1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Does the word 'consciousness' point to anything actual?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Kauil, Nov 10, 2010.

1. GilesC

GilesC Member

;)

Hugs

Giles

2. Kauil

Kauil Member

Slipping

At the beginning I was learning about the ego, and figured it would be best to avoid anything I recognized as the ego, and it was good for a while.

Then as I learned about the real problem beneath it all, thinking, that is, I felt a certain freedom, and it was good for a while.

Now, it is often said that to be happy, there's absolutely nothing one needs to do. During the winter holiday, however, I didn't meditate as much as I used to, and I have noticed I great shift back into the old worrying, thinking me.

So it seems there is something one has to do. That something is meditation. Does this go on forever or does the meditation seize once I truly adopt this "not thinking" way of living?

It seems that if I don't regularly clear my mind by meditation, my mind begins to tighten its grasp, no matter the things I thought:)D) I've learned.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

"Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due." William R. Inge

This is true, there is nothing one needs to do. This however includes thinking, and more even, it includes worrying. Most people who read about "doing nothing" think that all that is needed is do nothing all day long and by some magic somehow they become happy. However most couch potatoes are still worrying, take that from me !
    That is what it seems like, however this is an illusion.
    This illusion is cast upon you by the brain.

Until the tricks of the mind are seen through, you will keep falling for them.
    The only way to escape the tricks of the mind, is to completely seperate the feeling of me from the thoughts about me.

You see, thoughts appear into your field of consciousness, and they disappear from them.
    When they are there, they manifest something, a feeling, an urge to act, thoughts are part of creation, and thus can create themselves.
    This is why thoughts are crucial in this world. They can create the life that you want to manifest.
    Once the thought is gone, nothing is left, and a new thought is needed in order to create something.

However, mind resembles a computer.
    It is constantly trying to serve by creating thoughts, finding memories, making connections between one subject and another.
    Just like a computer, mind needs to be triggered in order to act.
    A computer may seem to be programmed to act on its own, but it will not execute any order until the programmer pushes the [Enter] button.
    Same with the mind, only the enter button is less obvious with us human beings.

The trigger for the mind is attention.

Just like with the Law of Attraction, where attention on that which you want to manifest triggers the mind to find a solution in order to reach that goal.
    So, whatever your focus is on, the mind will try to provide thoughts and memories for.

Unfortunately, we tend to focus on whatever appears into our field of consciousness.
    Kind of like when you are driving your car on the highway, and you notice a car by the side of the road with trouble, you have to be careful not to crash into it, as your hands seem to automatically direct your steeringwheel towards that which you are looking for, on which your attention is focused.

And here comes the real tricky part: We are able not only to focus on the world around us, but also on a thought.
    So, when a thought comes up that starts with "What if", you tend to focus your attention on it, especially when the throught triggers fear or anxciousness.
    And then mind will try to find a solution for it, you gave the order for it by giving the thought attention, so don't be mad, be glad it is working properly ;)
    When there is no direct outcome to be found to the problem, but you keep directing your attention to the problem, mind will constantly try to find a solution, but it will keep on looping towards the same outcome: "I can't fix that now"

This is why with meditation, it is needed to focus your attention on a mantra or breath. It tricks your mind to focus not on the next upcoming throught, but on the mantra that you repeat every time.
    By directing your attention away from the worries, mind will stop looping, and your mind will get a break.
    And with no more thoughts being produced, there is nothing to direct your attention away from the inner peace and happiness that everybody has.

So, enlightenment in a way is nothing more than a 24/7 meditation.

If you remember, earlyer in this post I said this:
    "Until the tricks of the mind are seen through, you will keep falling for them.
    The only way to escape the tricks of the mind, is to completely seperate the feeling of me from the thoughts about me."

All thoughts are produced by mind, and the thoughts that come up are viewed by you.
    So, you are seperate from the thoughts. The thoughts are not made by you, they are made by the mind, and observed by you.

So, when the thought comes up "I should not have done that", is the "I' in that sentence made by mind, or by you ?
    If you choose not to believe that you are the "I" in that thought, will you still focus your attention on that thought ?

4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Thank you for this pointer Edwin :)

Over the last month or so, I have been aware that I am meditating throughout the day, just a moment here and a moment there. It is at these times I have had mini realisations that thoughts are thoughts, emotions are emotions and my story is conjured.
    The mind is truly a great trickster, but as an aging master illusionist, mine is slowly losing its touch, as I find myself resting in awareness throughout the day his tricks are getting tired and boring. Just noticing my breath and relaxing in to awareness just for a second or two extends my morning sitting all day.

My days are still full of the same stuff, work, family, exercise etc. However, the realisation that I do not have to do anything but be here and I will never be anywhere else is liberating.

Peace:)

5. Erithria

Erithria New Member

I just want to say that I really found this discussion useful as I have been worrying trying to find where my consciousness is located in my body this past few days. This search or worry got even frantic few days ago after I had a spiritual discussion with someone and this person was saying that her consciousness was stuck in her collar bone and she was overwhelmed with grief just talking about it. Then I kept on listening as in a way it sounded like she was talking exactly my own thoughts and worries. And so she continues by saying that she couldn’t let go of her ‘loss/grieving’ I forgot exact term but something within that line. I kept on listening as I sensed that this person seemed very spiritual and I think she expressed herself openly because she sensed her own pain and worry in me.
    Now thanks to your discussion I can see beyond my brief illusion and just ’be’.

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Erithrea and welcome to Project Meditation.

I'm glad you found the discussion useful.

It sounds as though you spiritual friend has some issues she needs to sort out for herself, but that's her issues, not yours.

Hugs

Giles