finishing projects. He was a great starter, poor finisher. The vast majority of the works he undertook are unfinished. The reason is because as soon as he began to make progress on one thing, something new would capture his imagination and he was forever running from one thing to the next without devoting himself fully to very many things. DaVinci is a great person to emulate, but try to avoid emulating that particular character trait of his. It doesn't lead to much productivity.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hey there,

Thanks for your advice Ta-tsu-wa. I think i really understand what you mean (kind of feel it, more then logical understand).

Anyway, i "am" doing 100 things at one time. Atm im doing meditation, workout, bodybuilding, having 5 girlfriends at one time, serving my customers and a lot of other small things. Im just about to learn to love me and my life, love the people around me, observe my emotions and all those things that come with meditation. So when i look upon it, from another perspective, id say im in the state of a teenager, finding out what he wants and what he is.
    So i feel fine with what i do, because i need to do it - im satisfying my needs. And i certainly "will" come to that point where i stick with "one" thing - and then get the greater benefits out of it.

So...i understand what you mean, and i understand at what point i am. And im certainly grateful for your and others tips and your caring about others on this forum. Its often like a hint for me, a reminder.

About the dream mask... im just curios. On the other hand, im sure ill get all these things which i want to know through meditation or along with meditation. My impatients doesnt lead me anywhere hehe...just curios :)

Pan

5. DeepMeditation

DeepMeditation Member

I'd like to hear 4rm some whose used it