1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Do you swallow while meditating?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by thejmazz, May 21, 2013.

1. thejmazz

thejmazz Member

Ok so I dont know if this will sound weird or not, but I am confused as to whether or not I should swallow while meditating. This confusion stems from my understanding that you should stay perfectly still while meditating. I can perform a 10-15 minute meditation without swallowing, but a strong sensation develops. Lol im just curious what you guys do, personally I kinda of like the added "challenge" of not swallowing, it's something else to learn to divert my attention from.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there and welcome to the community :)

swallowing is something we do without conscious effort. I wouldn't have thought it possible to not swallow for so long.

Maybe you could try "Discover Meditation" from the top left of the community. It's a wonderful easy way to meditate and it's free.

Let us know how you go on and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

It's one of those myths that you should remain perfectly still whilst meditating. The body has natural needs to breath, move etc. and meditating isn't about stopping those things from happening, but more about letting go of attachments to them, whilst still being in awareness of the body and everything. If the body needs to move, or you have an itch etc. move it, or scratch it etc. otherwise the discomfort will only serve to distract your meditation practice.

Hugs

Giles

4. thejmazz

thejmazz Member

thanks!

Okay thanks guys, I see what you mean.

@GilesC you explained it very well, thanks